General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

I need to downsize

Search this Thread

Old 6/13/11, 06:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to downsize

So long story short, my company made some huge cuts and changes, reducing everyone in IT, we were a staff of about 300, we are now down to 144 after the recent cuts. I also took a substantial paycut, and that is ok, since I have a job and can make do for my family until I find something better.

With that said, i sold my Mustang last year to get the G37 sedan to accompany our daughter. Now to accomodate our slight lifestyle change, and us closing on a house soon, I want to cut my car cost for now, bring my debt down, and my score back up to 700+ so that I can hopefully land a 2013 or 2014 GT again. So I'm asking for the advice of the best forum in the world.

I need something with at least decent gas mileage, 30MPG or more. I'll most likely be traveling to different locations weekly so the MPGs will help save money.
Somewhat powerful. I don't need 300-400HP like I had in my GT or in my G37. but something that I can get on if I need to or tinker with a little bit. I'm a gearhead and always will be.
Somewhat conventional. 2 or 4 doors doesn't matter anymore. My wife's car is now the baby hauler, but in the event we need to put it in my car. Also, I'm a professional photographer on the side and when I do shoots, I need a bit of trunk space. I loved that my GT could fold the rear flat, my G37 does not .
And finally, preferably under 25-26k. I need to keep my payments under about 360 a month financing.

So here's what I've been looking at:
  • VW GTI w/ DSG: I hear nothing but good things about it in all the reviews and word of mouth. I also know this thing is mod-city, however I am having a hard time getting past the fact that it looks like a high-school hatchback. Maybe I'm being too superficial?
  • Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T: To be honest, next to the new stangs, I think this is one of the sexier looking cars out right now. I also am a big fan of the 2.0T as I've seen it make good power, but I know the transmissions suck in this car. It also lacks some convenience being 2 doors, but the trunk reminds me of the stang. Also comes standard with a lot of creature features. Surprisingly, the insurance quotes for this car are not nearly as high as I expected.
  • Ford Focus SEL: I sat in one this weekend and wow, is this really a Focus? Ford has sold their souls to the car gods because every Ford on the lot was absolutely stellar inside (minus the Expedition which looked outdated next to all the remodeled vehicles on the lot). I'm a big fan of Sync and I like the new styling. Still kinda small for me (I'm 6'1) and lacks power (160HP), but gets the best mileage out of the group.
What do you all think? or is there anything else I should be looking at?
Old 6/13/11, 08:20 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

A V6 Mustang?
Old 6/13/11, 08:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
A V6 Mustang?
I thought about it, but I'm very passionate and picky about mustangs. My 06 GT was the first car I bought new on my own and got it exactly the way I wanted it. I want my next one to be that way, and before taking this cut, my plan was a Kona Blue GT w electronics and brembo package and a couple other features. I know I'd love the new V6 because of the greatly increased power, transmission, and emissions, but I want the next mustang to be like my first mustang: exactly how I want it.

Stupid, I know.
Old 6/13/11, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

For the mileage you're looking for, I wouldn't suggest a V6 Mustang. The Focus is a very nice car. I drove one several months before buying my Mustang, and for a FWD 4 cylinder car- it was the best I've driven. The engine was responsive, the steering was adequate, it handled well, and got an easy 34 mpg very frequently. The SYNC system works great, although I'm still not used to giving verbal commands to a car- which is probably why I didn't bother having anything like that on my Mustang. Something else to think about are the crash tests which are also stellar on most of the new Fords, including the Focus.

You may also consider the Ford Fusion. You could still grab a 4 cyl or a 25-27 mpg V6 with AWD. You'd be saving money compared to the Mustang and still have a great looking and performing car. I really like the AWD system, but it does add some cost.

Finally, the Hyundai Genesis. My neighbor actually just bought one 7 days ago. I was over looking at it 2 days ago, and the fit and finish is also very nice. I don't care for the fake wood finishes; seems like they're trying to copy Lexus. And, the 100k bumper to bumper warranty is nice. My issue is that I still don't have any faith in the brand, and on top of that, don't want to send my money to Korea (yes, I realize some are assembled in the USA, but the profit still goes back to Korea).

On one last note, you may also check out Subaru. They are the one Japanese brand that has truly kept build quality high. They're AWD system is the best in my opinion, and they're are plenty of options from the Impreza to the Forester.

Last edited by socalwrench; 6/13/11 at 09:22 AM.
Old 6/13/11, 09:54 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
go for the focus!
Old 6/13/11, 02:12 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I think there's a little bit of a reality distortion field around the GTI. Overall I like the car, but while working at a VW dealership a couple years ago I could not work 2 days in a row without seeing a Golf or GTI pull up to the service department on a flatbed. That sort of thing puts me off, though it could just be that AZ drivers really suck.

I haven't driven the Focus yet, somewhat infuriatingly, but I've got a bit time crush on that car. There's nothing to be done if it's too small, but power should sort itself out in the aftermarket if you're patient.

Another Ford you might consider is the Fusion S. With the I4 and manual it's a fun and lightweight sedan, affordable too. However you're leaving all sorts of nice amenities on the table and the interior looks like a Rental. A mid-level SE or SEL V6 with some options will run about the same price as a GTI with similar options, though fuel economy and fun-to-drive won't be as good as zee German.
Old 6/14/11, 01:14 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Too bad Volkswagen is not offering a Golf GTD in the States, I think that's the perfect economical sports car. GTD has everything from GTI minus the engine. GTD is powered by a 2.0L TDI diesel engine (170 hp) so you get a fun to drive car that's still averaging 45 mpg. 170 hp might not seem like much, but in a diesel it's more than enough (my Golf diesel has only 100 hp and I have no complains).

Old 6/14/11, 01:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
Too bad Volkswagen is not offering a Golf GTD in the States, I think that's the perfect economical sports car. GTD has everything from GTI minus the engine. GTD is powered by a 2.0L TDI diesel engine (170 hp) so you get a fun to drive car that's still averaging 45 mpg. 170 hp might not seem like much, but in a diesel it's more than enough (my Golf diesel has only 100 hp and I have no complains).
They are peppy for sure. And their cleaner diesel technology with a broad powerband they are great for city driving
Old 6/14/11, 01:51 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
someone is selling a fiesta
Old 6/14/11, 06:54 PM
Cobra Member

GTI with DSG. My brother had one and it was a blast to drive and got over 30mpg on the highway and could get mid 20s if you drive it right in the city.

And don't even get me started on the DSG. That transmission is awesome. Shifts are so fast and so smooth.

You can even get a little torque steer when you hit it sometimes We all know how fun that is.

Plus there are tons of mods for it if you wanted to go that route.
Old 6/14/11, 10:54 PM
I'm people, and I like.

for you, the focus seems to be the perfect car!
my friend rented an SEL hatchback when he came up to visit and i got to drive it the whole time.
loved it!
i'm 6'1 as well, but did not feel squished at all. i felt craddled
Old 6/22/11, 03:50 PM

Maybe wait for the Focus SVT that Ford is working on. Shouldn't be too long before it's released.