The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   General Vehicle Discussion/News (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f647/)
-   -   Dodge Challenger (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f647/dodge-challenger-428561/)

chocophile 1/11/06 12:36 PM

2005+ Stangs are 188 inches, according to edmunds.com. According to the same source, 2004 Stangs are even shorter: 183.2 inches.

Montrose 1/11/06 02:56 PM

The Challenger concept is nice. I was in high school in the 60's, etc. (to let you know my age) and when I saw the concept car, I immediately recognized the original car. In fact, there's an original one near me, in red.

I can say the same for the new Mustang (which is why I bought one)

I definitely can't say the same for the Camaro concept car. There is very little about this design that has any recognition value.

Thunder Road 1/11/06 05:49 PM

Originally posted by harleybill@January 10, 2006, 2:03 PM
I think it will definitely compete with the stang if they can keep it in the same price ballpark (which won't be easy).... Far better than the current cammaro which I hope Chevy has some finishing touches. Last thing they need is another GTO ho ho. :-D :-D

"IF" they build it theres not a chance in heck it will be in the same price ballpark.

MSP 1/11/06 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Thunder Road@January 11, 2006, 4:52 PM
"IF" they build it theres not a chance in heck it will be in the same price ballpark.

Also, if they build it, most people will buy the 5.7L version, as opposed to the widley loved 6.1L version.. If they make the car with only the 6.1L they are gonna be in big trouble...

So expect a V6 to hit the market, and a 5.7L as well... Those will sell like hotcakes...

Only a very few people will buy a 6.1L Challenger for $40+ K... Its too risky... The most common situation will be a $27,000K 5.7L... Everyone will have one... The 6.1L that we are all drooling over will be far and few between...

MilStang 1/12/06 07:19 AM

Originally posted by MSP@January 11, 2006, 6:56 PM
Also, if they build it, most people will buy the 5.7L version, as opposed to the widley loved 6.1L version.. If they make the car with only the 6.1L they are gonna be in big trouble...

So expect a V6 to hit the market, and a 5.7L as well... Those will sell like hotcakes...

Only a very few people will buy a 6.1L Challenger for $40+ K... Its too risky... The most common situation will be a $27,000K 5.7L... Everyone will have one... The 6.1L that we are all drooling over will be far and few between...

Definitely agree with you on that. The 5.7L ones will be the more likely to see around town.

...but that is still nice!

:banana:

ex-Galaxie500 1/12/06 10:08 AM

If it goes into production, if things do well, I'll be riding in one

67fastback 1/14/06 12:14 AM

IMO, this challenger looks way too retro, almost a copy of the original. If Dodge can't think of a new design, they recycle the old. At least Ford had the creativity to design the new mustang so that it's modern, but also reflects enough design cues from the 65-70 mustang to be instantly recognized as a mustang. The mustang looks to me like it should look - a process of design evolution, keeping its heritage but also bringing it into the 21st century.

This new challenger looks like a slighty larger remake of the 1970 Challenger. I guess Dodge is learning from the new Charger - their attempt to go retro/modern with the design has been widely criticized, so on the Challenger they have bagged the modern and just stuck with retro - but I'm sure it will be more successful than the Charger. I'll stick with my mustang. Just my two cents.

MilStang 1/14/06 06:18 AM

I agree that the Mustang has more fluid lines and meshes retro and new together very well. I will definitely stick with my Mustang over the Challenger. ..but I would not mind having both.

:-D

johnnyblaze 1/15/06 08:34 AM

After going to the show and seeing the Challenger compared to the GT500, the Challenger makes the Shelby look cheap. The Challenger is just a massive, stunning car. I like the Shelby but the cheap looking plastic around the bottom of the car Really hurts the overall look. If I had to pick one, I would have no problem picking the Challenger.

And by the way the Camaro was a huge disappointment.

Airwolf 1/16/06 08:03 AM

Who cares if its a copy of the old one? It looks sweet. Detroit is catching on, the mustang looks like a mustang, the challenger looks like a challenger, the charger is a huge failure in my opinion, and they need to fix the camaro's grille. After that everything should be good.