General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Hyundai to produce RWD cars in 2007

Search this Thread

Old 5/11/05, 04:43 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lalo, you never cease to amuse me

where would the wolrd be without useless facts? well for startes, we wouldnt be studying shakespeare, or literature at all for that matter
Old 5/11/05, 10:12 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
:worship: all hail king Lalo
Old 5/11/05, 10:41 PM
I'm people, and I like.

:bowdown:

Old 5/11/05, 11:42 PM
Post *****

"king? well i didnt vote for you!"
Old 5/11/05, 11:44 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Kings arent voted for buddy, they're made! (or they inherit it whether they like it or not :P )
Old 5/12/05, 06:48 AM
GT Member

we didn't say what he was king of...........
Old 5/12/05, 07:59 AM
I'm people, and I like.

uh oh...

Old 5/12/05, 09:14 AM
GT Member

yes, back to topic.

I am also a memebr at CamaroZ28 forums, and they have some members there who supposedly work for GM, and from the pieces I have put together, it seems like GM will unveil both the new Camaro and the other pony/muscle car next year in Production based concepts, both to be followed by production versions in showrooms the following year.

If this is fact, the pony wars are a million times better than the 60s and I wish my buddy Art was here to see it. He was a blast from the past, and had more custom cars than I can remember, including a 92 LX that he raced a Viper GTS with and lost by less than 2 lengths up to 95 mph from a dead stop (later found out the Viper had full exhaust including headers and K&N filter, after that race he went to Henessey, LOL). A turbo T that had a motor which broke the chassis it was in and then was put a re-enforced frame and ran low 9s. Then a 93LX that was faster than the 93LX, a 87 Olds cutlass with a 383 that would pull the front wheels, etc etc. He passed away in sept and he always said he shoulda been born in the 50s because he loved the 70 chevelle, and the early camaros and mopars. I am sure he would love the way it will be in the muscle/pony car market.

even Hyundai is getting into the mix. Infiniti is reportedly going to offer the Skyline tt here, The Supra is coming back. This is gonna be sweet.
Old 5/12/05, 07:32 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Brian, I hope you are right!
Old 5/12/05, 08:13 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by thezeppelin8@May 12, 2005, 8:35 PM
Brian, I hope you are right!

me too!
Old 5/12/05, 09:10 PM
Post *****

let me rephrase for Lalo:

Brian you BETTER be right

i hope so too, i think this is quite posibly one of the greatest times in history to be a hot rodder.

sorry to hear about your buddy Art sounds like one cool dude
Old 5/12/05, 09:53 PM
Cobra R Member

I really can't imagine GM introducing TWO new pony cars at times like these. Especially considering how sales of pony cars compare to sedans and trucks nowadays. They should totally build something, for sure, I mean they could use the attention a car like that would gather, but not two chevys.

And a V8 in a tiburon? I'm skeptical on that one too. Does it need one? Sure they're trying to push upmarket, but even the Z and the G35s have 6's. I think a new tiburon would be happy with a 6.

I like the current one a lot, very nice. I like the shark gills on the side. I'm still trying to get rid of the cheap and ugly image i associate with the name hyundai though, stupid slanty H....
Old 5/12/05, 09:56 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@May 12, 2005, 8:56 PM
I'm still trying to get rid of the cheap and ugly image i associate with the name hyundai though, stupid slanty H....
I agree with ya. The Tib and the new Sonata that is being released is making it easy for me though
Old 5/12/05, 10:35 PM
Bullitt Member

very nice, always liked the Tib myself

and, as for the Chevy rumor, i don't think it will happen, c'mon, they're chevy, how could they come up with something this cool?
Old 5/13/05, 08:34 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@May 12, 2005, 10:56 PM
I really can't imagine GM introducing TWO new pony cars at times like these. Especially considering how sales of pony cars compare to sedans and trucks nowadays. They should totally build something, for sure, I mean they could use the attention a car like that would gather, but not two chevys.

And a V8 in a tiburon? I'm skeptical on that one too. Does it need one? Sure they're trying to push upmarket, but even the Z and the G35s have 6's. I think a new tiburon would be happy with a 6.

I like the current one a lot, very nice. I like the shark gills on the side. I'm still trying to get rid of the cheap and ugly image i associate with the name hyundai though, stupid slanty H....

I can't imagine it either. However MT had an interview with someone at GM and they said on the ZETA they were introducing the new camaro and a Chevelle 2 door based off the next gen GTO. Then the Zeta has been killed, but the General has stated to numerous publications that the GTO is still on, and they are developing a very flexible FWD,AWD,RWD compatible platform that will accommodate a medium size 2-4 door. Then the guys who work for GM over at CamaroZ28.com stated that they will unveil 2 rwd cars next year.

Also remember this, the Very First car to come out that had ANY influence from Lutz, is the Solstice/Sky. THat thing is going to be a cool looking car in the same market as the Miata. So I am sure in the past few years he has had some say in other things too, so we'll see.

I hope to god I am right, I always wanted to go to the Chevy dealer and order a Chevelle, and in a few years I should be financially able to, and they may be out then too.

Also remember that the ZO6 engine is going to be sold through the Chevrolet Parts program, and I imagine someone will start installing them into the Camaro and Chevelle.

I have had grim hopes for GM for a long time, but there was something in the way that the info was presented that I do believe it. Although I still do have the "I will believe it when I see it" mentality, because the beancounters can put a stop to it at any time probably up until the begining of next year.

As for the Tib getting a V8...... I am just saying it's a possibility. THey have one, and they have the resources to bring it here. THey are going to move up-market, what better way than to intro a new V8 engine that will power all your Lux cars than in a RWD sports car? Maybe they will have both..... Who knows. The current Tib comes in 4 cyl and 6 cyl, so if they are trying to reach up market maybe they'll offer the 6 standard and the 8 as an option. They are entering dangeroius territory, and they need to be well equiped. They know that. If they go in offering a 3700 pound rwd sporty car with a 200 hp 6 cyl, they will get laughed at, and while they are trying to improve their image, that is the last thing they want. People willsay, nah I'll just get a mustang with a V8 and 300 hp. Maybe theirs will be 280-290, so to show they are not trying to out-do the mustang.
Old 5/13/05, 08:36 AM
GT Member

And actually the SUV market is already saturated enough. They now need to attend to the rest of the market, because when SUV sales drop off, as some are predicting they will, then they will need something else to fall back on. The truck market sustains itself, and makes more than 50% of the profits they do make (before they are spent of frivolous things like executive salaries).
Old 5/13/05, 08:47 AM
GT Member

then again their new Azera has a all new 3.8L V6 making 265 hp, that'd be cool too.

http://vehiclescomingsoon.hyundaiusa.com/
Old 5/13/05, 10:32 AM
GT Member

more info,

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_hyundai...ers_reardrive/

"The Equus is offered in its home market with a choice of a V-6 or V-8 engine"
Old 5/14/05, 08:24 AM
Cobra R Member

oh don't worry. don't expect me to ever say some company needs to focus on its SUVs. That market is TOTALLY saturated, with soooo many redundant models. I just saw the Isuzu Ascender for the first time (don't sell 'em in Canada). That things only the 14th version of the GMT360, envoy, trailblazer, rainier, the late bravada, saab 9^7.... sheesh.... And don't get me started on toyota's bloated line of SUVs...

so ya, i'd be much happier with sports cars than with another chevy SUV, i was just saying that they probably don't see much of a business case for building two pony cars.
Old 5/14/05, 08:55 AM
GT Member

Well, I don't actually think there is much of a business case for it.

However, the GTO woulda been a huge success if;
1. it didn't look like a slightly updated 95 Monte Carlo/jelly bean
2. it was more of a Muscle car than a Luxo-cruiser

Also, it is looking like Lutz has had more of a positive influence than many people thought. For one, the Solstice would NEVER have been built if he was not there. Now it will be in showrooms by fall. That car is a huge step for GM, it is a non-corvette Sports car, when was the last time they tried that? I can't really think of anything (I consider the Camaro a 2+2 Muscle car, different from a no luggage space 2 seat sports car). That alone shows me that they are stepping into new waters and trying to deliver more than just SUVs.

Also it has been said that Vauxhall has designed a way to stretch the Kappa platform to accept a small V8 or V6 and a back seat. So the onther pony might not be a Chevelle size car, but maybe a smaller 2+2 with a small, Well they have the 5.3L LS1 derived V8 in the Monte Carlo/imp now so maybe that is small to them

But from what was hinted, it was going to be the camaro as a smaller car, and the Chevelle as a slightly bigger car.