Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

random stuff

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/20, 06:25 PM
GT Member

Received 353 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
now you're starting to think like a good capitalist, maybe there is hope for you after all!

and yes there is plenty of potential wealth for everyone; you just have to get to work and create it, you don't need to take it away from someone else and the fact that some people have more than others does not mean that they stole it from someone else
For liberals, they did steal it. Nothing of value created, no beneficial exchange of money for services, yet they ALL end up MILLIONAIRES in very short order. Amazing.
Old 8/12/20, 08:06 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4xFord
Wages went up for EVERY SECTOR under President Trump, and increased FASTEST for those in the lowest wage jobs - basic economics, applied. Study up.
WRONG!!? Not even close by a long shot! Yes some lower paid jobs went up but not as many as you would think. Some companies temporarily raised wages only to take them away AND reduce hours. Talk to your grocery store workers and study up yourself.
Old 8/13/20, 06:40 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
being as most ( I say half ) of the convenience stores in my area are owned by indians ( not American indians but india indians ) i have made a bit of an attempt to learn a little of their language .. especially since the one who operates the store i visit most frequently is quite a hotty .. anywho i have learned that Kim-cho is a greeting that sort of says " good day how are you ? " and they will usually respond with " majamma " which is i`m fine thank you for asking " .. yet i have learned that even among indians ( people from india ) that some words do not mean the same thing as i have gotten illegible responses from other indians in other stores .. today i visit a store in my area that i do not frequent very often and as i am paying for my produce ( beer) i say Kim -cho .. and i get a blank look from the attendant .. i say majamma and get the same look .. they respond with some gibberish i dont understand then i realize they are not indian ( from india ) ... they are iranian ( from iran ) .. the people who own the other half of all convenience stores ... hA ! but they love their new country and not a single one of them is with the crowd that wants to burn everything down ..
The following users liked this post:
SpectreH (8/13/20)
Old 8/13/20, 07:04 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I've met people from India, Pakistan, Turkey, Canada, Germany, Mexico, and others that immigrated here properly. All of them were/are very patriotic and believe there is a right way and wrong way to come to the country..
4x4xFord (8/13/20)
Old 8/13/20, 08:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
WRONG!!? Not even close by a long shot! Yes some lower paid jobs went up but not as many as you would think. Some companies temporarily raised wages only to take them away AND reduce hours. Talk to your grocery store workers and study up yourself.
Every sector saw an increase, as long as the wages hadn't already been artificially inflated by minimum wage hikes - these actually cause real income to drop by reducing opportunity.

Can you find a location that dropped? Sure. The local grocers are ALL over minimum wage, with signing bonuses and benefits. The supply/demand curve dictated it.

Queried a few friends in Lan Pa (lived off Strasburg Pike for 7 years, so I know the area). Giant and Stauffer's both increasing wages.

Last edited by 4x4xFord; 8/13/20 at 09:01 PM.
Old 8/14/20, 01:57 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Every sector saw an increase, as long as the wages hadn't already been artificially inflated by minimum wage hikes - these actually cause real income to drop by reducing opportunity.

Can you find a location that dropped? Sure. The local grocers are ALL over minimum wage, with signing bonuses and benefits. The supply/demand curve dictated it.

Queried a few friends in Lan Pa (lived off Strasburg Pike for 7 years, so I know the area). Giant and Stauffer's both increasing wages.
Got wife, relatives and friends working at several different grocery stores including Stauffer's of Kissel Hill. They've been artificially raised only then to be rescinded WITH hour reductions WHILE keeping everyone part time. Some received a 2.5% raise mighty big coming from record profits by greedy corporations raking in big bucks during a crisis. Reminds me of the oil boom a few years ago when those companies made BILLIONS in profits that year while WE ALL paid $4+ bucks a gallon!
Old 8/14/20, 05:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
. . . only then to be rescinded WITH hour reductions WHILE keeping everyone part time. . . .
was this during the pandemic by any chance?

Old 8/14/20, 04:45 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bert
was this during the pandemic by any chance?
Shhhh...don't apply logic. The reduction in economic activity HAS to be President Trump's fault, otherwise the house of cards that liberals use to avoid the truth collapses...
Old 8/14/20, 04:46 PM
GT Member

Got wife, relatives and friends working at several different grocery stores including Stauffer's of Kissel Hill. They've been artificially raised only then to be rescinded WITH hour reductions WHILE keeping everyone part time. Some received a 2.5% raise mighty big coming from record profits by greedy corporations raking in big bucks during a crisis. Reminds me of the oil boom a few years ago when those companies made BILLIONS in profits that year while WE ALL paid $4+ bucks a gallon!
Don't like the wage where you're working? GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. Wages elsewhere aren't higher? Maybe the problem lies closer to home.
Old 8/14/20, 09:36 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

It's just sad that companies can get away with such low wages and reduced hours and no insurance and this and that and on and on while still making huge profits but hey here's a gift card token of our appreciation.
Old 8/15/20, 09:15 AM
GT Member

Yeah, it's too bad that people are required to work there. I mean, if it were possible to go somewhere else, they would have to pay fair wages to attract employees. If only someone would make the economy grow, reducing unemployment and creating job opportunities.
Old 8/15/20, 09:37 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

It's just sad that companies can get away with such low wages and reduced hours and no insurance and this and that and on and on while still making huge profits but hey here's a gift card token of our appreciation.
I think that was the result of the Affordable Care Act. Businesses used a loophole in that law that allowed them to reduce hours, call the employee a part timer, and not pay for insurance.
Old 8/15/20, 11:48 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Corporations outsourcing American jobs to other countries like my former employer did didn't help either.
Old 8/15/20, 04:08 PM
GT Member

Corporations outsourcing American jobs to other countries like my former employer did didn't help either.
Definitely not a good plan for anyone in this country. Tariffs are meant to level that playing field for American workers.

During the clinton years, NAFTA and trade policies that were focused on buying friends killed prospects for workers. The southern U.S. was hit with loss of textile jobs, loss of manufacturing jobs, loss of farm jobs. Pro job growth policies have helped to turn that tide.
Old 8/15/20, 06:33 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Definitely not a good plan for anyone in this country. Tariffs are meant to level that playing field for American workers.

During the clinton years, NAFTA and trade policies that were focused on buying friends killed prospects for workers. The southern U.S. was hit with loss of textile jobs, loss of manufacturing jobs, loss of farm jobs. Pro job growth policies have helped to turn that tide.
Unfortunately the pay isn't returning with the jobs as the tide turns because big businesses can dictate the lower pay and get away with it. The Bush administration didn't help defend our jobs either.

Last edited by Mustang Freak; 8/15/20 at 06:34 PM.
Old 8/15/20, 07:57 PM
GT Member

Unfortunately the pay isn't returning with the jobs as the tide turns because big businesses can dictate the lower pay and get away with it. The Bush administration didn't help defend our jobs either.
That's because the demotards seem intent on repealing the tariffs that are returning jobs. As long as it looks like a waiting game-just hold out and the lower prices available overseas will be an option-and there is reduced incentive to actually grow and invest in local jobs.

Companies need to want to develop long term plans. As long as it looks like Biden can destroy any progress in the very near term, it's a fools game.
SpectreH (8/15/20)
Old 8/16/20, 05:15 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
Democrats: The minimum wage should be enough to live on.

Republicans: Ok, we'll raise the minimum wage,
but only hire part-time, cut hours, or close stores conpletely for profit.

There was a Walmart that was going to unionize,
& Walmart closed the store & goes, "oh, it wasn't performing well"

that's bull
Question - do you want the high school student working a part time job to make the same wage that his parents make? Does he need a "living wage"? Does she need to earn enough to support a household with 2 adults and 2 children? No. Trying to force wages like that for entry level jobs guarantees that there WON'T BE ANY ENTRY LEVEL JOBS. This sort of idiocy is why everyone with a brain votes Republican.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4x4xFord:
Bert (8/17/20), SpectreH (8/17/20)
Old 8/17/20, 05:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Democrats: The minimum wage should be enough to live on.

Stockholders (this means you): Ok, we'll raise the minimum wage,
but only hire part-time, cut hours, or close stores conpletely for profit.

There was a Walmart that was going to unionize,
& Walmart closed the store & goes, "oh, it wasn't performing well"
Fixed it for you -- and now that you are a Walmart stockholder, you can to go the stockholder's meeting and talk all the other stockholders into reducing their returns so they can pay non-skilled entry-level jobs a "living wage"

You can also convince them to keep stores open, unionize, anything you want -- that's how it works when you are an owner of the company

Just wondering though, how much is a "living wage" anyway?

The question is: should parents be getting less hours at work than their children are?
Some parents are working 3 part-time jobs, instead of 1 full-time job.

Parents are making a living wage.

Yeah, Jeff Bezos banked billions from COVID, while his employees aren't allowed a break to pee.
you are contradicting yourself again, I can't even figure out what you are trying to say

Who is holding a gun to those Amazon workers heads; forcing them to work there?

Why don't you and all the other whiners put your money and your heads together and start a competitor to Amazon, and treat people right?

Or, put your money where your mouth is a different way -- stop buying from them?
Old 8/17/20, 06:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

That's because the demotards seem intent on repealing the tariffs that are returning jobs. As long as it looks like a waiting game-just hold out and the lower prices available overseas will be an option-and there is reduced incentive to actually grow and invest in local jobs.

Companies need to want to develop long term plans. As long as it looks like Biden can destroy any progress in the very near term, it's a fools game.
Apparently these geniuses still haven't figured out the very simple basics of how businesses work. Business is a game of managing risk; trying to predict the future and decide where to invest today, in hopes of returns tomorrow. If there is uncertainty, rational business people will sit back and wait to see what happens before they risk their capital.

Obama -- anti-business; thinks we can tax and regulate our way to prosperity, promises more taxes and more regulations: result = slowest recovery in history
Trump -- pro-business; reduces taxes and cuts regulations; result = economic boom, everyone benefits
Biden -- likely to be anti-business like his buddy Obama; probably thinks he can regulate our way to prosperity; result = "ummmm, I think we'll just sit this one out . . ."
4x4xFord (8/17/20)
Old 8/17/20, 08:07 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Minimum wage was never designee dot raise a family on. Don't like minimum wage, you need something besides minimum skills. Obamacare caused a lot of employers to slash hours to get around providing healthcare.
4x4xFord (8/17/20)

Quick Reply: random stuff