General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Camaro concept

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/06, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too bad Bob Lutz dodges the production question.
Basically she prolly isn't going to see the lite of day. Besides the fact that she looks like a real heffer. And with a 400-hp LS2, and I'm gunna venture that thing will tip the scales at like 4250 with driver and full tank...
Basically I doubt any stock mustang gt needs to worry too much. And moddec GT/ stock Shelby/ modded shelbys have even less to fear. GM will over price, and overweigh the car. Yeah they did the Z06 right. But the Z06 owes most of it's performance ability to it's low weight and high power.
Old 1/10/06, 05:04 PM
Cobra R Member

The front end only looks good straight on. A higher hood and thicker front grill with the same lines would look good IMO, The headlights need to be bigger as a result too.

Charger is still better looking though.

Where do the hoodpins go on the Camaro?
Old 1/10/06, 05:06 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
More Camaro shots plus interior shots

Thanks serious wheels!
Old 1/10/06, 05:14 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's already been announced that GM is building it, based upon its strong showing at LA and Detroit (Inside Line: Camaro to see production in 2009).

On the other hand, if you READ THIS, you'll see that GM is only willing to go so far to fix its own problems as long as the boys on Mahogony Row don't have to suffer personally. If they're not prepared to take one for the team, then maybe they deserve to "take it" somewhere else. They're all still playing the blame game (including the UAW) rather than taking personal responsibility. Hey guys: if you ain't part of the solution, maybe you're part of the problem.
Old 1/10/06, 05:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Akurei14@January 10, 2006, 5:15 PM
Too bad Bob Lutz dodges the production question.
Basically she prolly isn't going to see the lite of day. Besides the fact that she looks like a real heffer. And with a 400-hp LS2, and I'm gunna venture that thing will tip the scales at like 4250 with driver and full tank...
Basically I doubt any stock mustang gt needs to worry too much. And moddec GT/ stock Shelby/ modded shelbys have even less to fear. GM will over price, and overweigh the car. Yeah they did the Z06 right. But the Z06 owes most of it's performance ability to it's low weight and high power.
Really??? Ya think so???

I heard different. Check out most of the GM boards that will tell you otherwise and you'll definitely get an idea of what this car is going to weigh in. Believe me 4250lbs. ain't it. That would make it heavier than the Challenger, especially when this car is supposed to be similar in size to the Mustang. More than likely it'll weigh in between 3500-3800lbs. just like the Mustang.

Also, a stock 300hp Mustang GT does not need to worry about getting mopped up by a 400+hp LS2 Camaro? Come on get real.
Old 1/10/06, 05:38 PM

Am I crazy? Why do I think it looks like a Cadillac?
Old 1/10/06, 05:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I think I've become one of the minority who actually LIKES it.
Old 1/10/06, 05:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by korinwoodo@January 10, 2006, 6:43 PM
I think I've become one of the minority who actually LIKES it.
You're not the only one. If it gets the green light from Klutz...I mean, LUTZ!!! then I might consider it as an alternative to whatever Ford comes out with for the Mustang's redesign around the same time.
Old 1/10/06, 05:51 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That's a good point...
while the Mustang is gearing up for a redesign around that time... it may pull some people over to that car, if they don't like what ford has up their sleeves next.

I don't see that happening for me...unless its like a Foxbody style car... which I don't see ford doing again.
I think they will stick with the DNA of the Mustang like they have for since 94 again...
Old 1/10/06, 05:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by The Deviant One@January 10, 2006, 7:52 PM
You're not the only one. If it gets the green light from Klutz...I mean, LUTZ!!! then I might consider it as an alternative to whatever Ford comes out with for the Mustang's redesign around the same time.
I totally agree. Thats exactly the time ill be in the market for this genre of car as well.
Old 1/10/06, 05:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Boomer@January 10, 2006, 6:54 PM
That's a good point...
while the Mustang is gearing up for a redesign around that time... it may pull some people over to that car, if they don't like what ford has up their sleeves next.

I don't see that happening for me...unless its like a Foxbody style car... which I don't see ford doing again.
I think they will stick with the DNA of the Mustang like they have for since 94 again...
I'm sure Ford will keep the Mustang similar to its current styling around that time and it might still keep me from coming over to the dark side, but I just can't help ignore the fact that GM has finally made something that I like and might afford. Oh I wish I had enough money to buy all three pony cars...
Old 1/11/06, 03:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by burningman@January 10, 2006, 7:09 PM
More Camaro shots plus interior shots

Thanks serious wheels!
looks like something from my toilet 10min ago....
Old 1/11/06, 07:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Now, according to reports from the auto shows, reaction to the Camaro is so strong that GM is gearing up for production by 2009.

Here are a couple of points:

(1) Given the styling of the GTO, I think you can safely say that GM doesn't have geniuses in charge of design decisions. So, while I personally think the new Camaro concept looks pretty darn good as it is, there's no guarantee that they will improve the looks any.

(2) Most folks in this forum are saying not to worry about the Camaro/Firebird and that Ford will respond to whatever comes from GM. I say don't be so sure. Mustang never did catch up with Camaro/Firebird once GM upped the horsepower to 275 in 1993. In the 10 year span from '93 to '03, GM won the horsepower battle every year. Ford sold plenty of Mustangs during that period despite the horsepower deficit, so it seemed that Ford didn't care that the Mustang wasn't as fast as the Camaro.
Old 1/11/06, 07:38 AM
V6 Member

Most folks in this forum are saying not to worry about the Camaro/Firebird and that Ford will respond to whatever comes from GM. I say don't be so sure. Mustang never did catch up with Camaro/Firebird once GM upped the horsepower to 275 in 1993. In the 10 year span from '93 to '03, GM won the horsepower battle every year. Ford sold plenty of Mustangs during that period despite the horsepower deficit, so it seemed that Ford didn't care that the Mustang wasn't as fast as the Camaro.

Exactly my thinking...I am seriously worried about this, i knew that GM and Dodge were gonna bring back thier pony cars and since they already knew what they had to beat and they did. I seriously hope that ford doesnt let the mustang get blown by horsepower/performace-wise(as peviuosly said, they have a history for doing that )! I am a die hard mustang fan and while i respect the other cars/manufacters i just dont want to go through what i had to with the 4th gen mustang/camaro war. most of my friends r chevy guys and it was tuff to keep ur own in the camaro v. mustang arguments that we had so often :bang: ...I just hope ford is listining! Its not just about sales...its also about PRIDE!
Old 1/11/06, 08:15 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by wjones14@January 11, 2006, 8:21 AM
Now, according to reports from the auto shows, reaction to the Camaro is so strong that GM is gearing up for production by 2009.

Here are a couple of points:

(1) Given the styling of the GTO, I think you can safely say that GM doesn't have geniuses in charge of design decisions. So, while I personally think the new Camaro concept looks pretty darn good as it is, there's no guarantee that they will improve the looks any.

(2) Most folks in this forum are saying not to worry about the Camaro/Firebird and that Ford will respond to whatever comes from GM. I say don't be so sure. Mustang never did catch up with Camaro/Firebird once GM upped the horsepower to 275 in 1993. In the 10 year span from '93 to '03, GM won the horsepower battle every year. Ford sold plenty of Mustangs during that period despite the horsepower deficit, so it seemed that Ford didn't care that the Mustang wasn't as fast as the Camaro.
I agree, there is certainly a reason for Ford fans to be concerned about what GM and DC are bringing to the table with the Camaro and Challenger. Currently it seems both will be packing at least 400 hp in their higher performance versions, both likely to be Normally Aspirated engines. If they chose to SC either engine, the output would easily exceed 550 + which would eclipse anything Ford offers save for the uber-expensive GT engine.

Where does all this seem to be leading? Similar to what John C. stated as he departed SVT, there would seem to be a reasonable HP ceiling that most manufacturers will encounter. Insurance, reliability and other issues will conspire to limit future factory HP. Realistically, 500 hp could be the limit. I highly doubt we would see a 750 hp production car being offered by the Big Three. Limited production cars such as the GT might see some extremely HP levels but not in production cars such as the Mustang, Challenger or Camaro.

The end result could look something like this. All three manufacturers will offer 500 hp muscle/pony cars in variety of Supercharged and Normally Aspirated configurations. The trick to which car is the fastest will depend upon who creates the lightest, stiffest platform in which to house that HP. Composite body components, lightweight suspension pieces, etc. could easily be the next major push for these cars. Saving weight will have two benefits, increased performance and lower stress on all components of the vehicle.

Tighten up your belts boys and girls, this is going to be one wild ride!!!
Old 1/11/06, 08:52 AM

In the sixties GM was late with the Camaro.....but then the f-bodies ruled the 70ies....
Old 1/11/06, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

The new Gt 500 is more powerful than anything being put out by Dodge SRT or Chevy SS, even if they up their game in a few years for these two cars, my money is still on the GT 500. The Mustang will likely get some more horsepower to compete, not as much as the Camaro or Challenger, but nothing some mods or loyalty to the Mustang can't beat. I've always liked the LX Platform from Dodge, but I think Chevy is out of their mind if they're going to produce the Camaro like this. It's gonna be kind of stupid to have a 400 hp Camaro, and a 400 hp Corvette, that look almost identical. I know the Corvette would perform better, but it's still stupid. Plus the Mustang will likely have a better sticker price, insurance rates, and gas mileage than the Challenger and Camaro...that's just what I think,
Old 1/11/06, 09:35 AM
MSP
Banned

Lets all not forget about the other flavors of the Camaro which we also hope make it to final production... I myself am not to crazy about the pointy front end... I will wait for one of these other variants to make their appearance known...

http://popularhotrodding.com/features/0309phr_5camaro/

Also, lets also not forget who help to design these new Camaro's.. Kris Horton did use his eloquent pen to help develope these new Camaro's..

Props to Kris Horton!!
Old 1/11/06, 12:29 PM
Cobra Member

The grill reminds me of the Cheshire Cat smiling; I laugh whenever I look at it.
Old 1/11/06, 01:25 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't just assume you can slap a supercharger on any engine and have it survive...

How many LSx engines do you see with Forced Induction?

GM IF going to the Blue Devil is true... will not be the LS7 Supercharged.. it will not be a 7litre, but a 6.2S/C

They do have great engines and can throw them in these cars.

Forget not that its the whole package that sells... an engine in a box will only take you so far.

For all of these cars to succeed and to continue success you have to hit all the angles, which the mustang does.
It hits the Grocery Getters to the Enthusiaists... and does it at a very magic price point.

The Challenger may be a competitor to a certain level of mustang and pull some sales away, but if it is stricly a V8 with 400+ horsepower, it won't be cheap, and it won't be a large production.

The Camaro I'm guessing will be more like the mustang in that it'll have the economy versions as well as high power.
And while horsepower is nice, its not EVERYONES supreme goal....
And the aftermarket is such a factor as well.

The Camaros might have been better stock because of displacement, but... the aftermarket was VERY friendly to the mustang...

Its great to see them compete again, but lets be realistic when we actually HAVE the 2 or 3 cars lined up and selling ...

Quick Reply: Camaro concept