The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Introductions (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f650/)
-   -   Ford Man (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f650/ford-man-535821/)

gregaba 2/28/15 11:27 AM

Ford Man

Hi
I am retired now but have been a Ford man forever. I rebuild my first Ford engine when I was 12 years old with my dads held. It was a 239 ci flathead.
I was a certified master tech for as long as the ASE has been giving out the certifications.
I have had my own shop for 40 years and build race engines, hot rods and custom cars.
Glad to find this site because I have a problem with the MT 82 tranny in my 13 Boss 302 and can't seem to get much help from Ford. Don't want to do anything that will kill my warrenty.
Greg

Glenn 2/28/15 03:10 PM

I think your user name should be Ford man and the title of this thread should have been gregaba. ut Welcome just the same

gregaba 2/28/15 05:44 PM

Thanks but I figured that on this site there would all ready be someone with the Ford man name.
Greg

Glenn 2/28/15 06:12 PM

What is your trans doing? Is it still under warranty?

gregaba 2/28/15 06:39 PM

The tranny is locking out at 7000 rpm. The last time it happened I was merging on the turnpike and it locked up and I couldn't shift it. There was a semi coming up on me and the only way I missed him was taking the safety lane which is about 3 feet wide. It all so sounded like there was a ball bearing stuck in the gears.
Called Ford customer service and they made an appointment for me at the dealership.
The manager [who owns a 13 LS] and me went on a test drive with him driving and he told Ford he couldn't reproduce the problem, but he never ran it over 4500 rpm.
It is also hard to shift when cold, takes about two miles before it shifts ok. It is all ways real notchie.
The Ford manager told me I just didn't know how to shift a standard tranny.
I didn't say anything but I have been racing Fords and Vetts from the early 60's and can make a 4 speed sound like an automatic.
I think it is just that Ford know's they have a crappy chinese made tranny and tries to put everyone off untill the warrenty runs out.
I told my dealer that I had a Blowfish adp. and a Steeda shifter and drive shaft to correct the problem but the 2 dealers I asked said if I installed them it would void the warrenty.
It is a 13 with 16700 miles so still has the warrenty.
Greg

tukatz 2/28/15 06:59 PM

Sounds like a job for Deysha.

Earlsays 2/28/15 08:12 PM

Yeah, just bite the bullet and use the aftermarket parts to fix the transmission issues-my 13 v6 was the same way, which is why my 14 GT is an auto

gregaba 3/1/15 09:22 AM

I posted it in the warrentee section but with the response I have got from the dealers here in Oklahoma I don't expect much.
I am thinking of converting to a manual valve body auto when this tranny blows but an auto in a Boss just doesn't seem right.
Greg

shaneyusa 3/1/15 09:41 AM

Welcome to TMS Ford Man (Greg). I would PM Deysha and have her do her magic. She is under the user name of FordService. She seems to get the right people involved to find a solution. With such a iconic car, I hope you get the problem solved.

By the way, Post some pictures!

FordService 3/2/15 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by gregaba (Post 6903152)
The tranny is locking out at 7000 rpm. The last time it happened I was merging on the turnpike and it locked up and I couldn't shift it. There was a semi coming up on me and the only way I missed him was taking the safety lane which is about 3 feet wide. It all so sounded like there was a ball bearing stuck in the gears.
Called Ford customer service and they made an appointment for me at the dealership.
The manager [who owns a 13 LS] and me went on a test drive with him driving and he told Ford he couldn't reproduce the problem, but he never ran it over 4500 rpm.
It is also hard to shift when cold, takes about two miles before it shifts ok. It is all ways real notchie.
The Ford manager told me I just didn't know how to shift a standard tranny.
I didn't say anything but I have been racing Fords and Vetts from the early 60's and can make a 4 speed sound like an automatic.
I think it is just that Ford know's they have a crappy chinese made tranny and tries to put everyone off untill the warrenty runs out.
I told my dealer that I had a Blowfish adp. and a Steeda shifter and drive shaft to correct the problem but the 2 dealers I asked said if I installed them it would void the warrenty.
It is a 13 with 16700 miles so still has the warrenty.
Greg

Welcome to the forum, gregaba! This tells me there’s already a case for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, and best daytime number so I can review this for you.

Originally Posted by tukatz (Post 6903164)
Sounds like a job for Deysha.

Originally Posted by shaneyusa (Post 6903312)
Welcome to TMS Ford Man (Greg). I would PM Deysha and have her do her magic. She is under the user name of FordService. She seems to get the right people involved to find a solution. With such a iconic car, I hope you get the problem solved.

By the way, Post some pictures!

Thank you for the support, guys!

Deysha

Jim74656 3/3/15 04:16 PM

Welcome to the herd and congrats on your iconic car!

Mustang Freak 3/3/15 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jim74656 (Post 6904075)
Welcome to the herd and congrats on your iconic car!

Agree!!!

gregaba 3/5/15 03:48 PM

Some pictures
Greg

gregaba 3/5/15 03:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hit the wrong button, maybe some pictures

mustangfan410 3/5/15 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by gregaba (Post 6904799)
Hit the wrong button, maybe some pictures

Nice!

gregaba 3/5/15 05:10 PM

Thanks
Greg

cdynaco 3/5/15 05:15 PM

Welcome to TMS! :nice:

shaneyusa 3/5/15 07:04 PM

Very nice!

GrnT 3/9/15 11:45 AM

Your Boss is sweet. :nice: We have an all ford family also. :cool:

ElkGroveFordGuy 3/9/15 05:54 PM

Welcome nice car, hope you get it straightened away!
I would put on your new parts then if it gives you a problem switch it back, to stock before going to the dealer, for any transmission issues!