Would you rather?

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/05, 10:18 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riddle me this...
We looked at houses today...

The neighborhood I live in is 20 years old roughly. All of them are split foyer 3 bed 2 bath 2 car garage homes for around 130,000-150,000. They were made in the era of masonite is king- so anything we bought would need exterior remodeling or live with the starting to rot masonite..

They are building a new sector over here- brick houses, split foyer, 3bed 2.5 baths etc etc.....Same idea, lot less house and land... $169,000-189,000.

Hmmmm...

Older: [attachmentid=22752]

Newer: [attachmentid=22753]
Only basic difference is the $50,000 difference in the price.
Old 5/29/05, 10:34 PM
GTR Member

newer because it has better wiring and stuff.
Old 5/29/05, 10:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Older because it is 50 thousand cheaperand bigger.So you can buy that and get an 07 cobra.
Old 5/29/05, 10:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Older
my house was built in the mid 70's and everything works just as it would for a brand new one, and it's still rock solid as far as modern houses go. It would'nt even be too bad for one from the mid 80's. I'd jump on it in a heartbeat if I saw a deal like that.
Old 5/29/05, 10:48 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
What are the dimensions of the lots? How about landscaping, trees vs plants?
Old 5/29/05, 10:57 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

The house I live in now, and the ones I am looking at (older) are heavily treed(oaks and pines) and established bushes/gardens/fenced yards,normal neighbors(I love it here).They are on acre lots. The picture of the older already has been remodeled. I basically fell in love with this neighborhood, and rented a house in here to wait for what I want to go on the market.(long story, my big plan for life in the country wound up blowing hard)Right now that house and its twin are for sale. Its twin needs extensive work and is on the market super cheap. BUT its on a corner culdesac lot.

The new ones are about 1/4 acre, and all the trees got killed to make the houses. They are brick and vinyl
I would basically pay $50,000 to say " I live on Heather Lane" BUT the houses are brand new.Buyer picks colors.

My Dad is a contractor- I got a rough quote of $5,000 material only to repair one of the ones I am looking at(soffit,new vents, vinyling it). Not to mention the inside may still be dark paneled with a yellow kitchen.
Old 5/29/05, 11:02 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

OLDER:
ALABASTER, AL 35007
$144,900
4 Bed, 3 Bath
Single Family Property, Area: 272-Alabaster/Maylene, Subdivision: SCOTTSDALE, County: SHELBY, Year Built: 1984, Story and a half, Garage, Central air conditioning, Community swimming pool(s), Basement, Fireplace(s), Hardwood floors

Single Family Property
Area: 272-Alabaster/Maylene
County: SHELBY
Subdivision:
Year Built: 1984
4 total bedroom(s)
3 total bath(s)
3 total full bath(s)
Story and a half
Type: Existing residential house
Basement
Hardwood floors
Fireplace(s)
Fireplace features: Wood burning fireplace
2 car garage
Heating features: Electric,Htpump,Humidifr
Central air conditioning
Interior features: Breakfast bar, Pantry, Dishwasher, Electric stove, Attic walk up, Sprayed ceilings, Carpet floor, Vinyl floor, Separate shower, Tub shower combination, Cooling:Heat pump
Exterior features: Heavily treed lot, Interior lot, Subdivision lot, Covered porch, Fenced yard, Basement garage
Exterior construction: Brick over foundation
Energy Info: Ceiling fan/paddle fans
Community swimming pool(s)
Approximate lot is 110 X 162
Old 5/29/05, 11:04 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

One of the 4 new ones:

ALABASTER, AL 35007
$169,900
3 Bed, 2 Bath

Single Family Property, Area: 272-Alabaster/Maylene, Subdivision: SCOTTSDALE, County: SHELBY, Year Built: 2005, Garage, Fireplace(s), Hardwood floors

Single Family Property
Area: 272-Alabaster/Maylene
County: SHELBY
Subdivision:
Year Built: 2005
3 total bedroom(s)
2 total bath(s)
2 total full bath(s)
Type: To be built
Style: One level
Hardwood floors
Fireplace(s)
Fireplace features: Wood burning fireplace
2 car garage
Heating features: Central,Electric,ForcedAir
Interior features: Built in microwave, Dishwasher, Electric stove, Attic pulldown, Carpet floor, Tile floor, Separate shower, Tub shower combination, Cooling:Electiric, Cooling:Heat pump
Exterior construction: 1 Side brick, Vinyl siding
Located on a cul-de-sac
Old 5/29/05, 11:10 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
I would go for the older. An established neighborhood means a lot, you know exactly how it is and a good probability on how it would stay. A new neighboorhood with smaller lots can means your neighbors will be closer, a higher density of homes, and once it is completely built it can look like a parking lot.

I like what I see in the older (top pic) home.
Old 5/29/05, 11:34 PM
GTR Member

the more that i think about it, I think George is correct, yet again, George is correct.
Old 5/30/05, 04:03 AM
Cobra Member

I'd go with the older house and not just because of price. You'd have a larger lot and the landscaping would already be in. You could always rehab over time if you want to do that. Older houses seem to have a little more "character" than new ones plus you have the benefit of knowing the neighborhood.

April, I rememember your post a while back about the incredible homes available in another town. I've lost the the link, but those were amazing. Perhaps that colors my perspective, but that's the road I'd choose.

I have no idea what's available in your area so I'm not qualified to give you anything but my opinion. but unless I won the lottery and could build a house to my exact specs, I'd choose an older home 99% of the time. Oh, and those prices almost make me want to cry. You wouldn't believe how expensive houses are here in California. Maybe I should to move to AL .

Good luck in your search.
Old 5/30/05, 09:02 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

EEK!!! that place! Those houses are where I used to live- I despised it there! Twenty months of hades on earth. Inbred unfriendly country folk. When I say Inbred I am not being unkind, it was common practice to marry a cousin down there. I did have a two acre garden and 50 year old azaleas thoug. Old houses there they are, lovely but you don't wanna live there......Heres their crappy $475 a month school School

The older one is growin on me! The newer ones are still in this neighborhood, but follow the current trend of "packin em in". I love houses with Dormer windows. And I love A Frames(but it isn't for sale, that's the one I have been waiting on). PLUS I would get to keep the same floor plan cause all the houses here look different on the outside, but are the same on the inside.

And my neighbors(minus the delinquents) Rock. Best set of people I have ever lived amongst.
Old 5/30/05, 02:08 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

To think the condo next to us sold for $900,000. Thats basically a 1200 sqft two story Apt, the rooms are 12X12, and 10X10, 2 bd, 2.5 bath.

If we want to buy a house in the neighborhood we are living in, (we adore it here, we cant move to Texas, or CO so, this is where we will stay) We will be paying a MINIMUM of $1.5 mil. If we actually want some LAND to go around it, we are looking at closer to $3 mil. And no, COL does not equate to housing any longer. The Cost Of Living increases have stayed at 2%, yet housing has increased over 50%.

I am thinking we need to buy a house in a different state, rent it out, and then refinance every couple years just to get some cash. Owning a home makes us a better credit risk too... Still thinking on that.
Old 5/30/05, 02:15 PM
FR500 Member

get an 07 cobra..thats good mark
Old 5/30/05, 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I wnat a house ready to move into. I don't want to spend every minute working on it.
Old 5/30/05, 03:52 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I just took Ellie Mudboggin in a brand new pleasant valley neighborhood. Eww. Talk about nasty.
I was appaled- the parking is in an alley out back on the small ones
the medium ones would fit in my living room.
The huge ones- But the problem is- its in CALERA alabama and I remember when that was a scary redneck town. And in the middel of nowhere, and the price- ouch!

Gotta stay in this school zone also.

I have plenty of time to play, so time's on my side.
Old 5/30/05, 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm all for older homes because they have character. My own house is a grand dame of 79 with beautiful details that you just don't see these days in new construction without paying outrageous fees to an artisan. Newer construction is interesting too though because you have a hand in building the character, i.e. choosing colors, materials, landscaping that years down the road will hopefully be admired and appreciated. No matter what you decide on, invest in a good home inspector for peace of mind.

Good luck with the house hunting!
Old 5/30/05, 04:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by EleanorsMine@May 29, 2005, 10:21 PM
Riddle me this...
We looked at houses today...

The neighborhood I live in is 20 years old roughly. All of them are split foyer 3 bed 2 bath 2 car garage homes for around 130,000-150,000. They were made in the era of masonite is king- so anything we bought would need exterior remodeling or live with the starting to rot masonite..

They are building a new sector over here- brick houses, split foyer, 3bed 2.5 baths etc etc.....Same idea, lot less house and land... $169,000-189,000.

Hmmmm...

Older: [attachmentid=22752]

Newer: [attachmentid=22753]
Only basic difference is the $50,000 difference in the price.
Yes but if you puchase old no warrenty and have to spend a WACK to fix then you may end up paying more than the new lot with warrenty, more land = more tax's and care so less time in the car and on the PC chatting to all the nice TMS'rs my 4.5 cents Ed
Old 5/30/05, 04:39 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Aww ****.

I go with Character- old or new.

But I gotta love treed lots and established lanscaping! Gimme shade and plants and I am happy.

I set our Estimated Departure from this house in May 2006. Plus My Dad has agreed to install vinyl and soffit and a sunburst vent for us when we move.
Old 5/30/05, 07:26 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i know this is gonna be totally off topic but (hey this is off topic after all)

HOLY CRAP! houses that big for <$200K!!!!

our house is waaaaaaay smaller w/ and nice trees and a lawn smaller than a pool and it cost us over $600K and then some!

thats crazy...