Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

WHATS FOR DINNER?

Search this Thread

Old 12/17/12, 08:15 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
This isn't some old shack of a place. It's really good though.
I've been thinking about trying it, but just never have. I don't really know where to go, most of the Chinese restaurants around here look like dives and all I think about when I see them is the one I saw when I was working as a kid.

There is one that looks like a pretty nice place close to the Olive Garden I get dragged to. I think its PF Changs, but I wouldn't know what to order because I'm so picky about my food (onions, tomatoes, etc. that I don't eat.) and I've never had Chinese food before.

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Yup. I've seen things. But to talk of them would be racist. Or seem racist. So I digress.

Let's just say I spent three years in school in Rockport, Texas where hundreds of vietnamese refugees showed up on boats or were brought there by the Feds. They took over the local shrimping industry and also the asian restaurant scene. Made friends with many of them, but when I was in their homes and saw the practices with food in the kitchen I was appalled. Then there was the fact that they saved and used their own human excrement for fertilizer in their gardens.
OK, maybe I need to scratch my reply to Nate above and stick with my instinct, LOL.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 12/17/12 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12/17/12, 08:25 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

I've been thinking about trying it, but just never have. I don't really know where to go, most of the Chinese restaurants around here look like dives and all I think about when I see them is the one I saw when I was working as a kid.

There is one that looks like a pretty nice place close to the Olive Garden I get dragged to. I think its PF Changs, but I wouldn't know what to order because I'm so picky about my food (onions, tomatoes, etc. that I don't eat.) and I've never had Chinese food before.

OK, maybe I need to scratch my reply to Nate above and stick with my instinct, LOL.
PF Changs is good bet if you're trying that style of food. Its over priced for what you get but it's a national chain so at least u know it's real chicken
Old 12/17/12, 08:27 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts

PF Changs is fine. It's a chain. The cooks are probably mexicans. lol

I usually go to PF Changs or Pei Wei their more fast food type place. The combination fried rice is good. Beef with broccoli is always a good traditional dish that americans usually like. I like their beef mongolian but they have shallots in them which I like.

Just read the menu and avoid the onions and mushrooms. No tomatoes in Chinese. That's Thai. No worries there.

And they sell Crown so you're good to go!
Old 12/17/12, 08:32 PM
Post *****

As far as local dives avoid them. They may e good tasting but unless you have a cast iron stomach you'll regret it like I did recently.

10 years ago I got take out from a local place. We'd been eating there for years. Well as we were eating I noticed something long and thin was caught in my teeth. I though oh great a hair. Well I pulled it out and looked at it and it was an antenna. I started freakin out a little bit and looked in the fried rice I was eating and there were small roaches in it. I spit out my food and sure enough I had one in my mouth and at some too.

I was puking like crazy. Like Ace Ventura in the bath tub with the plunger on his face.

So we call them and they basically tell is that its no big deal. Sometimes they fall in off the shelf!

So I heard the place changed hands recently and they had remodeled so I gave it a try.

No insects this time, but I was on the toilet all day long. Oye.
Old 12/17/12, 08:35 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's how the local chinese lady says pork fried rice on the phone. "po fry rhy"
right lol

I was in Oakland at a Chinese buffet and the pan with beef looking stuff was 'beef tri soo'. I said whut? he said 'beef tri soo'.
Wound up it was beef tripe stew. Freakin honeycomb tripe.
Old 12/17/12, 08:39 PM
Post *****

Made friends with many of them, but when I was in their homes and saw the practices with food in the kitchen I was appalled. Then there was the fact that they saved and used their own human excrement for fertilizer in their gardens.
No different than the produce coming out of Mexico and Central America with sewage for irrigation. Dam FDA should require foreign countries to meet our standards if they want to export.

Had friends that went to Columbia on a mission several years ago. The wife broke out with something on her lips from their irrigated gardens. (The chicken head soup sounded creepy. Beaks and combs beaks and combs! lol) Then they went back a few years later to Honduras and he came back full of worms. Eff south of the border!

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/17/12 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12/17/12, 08:45 PM
Post *****

So we call them and they basically tell is that its no big deal. Sometimes they fall in off the shelf!
I remember a place in Dunsmuir CA that had a contract to be open for the railroaders. Real dive. I'm checking the tub of chicken base to see if they're ready for another. Pop the lid and 2 roaches are livin the high life.

So that's why I cook at home. And drink a bit to get in the mood. And have doctor's approval.

If I do eat out on occasion (really can't afford to these days) I first check out the bathrooms. Having come in the kitchen door for 10 years on the coffee route, I can tell you that the state of the bathrooms is a pretty good indicator of the condition of the kitchen.
Old 12/17/12, 08:46 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by cdynaco

I remember a place in Dunsmuir CA that had a contract to be open for the railroaders. Real dive. I'm checking the tub of chicken base to see if they're ready for another. Pop the lid and 2 roaches are livin the high life.

So that's why I cook at home. And drink a bit to get in the mood. And have doctor's approval.

If I do eat out on occasion (really can't afford to these days) I first check out the bathrooms. Having come in the kitchen door for 10 years on the coffee route, I can tell you that the state of the bathrooms is a pretty good indicator of the condition of the kitchen.
Sounds like wise words.

I'll remember that.
Old 12/17/12, 08:52 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
PF Changs is good bet if you're trying that style of food. Its over priced for what you get but it's a national chain so at least u know it's real chicken
PF Changs is fine. It's a chain. The cooks are probably mexicans. lol

I usually go to PF Changs or Pei Wei their more fast food type place. The combination fried rice is good. Beef with broccoli is always a good traditional dish that americans usually like. I like their beef mongolian but they have shallots in them which I like.

Just read the menu and avoid the onions and mushrooms. No tomatoes in Chinese. That's Thai. No worries there.

And they sell Crown so you're good to go!

Been looking at the menu, and there's some things on there that sound pretty good and like something I'd eat (or at least try). And with enough Crown in me, I'll try pretty much anything once. Just ask my ol lady. Better yet, don't.

Old 12/17/12, 08:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Been looking at the menu, and there's some things on there that sound pretty good and like something I'd eat (or at least try). And with enough Crown in me, I'll try pretty much anything once. Just ask my ol lady. Better yet, don't.

But mmm Crown!
Old 12/17/12, 08:54 PM
Post *****

You'll like it. It's safe. And nothing beats good Chinese. And coming from a gravy ***** like me. It's the sauces that I love so much. And you can't beat fried rice with eggs and chicken and pork and shrimp in it. Plus it's the only way I'll eat peas.
Old 12/17/12, 08:55 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll like it. It's safe. And nothing beats good Chinese. And coming from a gravy ***** like me. It's the sauces that I love so much. And you can't beat fried rice with eggs and chicken and pork and shrimp in it. Plus it's the only way I'll eat peas.
This.
Old 12/17/12, 08:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

except for the shrimp part
Old 12/17/12, 08:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

This. Although I'll tolerate them in chicken paprikash too (Hungarian dish we make at home, my dad is 1/4 Hungarian).
Old 12/17/12, 09:02 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Well, you lost me with the eggs, unless they have biscuits and gravy to go with them.
Old 12/17/12, 09:05 PM
Post *****

Well, you lost me with the eggs, unless they have biscuits and gravy to go with them.
It's pieces of a hard fried egg. And trust me. It's good. Wouldn't be the same without it.
Old 12/17/12, 09:07 PM
Post *****

I like to put the rice on the plate with the entree and let it soak up the sauce. Then I'll use an eggroll and run it through there like a biscuit in gravy and get some sauce and sauce soaked rice in it and eat each bite like that. Or just dunk the egg roll or even a wonton on the sauce from the beef.

Much like a piece of toast in the yolk of an over easy egg.
Old 12/17/12, 09:22 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I like to put the rice on the plate with the entree and let it soak up the sauce. Then I'll use an eggroll and run it through there like a biscuit in gravy and get some sauce and sauce soaked rice in it and eat each bite like that. Or just dunk the egg roll or even a wonton on the sauce from the beef.

Much like a piece of toast in the yolk of an over easy egg.
What's usually in the eggroll and the wonton?
Old 12/17/12, 09:28 PM
Post *****

What's usually in the eggroll and the wonton?
Wonton is just the fried egg roll skin. Whatever that is. Some kind of egg based dough with rice flour I suppose. Basically a wonton is the tortilla chip of Chinese cuisine.

Inside the egg roll is mostly cabbage. With pork and some vegetables and spices. I think theirs have shredded carrots in them.

But both are fried.
Old 12/17/12, 10:03 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
dang it.. I just ate like 45 mins ago.. now im hungry again after reading all these posts.

this is why im fat

I mean husky

Quick Reply: WHATS FOR DINNER?