General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

06 mustang hesitates under wide open throttle

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/13, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 mustang hesitates under wide open throttle

Can any body tell me what could be ring with my 06 gt under wide open throttle it hessitates and then goes like a chicken on fire but for one split second it cuts out hard.
Old 7/17/13, 07:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a "fly-by-wire" electronic issue.
It's annoying!

My brother's old '05 Saleen had the EXACT same issue!
He ended up buying an SCT tuner and it actually fixed the hesitation.

I'm pretty sure it's common among those years. I'm not 100% that what I said is the actual issue but it sounds the exact same.
Old 7/17/13, 09:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
The issue is a dirty throttle body. And/or spark plugs need replacement. And/or fuel injectors need cleaning or there's a fuel issue. And/or fuel filter. And/or air filter. And/or fuel pump/fuel pressure at manifold issue. And/or something's wrong with the throttle pedal sensor.

...think that's about it.

Step 1: remove + battery terminal, remove throttle body, clean it with throttle body cleaner and a soft rag, replace throttle body, replace + terminal, go drive for 10 miles.

Step 2: If your sparks are getting up to 90K, then it could be time to swap 'em. Be sure to read various threads here regarding this procedure. Mine is one, there's plenty others, and the TSB. This would be a great time to also clean the TB and reset the battery.

Step 3: Throw some gumout or STP or Techron or whatever fuel injector cleaner in the tank, or have it professionally done.

Step 4: Fuel filter, air filter. Change 'em.

Step 5: Check fuel pressure, or have it done.

Step 6: Reset throttle pedal sensor sweep calibration. With the key off, turn key on, do NOT start car. Slowly, but within about 5 seconds, depress pedal until all the way to the floor, then let snap back. Start car. This may or may not help. It may require a new pedal assembly. (note, this is an odd duck, I've heard it being the way to do it, but I can't say as to its effectiveness. Seemed to work some, but... )

Past those, well, might be time to get a pro to figure out the problem.

I don't have this problem on my bone stock '06, but when I did, it was usually time to do the Throttle Body cleaning, or this last time, change the spark plugs. I keep ahead of the fuel filter/air filter issue, and throw a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank on a fill up a few whiles or so. Runs like a champ, she does, and just leaves.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by houtex; 7/17/13 at 09:52 PM.
Old 7/18/13, 07:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
The issue is a dirty throttle body. And/or spark plugs need replacement. And/or fuel injectors need cleaning or there's a fuel issue. And/or fuel filter. And/or air filter. And/or fuel pump/fuel pressure at manifold issue. And/or something's wrong with the throttle pedal sensor.

...think that's about it.

Step 1: remove + battery terminal, remove throttle body, clean it with throttle body cleaner and a soft rag, replace throttle body, replace + terminal, go drive for 10 miles.

Step 2: If your sparks are getting up to 90K, then it could be time to swap 'em. Be sure to read various threads here regarding this procedure. Mine is one, there's plenty others, and the TSB. This would be a great time to also clean the TB and reset the battery.

Step 3: Throw some gumout or STP or Techron or whatever fuel injector cleaner in the tank, or have it professionally done.

Step 4: Fuel filter, air filter. Change 'em.

Step 5: Check fuel pressure, or have it done.

Step 6: Reset throttle pedal sensor sweep calibration. With the key off, turn key on, do NOT start car. Slowly, but within about 5 seconds, depress pedal until all the way to the floor, then let snap back. Start car. This may or may not help. It may require a new pedal assembly. (note, this is an odd duck, I've heard it being the way to do it, but I can't say as to its effectiveness. Seemed to work some, but... )

Past those, well, might be time to get a pro to figure out the problem.

I don't have this problem on my bone stock '06, but when I did, it was usually time to do the Throttle Body cleaning, or this last time, change the spark plugs. I keep ahead of the fuel filter/air filter issue, and throw a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank on a fill up a few whiles or so. Runs like a champ, she does, and just leaves.

Hope that helps!
I hope this works. Much cheaper than buying a tuner.
Old 7/18/13, 08:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Gah. I meant 'Reset the computer' in step 2. Sorries.

And while I'm adding things, in step 5, the contiunation is this... if the pressure's not high enough, check the fuel filter and/or the fuel pump.

Ok, done kibitzin' myself.

Last edited by houtex; 7/18/13 at 08:17 PM.
Old 7/18/13, 09:58 PM

Hey thanks for the info but this thing only has 16,000 miles on it barely broke in it sounds like its the butterflies not opening insink with the throttle body but once it opens its ok.
Old 7/19/13, 07:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

16000 is plenty of time for the throttle body to get unclean. Also plenty of time for suspect gas. 16000 on an '06 is a LOT of sitting around, so that gas thing might be more appropos than you might think... That's only 2300 miles a year, or 6.3 miles a day...

But yeah, them butterflies could be it, I suppose.
Old 7/20/13, 12:20 PM

I'm going to change fuel filter just put flowmaster 44s on this car and runs like a beast