General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Camaro concept

Search this Thread

Old 1/22/06, 11:41 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kevinb120@January 21, 2006, 12:16 PM
I think this slew of exciting American products is giving Japan a little concern. People are going to grow tired of driving imported toaster ovens around. I say get the challenger out asap, Ford and DCX are starting to hit a stride where all of the 'old' will be gone from lineups in the very near future. Neon, Taurus, Stratus, etc are all going the way of the dodo-the cars people associate the 'brands' with. Bring on the new. No one at a stop light stares at the Accord at a traffic light admiring the fender flares. The momentum will change in the very near future.
I agree. And if it means playing the "heritage" card to do it, better still! This kind of momentum can only spur the American auto industry forward.

I do think the Camaro offers a genuine alternative to the Mustang and Challenger, though, and I do think it could present similar headaches for Japan. So bring it on too!
Old 1/22/06, 11:42 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by kevinb120@January 21, 2006, 12:16 PM
I think this slew of exciting American products is giving Japan a little concern. People are going to grow tired of driving imported toaster ovens around. I say get the challenger out asap, Ford and DCX are starting to hit a stride where all of the 'old' will be gone from lineups in the very near future. Neon, Taurus, Stratus, etc are all going the way of the dodo-the cars people associate the 'brands' with. Bring on the new. No one at a stop light stares at the Accord at a traffic light admiring the fender flares. The momentum will change in the very near future.
I agree. And if it means playing the "heritage" card to do it, better still! This kind of momentum can only spur the American auto industry forward.

I do think the Camaro offers a bonafide alternative to the Mustang and Challenger, though, and I do think it could present similar headaches for Japan. So bring it on too!
Old 1/22/06, 11:49 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by kevinb120@January 21, 2006, 4:30 PM
Well, cars like the Fusion and Edge are quite bold in the class it sits in, and underprices all of the competition, even hyundai. The Fusion actually stands out in trafffc too. Even the new dodge compact(forgot the name) has visual 'zip'. The new Camry, for example, looks like a rushed redo to go try to recapture sales lost to Hyundai. Toyota simply looks at what is capturing market share from a certain vehicle, and reskins the car with that car's styling features. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat....
I do think that Toyota is growing complacent when it comes to introducing exciting-looking vehicles that stir passion. And I think if they continue with this bland formula, it will come back to bite them in the hiney (EDIT: "hiney" means **** ).

Think about it: Aside from the FJ Cruiser (which IS very cool) does Toyota - or even Lexus - have one car that makes you excited? Where is the new Supra that's been promised and promised?

This is a perfect chance for Ford, GM and DCX to make up some ground.

And the new Edge...magnificent-looking vehicle that is! I think that's the most exciting non-Mustang Ford I've seen in decades. If they can introduce more vehicles that look to have this level of design, quality and features, they will certainly be back in the game (the Edge is much better executed than the Fusion, IMHO).