General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

C8 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/23, 12:39 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
C8 Corvette

Like a great portion of performance car enthusiasts, I have been curious on the Vette's latest generation since it was introduced. Would I like to have one? Absolutely! For the 2020-2022s I would not consider getting one because of the ridiculous prices but I figured the '23 might be coming down to Earth so I decided to do some window shopping mainly on the Autotrader website.

I found several dealers within 500 miles from my zip code with most dealers asking $5-20K over MSRP, some willing to sell at MSRP, and a handful with up to $3K off MSRP with the one constant factor being those dealers having the cars for a few months. I also looked at used ones which most advertised prices were actually higher than their original window stickers and some more expensive than new ones. The one odd thing I found in my lurking was that there are more used cars listed than new cars. I found that interesting considering the C8's popularity and led me to research the actual quality and performance of the 2020-2023s. What I found was disappointing to say the least, I have not seen a performance car with so many issues and problems since the 2007 Mustang GT500 which I happen to have 2 of them.

Presently listed Vettes on the Autotrader nationwide are as follow:
- New 2023 Coupes 738, New Verts 343.
- Used 2020-2023 Coupes 1,000 plus, Verts 825

All the professional reviews and You Tube videos have been very enthusiastic in promoting the C8 Corvette declaring it to be the best generation ever, a bargain and even comparing it to the likes of Ferrari and other European sports cars at a fraction of their cost. I don't consider a such beautifully designed and engineered car to be a bargain when it is taken out for a spin and having the provability of returning home in a tow truck.

Posting this topic is not intended to bash the Vette, it is only what my research turned out to be and my opinion. By contrast, I had a base C7 2014 for 2 years and a 2016 Z51 for 3 years without a single problem and only taken to dealers for scheduled maintenance.

Last edited by 1 COBRA; 2/3/23 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Typos
The following 4 users liked this post by 1 COBRA:
Glenn (2/6/23), NC14GT (2/5/23), shaneyusa (2/3/23), Stage_3 (2/5/23)
Old 2/3/23, 01:17 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,126 Likes on 808 Posts
Thanks for posting your findings. I have been interested, but not in any kind of buy mode yet. Have been seeing similar information as you posted. Wondering how GM can design a new fantastically looking car and then totally destroy the reputation of a beloved car. Won't be looking to buy one of these anytime soon. Would like a middle years build of a C7 though!
The following users liked this post:
NC14GT (2/5/23)
Old 2/3/23, 04:00 PM

I'd be interested if the quality improves. I can live with small issues or problems but not major issues such as drivetrain, suspension, or computer problems. It seems the C8 functions unlike past generations are mostly controlled by the computer. It's a safe to assume that if one wants to breath in or around the car there is likely a sensor for it.

I would have to consider whether I can afford it or want to spend such a large amount, and most important if I would be willing to part with my '04 Tbird which is mint, low miles, everything works, and no problems, obviously not high performance but it is a good cruiser. Other items to take into account would be high yearly maintenance costs (only 1 free maintenance visit), tires are extremely expensive, insurance which I assume won't be cheap either, and unforeseen miscellaneous surprises. It being mid-engine it's a whole new ballgame and not everyone can work on it.

When you get yours make sure you call me for a free test drive.
NC14GT (2/5/23)
Old 2/5/23, 07:03 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,014 Likes on 630 Posts
Corvettes are highly overrated IMO and I have owned two of them. Zero desire for another. They have WAY MORE issues than most other GM models. The new ones will be no different.
Let me break down the C6 model. I owned a 2009 which performed amazing, however here are the things commonly occurring with them. Automatic transmission lever breaking in 'park' and you get stuck in the worst places. Cheap plastic crap (why??). Leaks on the top of the gas tank which requires serious labor and a $2,500 repair for automatic tranny cars. Wheel rims that need repair over the smallest of potholes. Convertible tops so complex it takes a boatload of $$ to properly repair. The elastic-like bands go bad real quick with age. ECU issues that are never 'simple'. The sales manager at the local Chevy dealership told me that 25 separate components could cause ECU problems. There are even more. My now 22 year old Trans Am in comparison has had very few problems other than the rear end ($900). That's the worse repair in 2 decades of owning it. Why would a GM made Trans Am be better than a Corvette for reliability? That should not happen. I won't even get into the C4 Corvette. That's laughable, from the poorly made plastic interior to the rubber seals, to the windshield wipers. They literally fall apart. Wonderful performing cars but you better have the $$$ to keep them up.
I sold both of mine before they became money pits. Other than not having any storage room, they were a blast to drive. No doubt about it. My T/A however gives me the same enjoyment and the 'vert top is as simply made as can be. The GT speaks for itself (always a Mustang in the garage) and the R/T that I got to replace the C6 is in equal company.
Here were my two Corvettes, and my last. No more.

2009 Atomic Orange C6

1996 Z51 C4 Anniversary

Last edited by NC14GT; 2/5/23 at 07:05 AM.
Old 2/5/23, 08:17 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,232 Posts
I LOVE the C& Corvette body style. Not too crazy about the C8 looks, but they are great performers.
Now,.....the C8 Z07 car, that's a whole 'nuther level. That is BEAST MODE!!!!!!

I sometimes kick myself for not buying the C7 Z07 Car that MacMulkin Chevrolet had on the floor years ago. It was a 2019 car, the last year of the C7. I still think about that car. What a beastly, menacing looking car. Too much toxic masculinity with that one!! LOL Black over black over black. We emailed back and forth a couple of times. I was thinking about the payments and was a bit nervous about it, but looking back, I know I could have handled it. Hey,.......everything happens for a reason.
Old 2/6/23, 12:43 AM

I view the Corvette as America's sports car without any doubt like I view the Mustang as America's sports coupe mainly because both have had continuous production since introduced unlike other GM and Chrysler performance cars. But the so anticipated, expensive, and hard to get C8s having 2,000 +/- used ones for sale is one serious red flag to me.

I feel sorry for all those who bought at a premium and wound up getting rid of them at a likely depreciated value. There has to be a common reason, my guess is disappointment.

Last edited by 1 COBRA; 2/6/23 at 12:45 AM.
Old 2/6/23, 04:41 PM

One would think a small 3.9L V-8 Engine would be fuel efficient but it is not although it is worth every gallon.

Old 2/6/23, 07:45 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 COBRA
One would think a small 3.9L V-8 Engine would be fuel efficient but it is not although it is worth every gallon.

I didn't know you had a last gen bird. I always loved those, I had a low miles 89 SC in the early to mid 2000s. Great car.

I've been wondering lately if anyone has tried to do one like yours, but a custom with a Coyote swap brakes, suspension etc. Haven't seen one.
Old 2/6/23, 09:06 PM

I got it for my wife last year with 1,700 miles on it, one owner, looks like it just came out of a showroom. All original with the exception of the tires, no mods, and I get to take it to fill the gas tank.

It gets 14-15 MPG in the city and probably around 18 on the highway

The following 2 users liked this post by 1 COBRA:
NC14GT (2/7/23), shaneyusa (2/7/23)
Old 2/6/23, 09:17 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Beautiful car. Surprised about the mileage though.
NC14GT (2/7/23)
Old 2/6/23, 09:57 PM

We looked at quite a few for almost two years for '04s and '05s. Considering its age I wanted to lessen the risks by finding one that appeared to have been well taken care of. Main reasons for choosing the Tbird were comfort, the removable hardtop, and most importantly the V8.

Funny how things turn out. I used to make fun of the Tbird by saying it looked like Mickey Mouse.
Old 2/7/23, 02:03 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,014 Likes on 630 Posts
I view the Corvette as America's sports car without any doubt like I view the Mustang as America's sports coupe mainly because both have had continuous production since introduced unlike other GM and Chrysler performance cars. But the so anticipated, expensive, and hard to get C8s having 2,000 +/- used ones for sale is one serious red flag to me.

I feel sorry for all those who bought at a premium and wound up getting rid of them at a likely depreciated value. There has to be a common reason, my guess is disappointment.
I really like your wife's Thunderbird. Sweet!!!! I would own that car over ANY Corvette, especially this new one.
Why am I not surprised. I'm so done with them. The YouTube video is rather boring overall but this short article says it all.

https://autos.yahoo.com/heres-happen...144100302.html

Last edited by NC14GT; 2/7/23 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Added link
1 COBRA (2/7/23)
Old 2/7/23, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by NC14GT
...The YouTube video is rather boring overall but this short article says it all.

https://autos.yahoo.com/heres-happen...144100302.html
Sooo... I guess I am part of the "Beaching, Complaining, and Gas Lighting" Club.

Well, kudos to him because even though the guy took it up the exhaust he took it like a man. Although his demeaner is very calm his body language tells a different story, might be disappointment and/or concern. I wonder how he will react if history repeats itself, regardless, he'll carry that taste every time he pushes the start button for as long as he keeps that Z06 specially if he takes it to the track. If I were in his place I would feel I have been raped. Sad.
NC14GT (2/7/23)
Old 2/7/23, 10:20 AM

Inquiring minds want to know...

... ... ...

... would anyone know if dealer mark ups on Corvettes include lifetime AAA Memberships?
Thanks a Mill!

NC14GT (2/7/23)
Old 2/7/23, 10:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by NC14GT
Corvettes are highly overrated IMO and I have owned two of them. Zero desire for another.
I woulda been happy with a C6, maybe a Grand Sport ... but after reading this, I feel better that I can't really afford one right now, will try to stay happy with my Mustang!
NC14GT (2/7/23)
Old 2/7/23, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Beautiful car. Surprised about the mileage though.
I have seen some with less miles than ours, hard to find but every once in a while one pops up.

A/T has a diamond in the rough '03 007 Edition with 61.5 miles:

Used 2003 Ford Thunderbird for sale in Greenville, SC 29607: Convertible Details - 671771376 - Autotrader

Old 2/7/23, 01:11 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I have seen some with less miles than ours, hard to find but every once in a while one pops up.

A/T has a diamond in the rough '03 007 Edition with 61.5 miles:

Used 2003 Ford Thunderbird for sale in Greenville, SC 29607: Convertible Details - 671771376 - Autotrader
I meant the gas mileage, sorry about that. I realized how it read after you replied.
Old 2/7/23, 01:57 PM

How about a duel? 10 paces?
Old 2/7/23, 02:29 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Old 2/7/23, 02:31 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
How about a duel? 10 paces?
Here You Go!

KC
The following 2 users liked this post by 05stangkc:
NC14GT (2/7/23), Stage_3 (2/11/23)

Quick Reply: C8 Corvette