The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   General Mustang Chat (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/)
-   -   " 0 miles to empty" : How far can you go with that? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f657/0-miles-empty-how-far-can-you-go-496669/)

Martynas 6/20/11 10:38 AM

" 0 miles to empty" : How far can you go with that?

I have now lit 0 miles to empty. How far can I go with that? :) obviously there is still some liter or two in the tank. Did anybody went there far before it is actually empty :)?

JiveFive0 6/20/11 11:57 AM

LOL
you are a brave soul, I personally get nervous when i see it says 30 miles to E :D

I believe there should be a liter or 2 in there, but havent tried it out yet.
would be good to know tho especially on road trips. :thumb:

Ronin38 6/20/11 12:03 PM

Don't forget, though, that if you run the tank very low, you have the chance of the fuel pump sucking up whatever sediment, etc. is in the bottom of the tank. That can gum up the fuel filter and/or injectors, too. Generally not a good idea.

Not to mention embarrassing sitting by the roadside with such a nice looking... dead... car! :D

2011_STANG_GT 6/20/11 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ronin38
Don't forget, though, that if you run the tank very low, you have the chance of the fuel pump sucking up whatever sediment, etc. is in the bottom of the tank. That can gum up the fuel filter and/or injectors, too. Generally not a good idea.

This!!

Just don't do it, period

Martynas 6/20/11 04:01 PM

I have just back from The gas station. Filled up 14 gallons with two clicks at the end. So theoretically there were still some 16-14 = 2 gallons left. Which would make 15-30 miles to go in worst case :D

Cusp 6/20/11 10:47 PM

If I were going to run that test, running it until I said some low number then measuring the amount of gas it took, I would do it several times to see how repeatable things are. I would not rely on figures from some one elses car. I an on a road trip now. I almost never let her get below 1/4 tank. Fillups usually are in the 10 to 13 gallon range. once she took 14.5 and I was getting low fuel alerts.

2k7gtcs 6/20/11 10:54 PM

I wanna see someone get -1 miles to empty. Then I will be impressed.

11SHELBYGT500 6/20/11 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

How about 1/2 mile to empty?

Rather B.Blown 6/20/11 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs (Post 6093806)

It never goes to negative numbers, but at 10 miles past 0, it pops up a message that says "Hope you're wearing comfortable shoes, dumb ***." :p

stupidgenius36 6/21/11 01:18 AM

:lol: I ran her down to 20 mi. once...just once. I rarely ever let it get below a quarter of a tank.

MR-STANG 6/21/11 12:37 PM

Ask Kramer...
He's gone further from the left of the Slash than anyone...
Seinfeld reference (sad if you don't know this already)
LJS

ford4v429 6/23/11 08:45 PM

if it gets low enough to slosh/starve for a few seconds, its really rough on the fuel pump...fuel cools the motor and kinda lubricates the pump...a few seconds dry is probably like a year of wear...

I cut the one apart on my old camaro when it failed(ran it low once too often) was kinda shocked that gas actually flows thru the motor- brushes and all...guess its not much different than the wirewound wiper on the sending unit(the one I changed on my lincoln had actually burned in half somehow- had the little migwelder wire ball looking spots on the open ends of the winding), guess long as theres gas/high concentration of fumes theres not enough oxygen to ignite, but still kinda scary when you think about things that normally spark in open air running full time submerged in fuel...often wondered if anyones ever changed a fuel pump and got enough fresh air in the tank/not enough gas to turn it into a bomb when the keys turned the first time...

DNDRCNG 9/2/16 08:35 AM

Accidentally just finished testing this.

i personally and UNwillingly just made it about 10 miles maybe a little farther with this thing sitting on "0" to get to the closest gas station I could find.... Boy was I scared!

Automatic 5.0 9/2/16 10:05 AM

You might have premature fuel pump failure if you run it dry. I think the pump relies on the gas to cool it.

PJRManagement 9/2/16 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by MR-STANG (Post 6094101)
Ask Kramer...
He's gone further from the left of the Slash than anyone...
Seinfeld reference (sad if you don't know this already)
LJS

---
YES!

junkman9096 9/3/16 08:13 PM

I ran it down to 35 miles once and was scared.......witless. I have AAA too. I guess I've lost the love for dancing on the edge.

2k7gtcs 9/3/16 09:03 PM

Listen to me. When that car rolls into that dealership, and that tank is bone dry, I want you to be there with me when everyone says, "Kramer and that other guy, oh, they went further to the left of the slash than anyone ever dreamed!"

Rather B.Blown 9/3/16 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs (Post 6995102)
Listen to me. When that car rolls into that dealership, and that tank is bone dry, I want you to be there with me when everyone says, "Kramer and that other guy, oh, they went further to the left of the slash than anyone ever dreamed!"

:lol::lol:

Rather B.Blown 9/3/16 09:26 PM

If I'd have known things were gonna turn out like this in life, I'd have killed myself a long time ago. Now its too late to do it, too many people depend on me. :rofl2:

shaneyusa 9/4/16 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown (Post 6093816)
It never goes to negative numbers, but at 10 miles past 0, it pops up a message that says "Hope you're wearing comfortable shoes, dumb ***." :p

LOL Love it :lol::lol::lol: