The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   General Vehicle Discussion/News (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f647/)
-   -   Brand New 2016 Chevy Camaro SS Goes From 0 to 60 MPH In Just 4.0 Seconds (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f647/brand-new-2016-chevy-camaro-ss-goes-0-60-mph-just-4-0-seconds-538863/)

BavarianStang 4/16/16 04:47 AM

The 0-60 in 3.9 seconds tested by C&D very nice - but really impressive is the 4,0 second run from 5-60 - this shows what a hell of motor that Chevy engine is!
That's quicker than the M3/M4!!

N/A engine 1
Turbo 0

:-)

Dmagil01US 4/16/16 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by BavarianStang (Post 6977380)
The 0-60 in 3.9 seconds tested by C&D very nice - but really impressive is the 4,0 second run from 5-60 - this shows what a hell of motor that Chevy engine is!
That's quicker than the M3/M4!!

N/A engine 1
Turbo 0

:-)

not really considering that is there Cadillac of engines, there putting there Corvette 455 in the camaro's to compete with the mustang, price wise of imagine you could snatch up a GT 350 for about the same price with the 5.2L putting out 526 hp. So in fact Chevy has to use a big block to compete with the small block which will cost you at both purchase time and at the gas pump. I'll give Chevy that they've improved on the overall look of the car but still way to many blind spots to be a daily driving type of vehicle for my liking.

bob 4/17/16 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dmagil01US (Post 6977382)
not really considering that is there Cadillac of engines, there putting there Corvette 455 in the camaro's to compete with the mustang, price wise of imagine you could snatch up a GT 350 for about the same price with the 5.2L putting out 526 hp. So in fact Chevy has to use a big block to compete with the small block which will cost you at both purchase time and at the gas pump. I'll give Chevy that they've improved on the overall look of the car but still way to many blind spots to be a daily driving type of vehicle for my liking.

The LT is a small block ( despite its displacement the 6.2 is physically smaller than the Coyote and it's variant also a tad bit lighter as well ) . Also I wouldn't judge the LT solely on its displacement and peak power. Where this engine shines ( and proves the trite if true saying there is no replacement for displacement ) is in the low to mid range where the LT is making more power than the 5.2 in the Shelby. The other nice thing about the LT ( outside of OE considerations like emissions and longevity ) is that the engine is fairly corked up and responds really well to mods ( a guy in my AO is laying down over 500 rwhp with basic bolt ons and a tune ) . People can snicker and laugh at its one cam, 16 valves and large displacement but it's an undeniably effective engine in a nice tight package.

Dmagil01US 4/17/16 08:26 AM

Engine labs is doing a comparison on these 2 engines, the dyno stats on the 455 are posted on their website, they haven't competed and/or posted the 5.0 dyno yet. The interesting thing with the Chevy block is there still using pushrods and standard 2valves a cylinder, not much research and development by GM here especially where it is the Corvette LS3 engine which is why they can keep the cost down i'd imagine or there just continuing to milk the consumer. Really comes down to are you a Ford, Chevy, or Mopar person. Each one of these engines can produce more horse power with aftermarket mods than you really ever will need for the streets. Personally I prefer Ford's, I like the challenge that getting horse power out of the 60's and early 70's motors presented, also first muscle car was a 71 Torino GT with a 351C 4bbl which I dumped close to $11,000 rebuilding the engine, transmission, and rear end.

bob 4/19/16 08:45 PM

The interesting thing with the Chevy block is there still using pushrods and standard 2valves a cylinder, not much research and development by GM here especially where it is the Corvette LS3 engine which is why they can keep the cost down i'd imagine or there just continuing to milk the consumer.

Actually the there is a substantial amount of development there but its in the details and not the cam or valve count. GM is posting excellent low, mid and high lift numbers with their cylinder heads, just really great stuff when you start looking into the details. I'm not a GM guy in any way ( I consider the current trend of stuffing LS motors into a Fox car a heresy on par with taking a jaunt down to your local church in a dead fetus skin suit ) and I love the Coyote and MOD motors for what they are but I've got to give it to GM - they are building a really competitive engine in output and fuel economy using a fairly pedestrian design (especially compared to FCA's hemi which should have the edge with its splayed valve cylinder head) and leveraging it exceptionally well as the 2016 Camaro SS demonstrates.

BavarianStang 4/28/16 05:41 PM

Another Question..

I saw the "GmPowertrain" information about an "new" 8L90 transmission, that features Engine Start/ Stop.

Do you know if of when this feature will be implemented in the Camaro (or other GM products) ??