General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

2014 gt issues at idel ? Rpm drops

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/20, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 gt issues at idel ? Rpm drops

When I stop at a light the rpms sometimes drop up and down ! I was told it could be I have to have the car “re learn the idel “ any suggestions on what it could be or how I can fix it please !?
Old 1/29/20, 01:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 1,053 Posts
sticky throttle body might contribute to that -- if it has been a long time since it has been cleaned (like forever?) then that would be a good thing to try first

I am not sure about relearning the idle; i would check the owner's manual; or you can disconnect the battery for about 20 minutes and that will clear everything that the computer has "learned" and it will need to "relearn"

there is also a throttle calibration procedure that involves slowly pressing the pedal to the floor (with the ignition on but the engine off) but I don't remember the specifics right now
Old 2/4/20, 11:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Bert its likely the throttle body being dirty.
Disconnect the neg battery cable,remove the throttle body,spray it with CRC throttle body cleaner,let it sit for 10 minutes,wipe it out with a rag (repeat if needed) reinstall it & reconnect the battery cable.Start it and let it idle for a few minutes then take it for a 10-20 minute drive & the ecu should relearn its idle & running strategy.Absolutely do Not open the throttle blade manually,since its a drive by wire setup.I guess you could reconnect the wiring harness to the throttle body with it unmounted,turn the key on,place something between the seat & the gas pedal to keep the pedal in the floored position so the throttle blade will also be in the WOT position,then you can clean/wipe all carbon buildup off that you weren't able to reach with the throttle blade closed.Dont apply excess force to the throttle body while cleaning it as it has a protective coating on the throttle bore.
If there are any idle problems after the cleaning/relearn,do the quick throttle pedal retrain procedure : Turn the key on,wait for all of the warning lights to go off,push the throttle pedal down slowly to the WOT position,then release the pedal and shut the engine off & you're done.