Old 11/15/07, 04:00 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chevy Finally Builds A Real Accord/Camry Fighter

High praise for the new Malibu.

Old 11/15/07, 05:01 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Good for GM. I look forwad to driving a new Malibu in the coming months.
Old 11/15/07, 07:02 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Good, Im glad to see it. Ford needs to step up their game. I'm so tired of Japanese cars dominating the market, I have a hatred against the camry that I can't even describe.
Old 11/15/07, 07:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was an ad in the latest edition of Motor Trend. The interior on the upscale version is really sweet. all panels appear soft to the touch and have a high quality throughout. The guages are well laid out with blue back light. Would definitely consider this as a second car over Honda or Toyota!
Old 11/15/07, 08:23 AM

This new Malibu really seems to be a really good, even excellent car, from GM no less! Styling is very well executed, both overall and in the details. Interior too seems tasteful, interesting and well executed in materials and construction. Good drivetrains (once the old 4 speed autos flush out of the system and is replaced by the 5 (6?) speed ATX) with a peppy and modern V6 at the top.

Basically just a very well done car that should sell very well on its own merits without resorting to corny flag-waving ads or ruinous bribes, errr, rebates. Hopefully there are no weird show-stoppers like some huge recalls or something.
Old 11/15/07, 11:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Looks quite good for this segment. Hopefully they will be less problem plagued than the last version. That last model made me quite a bit of money and was so bland it was pathetic. Hopefully all the money invested in all these new platforms will pan out well. Now heres crossing my fingers that the other US markets will step up their A game give the import autos a good run for their money.
Old 11/15/07, 02:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
It's very nice and I like everything except the grill. I didn't like it on the Cobalt and I don't like it on the Malibu either.
Old 11/15/07, 02:33 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the front looks nice.. i would prefer the grill to be darker but what can you do. tail i don't care for.
Old 11/15/07, 07:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Wierd that they go for the big, bold grille with such pansy headlight on either side. Serieously, those lights look like they should have eyelashes. Tail looks like it was sawed off an Acura.
Old 11/15/07, 07:50 PM
Closet American

I agree the rear end needs some work.

I quite like the front, though.
Old 11/15/07, 07:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

I like the grille and the Chevy emblem on the front.
Old 11/15/07, 08:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ahh the real new Taurus.... what Ford should have built
Old 11/15/07, 09:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 11/15/07, 09:12 PM
GT Member

Everybody wants a better Accord than an Accord. Why doesn't somebody do something original for once.

I bet that thing costs as much as a base GT with the same gas mileage.

At least it's domestic but I do wish somebody at GM could spread a little imagination from the concept cars to the production models
Old 11/15/07, 09:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Its very nice for what it is. That said the only way it will ever rival Camry and Accord sales is if this effectively replaces the Impala and the old Malibu in GM's lineup. And to their credit GM is apparently thinking much the same given recent reports. The Aura brought the same basic goodness to the market wrapped in a prettier skin and that model has been a bit of a sales disappointment thus far tracking somewhere around ten thousand units less for the year than GM had hoped. Perhaps the formula will fare better with a Chevy badge on the grille. Either way I still think facing the Japanese on their own terms in this segment is the 'hard way' to do it for any of the big three.
Old 11/16/07, 08:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jsaylor
Its very nice for what it is. That said the only way it will ever rival Camry and Accord sales is if this effectively replaces the Impala and the old Malibu in GM's lineup. And to their credit GM is apparently thinking much the same given recent reports. The Aura brought the same basic goodness to the market wrapped in a prettier skin and that model has been a bit of a sales disappointment thus far tracking somewhere around ten thousand units less for the year than GM had hoped. Perhaps the formula will fare better with a Chevy badge on the grille. Either way I still think facing the Japanese on their own terms in this segment is the 'hard way' to do it for any of the big three.
If I remember correctly, GM wanted to sell around 100K Auras. Based on the October sales numbers, it's tracking to sell around 60K.
Old 11/16/07, 08:28 AM
Cobra R Member

i am interested to go drive one of these malibu's. i still prefer the look of the accord though.
Old 11/16/07, 09:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by elcaminoguy

Everybody wants a better Accord than an Accord. Why doesn't somebody do something original for once.

I bet that thing costs as much as a base GT with the same gas mileage.

At least it's domestic but I do wish somebody at GM could spread a little imagination from the concept cars to the production models
Base price is 19k fully loaded ones go up to 26K. Even if that cost the same as a base GT more than likely someone in the market for this is not in the market for a 2 door 2+2 (barely) Mustang. This is more Taurus territory if you want to speak equivalents.
Old 11/16/07, 04:00 PM
Closet American

And the overall proportions of the Malibu design are far better than the 500...Taurus...what's it called this week?

On the other hand, I sort of like what Ford did with the Freestyle. I like the three bar grille and the Taurus X. It's a great take on the traditional station wagon.

But does Ford need an Expedition, Explorer, Flex, Edge, Escape, Taurus-X...? Isn't this overkill?
Old 11/16/07, 06:20 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Slims00ls1z28
Base price is 19k fully loaded ones go up to 26K. Even if that cost the same as a base GT more than likely someone in the market for this is not in the market for a 2 door 2+2 (barely) Mustang. This is more Taurus territory if you want to speak equivalents.
Yeah, that's nice but I never assumed an equivalence between the two I just wish someone would get some imagination. It's like everyone thinks the Japanese model of sedans is the benchmark.

I'd like to see something different. This country used to be able to do that. I mean, the coolest most practical non sports car I ever saw was a guy who had a 70 Hurst Olds 2 door wagon. You got the go and the room all at the same time. I know there's Pacifica's and such out there but they all look like variations on the same theme. I just can't get excited about yet another updated bubble.

The G8 and the Grand Prix are kinda bubbles too but I think they're on the right track.

Quick Reply: Chevy Finally Builds A Real Accord/Camry Fighter