General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

GM to buy Chrysler?

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/07, 12:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
GM to buy Chrysler?

According to a story in Left Lane News, GM is in talks with DCX to purchase the Chrysler group. With all the overlapping products and unused production capacity, I'm not sure how that helps either one of them.
Old 2/16/07, 02:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If GM does buy Chrysler, it will probably be for the Jeep brand. The Dodge and Chrysler names aren't as well-known worldwide as Jeep is.
I may have to reconsider Mopar if GM does acquire it. I may go back to being a Mopar man again
Old 2/16/07, 03:12 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Imagine 2009 Camaro with Hemi ...

On the bright side, Chrysler might finally have good automatic transmission.
Old 2/16/07, 05:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Like previously stated, would think GM would only want certain segments of the company that made sense and could make money for them - wouldn't leave much left to be picked over by others
Old 2/16/07, 05:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Ford should sneak in in Buy the Jeep brand, then scale it down to just the Wrangler models.
Old 2/16/07, 06:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been a long time since I have been involved in the auto industry, and I don't talk to too many people I knew back then anymore. But an old friend of mine from those days recently relayed some info a mutual acquaintance still working in the auto industry brought to his attention. He stated that Daimler Chrysler's German masters were in serious talks to divest themselves of the Chrysler Group, and that the most promising of the interested parties, by far, were Chinese.

That is a pretty generic decription of a potential buyer I know. But he did relay all of this info before anybody was seriously discussing the prospect of Chrysler being sold so it seems likely that there is some truth in it even if it is a bit vague. And if this proves true my guess is that the Chinese company he was referring to is NAC. For those who don't that would be the same Chinese firm that bought MG-Rover.

This would be significant, and frankly makes sense, because the Chrysler 300's styling was inspired in part by Rover's 75 Series sedan (along with the obvious historical inferences to Virgil Exner and Facel bodied cars of course) In fact a Rover 75 and a Chrysler 300 could easily be said to posses more stylistic resemblence than exists among the 300 and other Chrysler sedans. The possibility of taking the best of both and making a new lineup seems a likely option here.

Given this it seems reasonably likey that NAC might find Chrysler desirable given the mix and match options for branding such a marriage would provide along with the advantages of American production facilities and an existing dealer network. And Chrysler would provide NAC an established brand to sell those 75 series sedans under as well, ridding them of the need to use the ridiculous 'Roewe' brand name they conured for that purpose. Just a thought.

Of course, assuming this was accurate when relayed that doesn't mean Chrysler will necessarily go to the Chinese. Situations like this change daily and new bidders pop up regularly. However, I think the odds of GM outbidding a Chinese company for a brand hurting as badly as Chrysler are slim at best and laughable at worst right now.

On another note, the info relayed said that Jeep would not likely be going with Chrysler and Dodge in a perspective sell off but would indeed be spun off and sold to another buyer. He apparently said that it looked like Ford wanted Jeep and seemed likely get it. I'm assuming Ford would be interested in Jeep because of the ability to share a greater number of 4wd componentry between Land Rover, Ford, and Jeep trucks and suv's. What such a thing could mean for Jeep and Land Rover seems especially significant. And I would also be willing to bet that the historical significance of Ford's participation in producing Jeeps during WWII might play a role in such a thing as well.

Again, I cannot say how accurate this may or may not be. But it was relayed before rumours about Chrysler being bought were seriously circulating so I am inclined to lend it a bit more than just an ear at this point. And all of it makes sense for that matter too. Both of the buyers mentioned stand to benefit substantially, and in many ways, from acquiring these brands. Time will tell.
Old 2/17/07, 04:52 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by jsaylor
It's been a long time since I have been involved in the auto industry, and I don't talk to too many people I knew back then anymore. But an old friend of mine from those days recently relayed some info a mutual acquaintance still working in the auto industry brought to his attention. He stated that Daimler Chrysler's German masters were in serious talks to divest themselves of the Chrysler Group, and that the most promising of the interested parties, by far, were Chinese.

That is a pretty generic decription of a potential buyer I know. But he did relay all of this info before anybody was seriously discussing the prospect of Chrysler being sold so it seems likely that there is some truth in it even if it is a bit vague. And if this proves true my guess is that the Chinese company he was referring to is NAC. For those who don't that would be the same Chinese firm that bought MG-Rover.
A couple of points >>

1) I believe that Daimler will spin Chrysler off as well - it's just a matter of time.

2) The Chinese company in question is Chery, given the new manufacturing partnership Chrysler has entered into with them.

Neither piece of news bodes well for Chrysler, IMO, and I think they may be on a slow slide to oblivion...or becoming a "low rent" brand - at least for the short-term. I, for one, have no interest in owning a Cherypar Challenger. Chinese cars may get better eventually, but I'm not certain that will happen before Chrysler reaches entropy.

As to GM picking them up. Three words: Ain't gonna happen.
Old 2/17/07, 06:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

It will take more time and money to get 'American" cars back on track.
Old 2/18/07, 11:01 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
If GM does buy Chrysler, it will probably be for the Jeep brand. The Dodge and Chrysler names aren't as well-known worldwide as Jeep is.
I may have to reconsider Mopar if GM does acquire it. I may go back to being a Mopar man again
One problem with this Verm, if GM aquires Chrysler, there won't be Mopars anymore. Chrycolet anyone?
Old 2/18/07, 11:49 AM
V6 Member

I don't see the advantage of GM acquiring Chrysler.

From a business perspective it would be a shortcut for the Chinese to gain a foothold in the U.S.
Old 2/18/07, 03:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlander
I don't see the advantage of GM acquiring Chrysler.

From a business perspective it would be a shortcut for the Chinese to gain a foothold in the U.S.

Foothold They have a huge beachead right now
Old 2/19/07, 01:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
One problem with this Verm, if GM aquires Chrysler, there won't be Mopars anymore. Chrycolet anyone?
The "Mopar" nickname comes from MOtor PARts, and is the name of the parts and service arm of Chrysler. So if GM acquires them, could they then be "GenPar"? GMPAR? GOPAR?
Old 2/19/07, 03:53 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
So if GM acquires them, could they then be "GenPar"? GMPAR? GOPAR?
"Hyundaipar"...?

Word is that the Korean maker is looking at a deal with Chrysler, too.
Old 2/19/07, 04:27 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
"Hyundaipar"...?

Word is that the Korean maker is looking at a deal with Chrysler, too.
Hyundia not interested . . .

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2007/02/...ot-interested/
Old 2/19/07, 04:31 PM
Closet American

U.S. investment bank JPMorgan is making final preparations before starting an auction of the Chrysler Group on behalf of DaimlerChrysler, according to a report by the U.K.'s Times.
So it's more or less official now, eh?

This should prove interesting, cause I can't see GM buying Chrysler and taking on all the liabilities right in the middle of the General's hard-fought turnaround.
Old 2/19/07, 04:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
So it's more or less official now, eh?

This should prove interesting, cause I can't see GM buying Chrysler and taking on all the liabilities right in the middle of the General's hard-fought turnaround.
Maybe Lutz has a woody for Hemis....

Old 2/19/07, 07:41 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by TomServo92

You mean for the name "Hemi," since that's really all it amounts to now.

Lot of headache to take on for some "branding."

And doesn't GM already have too many badges as it is?

I just can't see this going any place.
Old 2/23/07, 10:29 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Read this quote on autoextremist.com, and thought it was pretty funny . .

Let B-J Do It?
Maybe they can get an inflated price for Chrysler by auctioning it off at Barrett-Jackson. Maybe throw in a Hemi or two.
Just a thought.
KS
Troy, MI
Old 2/23/07, 10:48 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TomServo92

The LS engines are superior to the hemis anyway. more power, less weight, gets good mileage without cylinder deactivation.
Old 2/23/07, 01:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Knight
The LS engines are superior to the hemis anyway. more power, less weight, gets good mileage without cylinder deactivation.
Yeah but saying "Is that thang got an LS?" just doesn't have the same ring to it....

Quick Reply: GM to buy Chrysler?