General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Z/28 Ring time set.

Search this Thread

Old 10/15/13, 07:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Z/28 Ring time set.

Looks impressive. Can't wait for Fords answer.

Old 10/15/13, 07:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, pretty cool. I'm interested in Ford will counter with as well. Maybe that's what the Mach 1 comeback will be all about.

I still like the current Boss better than what the Z is promising.
Old 10/16/13, 12:29 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
'ring times are fun to watch but there is zero control over how they set these things up.

Going by this, if say I drive over 1000 miles at the 'ring I'll be able to reproduce this time with a bone stock Z/28 I picked up from the dealer.

Somehow I doubt this, then again I wouldn't expect Ford to be any more honest as these sorts of stunts are really only about whipping the fan base into a frenzy.

When the GT500 was there and didn't post any times or made a video people were saying Ford couldn't meet or beat the ZL1's 'ring time so they ran scared.
Old 10/17/13, 06:41 PM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a bad track car, but if I was to go all in for a track car, it wouldn't be a 3800-lb vehicle. Give me a Fiesta ST GRC - http://jalopnik.com/the-fastest-car-...d-f-1002188365

Lightweight, tossable, AWD, and rocket-sled acceleration!
Old 10/17/13, 09:24 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Not to say it's not impressive, but for the price... it **** well better be.

I hate how GM always comes up with some type of spin on it.
This is their Cobra R.

It's a purpose built track car that can be used on the street.
The BOSS is a street car that can be used on the track.
THAT is the difference.
Old 10/17/13, 10:53 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Not to say it's not impressive, but for the price... it **** well better be.

I hate how GM always comes up with some type of spin on it.
This is their Cobra R.

It's a purpose built track car that can be used on the street.
The BOSS is a street car that can be used on the track.
THAT is the difference.
How will Ford respond? I certainly hope not with a 80,000 dollar GT350 that's a few seconds faster around the same loop. Throwing a dump truck load of money seems IMO to violate the spirit of what these cars represent (although not without precedent as the original ZL1 and Boss 429 showed).

As I told some brand-x people. I'd rather GM had offered an LS7 powered 1LE at 8/10ths the capability of the Z/28 for 50k (A GM product I'd gladly make payments on) than watch as GM and Ford build mega buck pony cars for a few well heeled fans and all the buff rags to crow about.
Old 10/18/13, 06:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
How will Ford respond? I certainly hope not with a 80,000 dollar GT350 that's a few seconds faster around the same loop. Throwing a dump truck load of money seems IMO to violate the spirit of what these cars represent (although not without precedent as the original ZL1 and Boss 429 showed). As I told some brand-x people. I'd rather GM had offered an LS7 powered 1LE at 8/10ths the capability of the Z/28 for 50k (A GM product I'd gladly make payments on) than watch as GM and Ford build mega buck pony cars for a few well heeled fans and all the buff rags to crow about.
I can't double reply on phone but:
@Boomer:
Yes. All kinds of yes. This is the exact point I made to my friends. The Boss is a car that really isn't any less maintainable than your GT. It has a ton of off the shelf parts, a factory option everything and is in the exact same shell as a V6. You can go to auto zone to get parts.
Carbon ceramic, two piece brakes? Not so run of the mill. Specific LS7? Not so run of the mill. But ok, I've wanted that engine in the Camaro for a while. Best pushrod ever possibly. But it's pretty special. It also has 427ci of displacement and dry sump pan. The Boss is just a hot rod Coyote. Not to mention the suspension, differential, transmission wheels, tires, no AC option and the years of development. These two are hardly comparable. Just not even the same car. I didn't even mention price.

@bob:
I agree on the Ford point and the Camaro. Everyone wanted a low budget LS7 rocket. Not a over budget pony car. They negated the reason the Z/28 exited the first time around. This is a confusing spot since the ZL1 already exists. Consumers may have a hard time understanding the price while car guys just just won't want to put cash on a Z/28.
Old 10/19/13, 01:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bob
How will Ford respond? I certainly hope not with a 80,000 dollar GT350 that's a few seconds faster around the same loop. Throwing a dump truck load of money seems IMO to violate the spirit of what these cars represent (although not without precedent as the original ZL1 and Boss 429 showed).

As I told some brand-x people. I'd rather GM had offered an LS7 powered 1LE at 8/10ths the capability of the Z/28 for 50k (A GM product I'd gladly make payments on) than watch as GM and Ford build mega buck pony cars for a few well heeled fans and all the buff rags to crow about.
I hope Ford builds a GT350 that's a good track car for the streets. Since the S550 is said to be like 300lbs lighter, wider, more power, Better handling because of the IRS, and bigger better wheels & tires, it should be extremely fast as is. Ford could offer a GT350R track package for the true enthusiast that wants to beat any Z/28. I'm hoping the GT350 costs about $50,000 with the track pack it would be around $55-57 at the most. That's what im hoping.
Old 10/19/13, 08:02 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't see the SVT costing 80k, if you did, you'd be cutting you're own throat if that's all you offered.

I'm also curious to see why GM didn't just put the LS7 in and add some less off the wall offerings to see how that would have performed.

I almost think they were between a rock an a hard place. They couldn't just throw a bunch of parts together and have a car that could hand the ZL1 it's lunch for less price, the only real option was to have something more out there and cost it appropriately.

Unfortunately, that also meant that it isn't in the same ring of cars they are comparing it to. That's fine that it can blow away most/all of the current mustang line up, but it also will cost more than any mustang in the lineup.
Old 10/19/13, 11:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I was interested to see the rpm range during the run by the Z28. The rpm ranged from 3000 to 7018. When the Z28 was on the long straight it rained and the driver backed off and ran less than 7000 rpm. I am wondering why GM did not show a run on a totally dry track. Are they holding back thinking someone may turn a good lap with some other car and they can then release a video to show they have run a faster lap ?
Old 10/28/13, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
I was interested to see the rpm range during the run by the Z28. The rpm ranged from 3000 to 7018. When the Z28 was on the long straight it rained and the driver backed off and ran less than 7000 rpm. I am wondering why GM did not show a run on a totally dry track. Are they holding back thinking someone may turn a good lap with some other car and they can then release a video to show they have run a faster lap ?
I imagine logistics dictated the sloppy run of the ring, but yeah, as impressive as that run was, holding a dry track rerun certainly ought to keep folks wondering.