General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Camaro concept

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/06, 11:52 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
pissed him off? just a little :P you only called his car a cheapo crappy econobox.

all this talk of not knowing wat ur looking at takes me back to freshman year where i saw my first ever 67 camaro..

i thought to myself, what kind of mustang is that?!

cuz at this point i had all the body styles memorized and i thot i knew em all, but i totally couldnt tell what it was, but i liked it, especially they windveil blue-esqu paint. took me forever to realize it was a camaro. up until then id only really seen the 80s and 90s ones. i had to litterally read the script on it to find out what it was...

as long as we're all embarassing ourselves here, lol, iu thot id add that
Old 1/13/06, 05:35 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by korinwoodo@January 12, 2006, 11:29 PM
GTOs are illegal in Canada for some reason.
To answer your question, its because the GTO couldn't pass the canadian bumper regulations (they are a little different from the US). That is the same reason you don't see the Mitsubishi EVO's in Canada as well.

I hope GM doesn't drag things out like they did with the solstice. When they are ready to go to production, they can show the model the year before and make it.
Old 1/13/06, 07:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The more I see it the more this Camaro is growing on me but I would definitely have chosen my Mustang over it!

Out of this "New" Muscle car class I'd pick:
1. Mustang
2. Challanger
3. Camaro
4. Charger
5. GTO(and even though it's not in this class I'd still take a Magnum over the GTO)

Someone should set this up as a vote! I'd be curious to see the results.
Old 1/13/06, 09:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely Mustang is still my #1 pick out of all of those, but it sure is good to finally have some OTHER choices.

If this was set up as a vote mine would be in this order:

1. Mustang
2. Camaro
3. Challenger
4. GTO
5. Charger
Old 1/13/06, 09:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Galaxie@January 13, 2006, 6:38 AM
To answer your question, its because the GTO couldn't pass the canadian bumper regulations (they are a little different from the US). That is the same reason you don't see the Mitsubishi EVO's in Canada as well.

I hope GM doesn't drag things out like they did with the solstice. When they are ready to go to production, they can show the model the year before and make it.
Thanks for shedding some light on that issue. I tried to find some old articles on why GTO and Evo couldn't pass new safety laws in Canada, but came up empty handed.

Yea. They (GM) needs to bring out something quick to boost them out of debt. Right now, it looks like they're sinking faster than the Titanic.
Old 1/13/06, 10:22 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Camaro Drives Off With Auto Show Buzz
Chicago Tribune

By Jim Mateja

Jan. 13, 2006

DETROIT – The Chevrolet Camaro concept stole the show.

More than six hours after it was unveiled and despite a continuous stream of introductions from other manufacturers, photographers were still snapping pictures of Camaro at the Detroit auto show media preview.

All the while, General Motors executives insisted that it was only a concept not approved for production. Except Bob Lutz and Ed Welburn hinted otherwise.

Lutz, head of product development for GM, said the sales target would be 120,000 to 150,000 annually and the price would be $200 more than the rival Ford Mustang to account for more equipment. GM's chief designer added a convertible is in the works.

More important, Lutz said the concept runs, with real engine, transmission, brakes and suspension.

A running model makes it difficult to buy any "what if" argument, good news because GM could use attractions other than the Pontiac Solstice.

The Camaro concept is built off the same rear-wheel-drive platform as the Pontiac GTO, which GM imports from its Holden subsidiary in Australia.

"It's too early to tell where we'd build it, but I wouldn't contemplate importing it from Australia," Lutz said.

GM Chairman Rick Wagoner said there are four rear-drive platforms to choose from – Solstice, Corvette, Cadillac and trucks.

That makes Cadillac the likely candidate because Solstice is too small, the Corvette plant doesn't have room, not too many sports cars come off truck platforms and Cadillacs are built in Lansing, Mich., not Australia.
Old 1/13/06, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

So I guess Klutz...I mean Lutz might be giving us a wink-wink that Camaro will certainly get the green light, eh? I only hope so. They need this car along with the Solctice to bring more people into their showrooms.

Also, I assume IF it's built on a Cadillac platform, would it be Sigma?
Old 1/13/06, 03:24 PM
Cam Tease

Just $200 bucks more than the Mustang? With an LSx and IRS? If that comes true I'm kissing brand loyalty goodbye.

(unless Ford counters of course)
Old 1/13/06, 03:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by AnotherMustangMan@January 13, 2006, 4:27 PM
Just $200 bucks more than the Mustang? With an LSx and IRS? If that comes true I'm kissing brand loyalty goodbye.

(unless Ford counters of course)
Lol.
Old 1/13/06, 04:16 PM
Post *****

out of these new "muscle cars" id take:

1: Stang GT, or a Mach
2: Camaro
3: GTO
4: Charger
5: Challenger

and that camaro is looking pretty darded good rightabout now. i mean $200 is nothing compared to the whole price of the car, and even with just say the 350hp 5.7L well.. DANG lol i want it!
Old 1/13/06, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here's an interesting little tidbit I found on GMInsideNews you guys might be interested in:

See the following article from one of Canada's leading national newspapers:

Section: Financial Post
Byline: Chris Vander Doelen
Outlet: National Post
Headline: GM reintroduces Camaro as concept car: Carmaker not obliged to produce model in Canada, spokesman says
Date: Tuesday 10 January 2006
Dateline: DETROIT
Source: CanWest News Service
DETROIT - When General Motors Corp. stopped building Camaros and Firebirds in Ste. Therese, Que., five years ago, the company promised Canadian Auto Workers president Buzz Hargrove it would not build the car anywhere else.
As recently as last summer, when the union was negotiating a new labour agreement with GM, Mr. Hargrove said he believed GM still had an obligation to build the cars somewhere in Canada if it resurrected the mass-market sports car.
GM appears to be on the brink of reintroducing the Camaro, which it showed yesterday as a concept car. Given Ford's success with its new Mustang and Chrysler's plan to bring back the Dodge Challenger, GM is under pressure to get back into the "pony car" wars with its own two-door, rear-wheel-drive car.
However, product chief Bob Lutz said the Camaro probably will not be built in Canada, even if enthusiasts demand it be built and the billion-dollar project is given the green light by the troubled company's financial planners.
"For a while, we were very sensitive to that," Mr. Lutz said of the agreement yesterday when reminded of his pledge to Mr. Hargrove. "But we believe that enough time has gone by. We have fulfilled our obligations."
Pressed by Canadian reporters about the verbal deal, he said: "We couldn't move it to another facility."
"We have fulfilled the obligation of not moving the car. Five years have gone by. It is no longer a sensitive issue."
Mr. Hargrove could not be immediately reached.
"Since we haven't approved the car yet it would be way too early to speculate on where it would be built," Mr. Lutz said.
He said GM would make a decision on the Camaro concept in "about six months. That's how long it took us to decide on the [Pontiac] Solstice."
Here's another more interesting part from the same article:

He does not think the new car would be on the road quickly, even if it is approved for production.
"We've got a lot on our plate right now. We really have to study the numbers. If it was a matter of what we'd like to do, I'd do this one first. But we've got hybrids to bring out. We've got a whole generation of crossovers, the next generation of Hummers. The question is, when could we handle it [the Camaro] from an engineering workload standpoint?"
Old 1/13/06, 04:33 PM
Cam Tease

No joke man, my list is yours with 4 and 5 reversed, but its a close spread. If the Mustang gets 99.9 points, the Camaro gets 99.8, GTO gets 99.7 etc etc.

BUT I'm cheap as dirt, so bang for the buck is all I care about.
Old 1/13/06, 04:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by future9er24@January 13, 2006, 5:19 PM
out of these new "muscle cars" id take:

1: Stang GT, or a Mach
2: Camaro
3: GTO
4: Charger
5: Challenger

and that camaro is looking pretty darded good rightabout now. i mean $200 is nothing compared to the whole price of the car, and even with just say the 350hp 5.7L well.. DANG lol i want it!
Are you sure you JUST want an LS1 in there, especially if this thing is gonna cost more than the 05+ GT? That would be a rip-off! :P
Old 1/13/06, 04:36 PM
Cam Tease

Whats great about GMs push rods is they're so cheap to produce! A 400hp LS2 is cheaper to produce than our 300hp 4.6.
Old 1/13/06, 07:09 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by AnotherMustangMan@January 13, 2006, 1:39 PM
Whats great about GMs push rods is they're so cheap to produce! A 400hp LS2 is cheaper to produce than our 300hp 4.6.
Must resist... putting on... Bowtie. Can't give in... to... the "dark side"! If GM can put IRS, 6spd, and more than 350 hp in a Camaro for $200 more than a Mustang GT, I'd be all over that. Might get better treatment at their dealerships too. What if... they de-stroked the LSx to 302 CI with a redline near 7000RPM (like a concept Camaro they had a while back)?
Old 1/13/06, 08:29 PM
Post *****

Originally posted by The Deviant One@January 13, 2006, 5:38 PM
Are you sure you JUST want an LS1 in there, especially if this thing is gonna cost more than the 05+ GT? That would be a rip-off! :P
hey, an extra 50 horses for only $200?? that seems like a pretty good deal for me
Old 1/13/06, 08:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

1. Mustang
2. Challenger
3. GTO (400 HP!!!!)
4. Charger (HEMI!!)

way, way down

5. Camaro (just so darn fugly!)
Old 1/13/06, 08:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I used to have a 1968 RS/SS until it was stolen. 350 4 bolt main That was my third car ever without a DL's licence
1 st 1966 Ford Falcon
2 nd 1965 Mustang 3 speed
3 rd 1968 Camero
4 th 1968 Galaxie
5 th 1996 BMW 2002
6 th all Gov't vehicles
7 th 2005 Mustang GT
All this Camero chat is really making me sick in that I miss what I once had and would like one day to attain it again
it was this exact color but a 1968
Now will I get flamed for the picture sorry
Old 1/13/06, 09:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by future9er24@January 13, 2006, 9:32 PM
hey, an extra 50 horses for only $200?? that seems like a pretty good deal for me
Sure. BUT wouldn't you rather have that LS2 with 100 extra hp for only $200?
Old 1/13/06, 09:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by GottaHaveIt@January 13, 2006, 9:47 PM
I used to have a 1968 RS/SS until it was stolen. 350 4 bolt main That was my third car ever without a DL's licence
1 st 1966 Ford Falcon
2 nd 1965 Mustang 3 speed
3 rd 1968 Camero
4 th 1968 Galaxie
Gov't vehicles
2005 Mustang GT
All this Camero chat is really making me sick in that I miss what I once had and would like one day to attain it again
it was this exact color but a 1968
Now will I get flamed for the picture sorry
That is a nice color indeed. My best friend had one in high school too...a 68, same color and stripes, except with a ZZ4 crate and a 9" Ford rear end. Unfortunately he sold it to buy his brother's '67 Chevelle Malibu. Lots of memories in that car.

As for getting flamed...don't worry man, you got my respect. Props to anyone who loves and respects nice cars, no matter what brand.

Quick Reply: Camaro concept