General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

(Another) New Stablemate for Marilyn!!!

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/18, 08:59 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Meant to reply to all these posts over the weekend! Apologies. I have a few thoughts to share on my ride too... I'll try to get to those today/this week.

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
Very nice there Burton!

Welcome to the mud and snow side! (Guess you could call it the Dark side.) And yes it is OK, even a encouraged, to have dirt on your JL.

Love my Jeeps, course I have been a Cherokee/Grand Cherokee guy for a long time. On number 5 (1 Cherokee & 4 Grands). Have two JGC's parked in the garage next to my Roush. A 2012 white Overland (wife's daily with only 36k on it. And yes it is spotlessly clean), and a 2017 Trailhawk. Love that Granite Crystal on the TH, but considered the Redline Red. Wife just could not do it.

But the Red was a very nice choice for your Unlimited. Sounds like you are going with the soft top? Black or painted fenders?

Last summer I was dealing on a couple of '17 Unlimited Wranglers in the Rubicon Recon. Of the two I was dealing on one was Black (with Red accents) and the other was Firecracker Red. Really liked the Red! But in the end I just could not give up some of the lux items found in the JGC so I came back to the old familiar. Tough for an old guy to give up the power seats. rain sensitive wipers, and adaptive cruise. Still wondering if I made the right choice.

The '18 JL is supposed to be a major upgrade over the '17. I will have to watch your thread and see how you like it. Love the looks, can't wait for the pics!
Shane - I didn't know you were a Jeep guy too! I have always been a Wrangler fan... I was also shaky on the Chrysler reliability, but I figured, it was time to jump in regardless. And I'm pretty handy on my own, so I'm not worried. Are you happy with Chrysler vehicle ownership in general?

I can't wait for my JLUS (apparently, I'm learning the lingo - it means JL model, Unlimited, and Sport) Yes, I went with the PREMIUM (not regular - the premium nets me better fabric vs vinyl, better insulation for sound and weather, and also spring assisted for easier top down and up), 6 speed, black fenders and top for contrast. My them is red and matte black (not gloss). I'll have to show you guys my thoughts for first mods.

Originally Posted by Gabe
Apparently it an Autotrader "Must Test Drive" vehicle for 2018,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7mjz_T1SlU

Burton, did you go with the 3.6 V6 or the new turbo 4-banger?
I heard great things about the 4, but I'm thinking you went with the 6.
Kinda wish they offered a V8 ... at least they really SHOULD in the new Wrangler pickup coming out next year

Oh, and here's a longer video with a red one in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLj9D4vo56Q

Gabe, thanks for the vids bud. I've seen them already I think... I esp like the second one! Of all the video reviews I've watched, I esp enjoyed all 30 mins of that second one. He did a good job. His review was actually what helped sway me overall to it. Remember, I was on the fence getting another sports car/convertible - but decided to go the Wrangler route ultimately.

Hey Gabe awesome videos! Thanks for sharing. Watched them both all the way through. Now I want to go buy me an '18 Unlimited!
Old 4/2/18, 10:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
You're welcome.
If I'm not mistaken I think I mentioned the Wrangler as a possible choice when you posted up in your other thread looking for ideas for the next toy
Old 4/4/18, 01:56 PM
I Have No Life

You're welcome.
If I'm not mistaken I think I mentioned the Wrangler as a possible choice when you posted up in your other thread looking for ideas for the next toy
Actually, I DO remember you stating that! So really, it's you who I have to thank? lol...

----

So I have thought of the first mods I need to do - upon delivery of Wruby. Unfortunately, I had to promise the wifey right away, that I couldn't do "mods" per se, at least through this year. Luckily, I convinced her of several MUST DO's no matter what... I mixed "safety" as some of the reasons too. LOL.

a) Side steps/rocker steps (as I mentioned in previous post)
b) all weather mats (Husky or WeatherTech - personally, I like the set of Huskies I got for the wife for her car. They're more durable and form fitting, imo.)
c) LED Headlights/foglights - yep, I somehow convinced her of "safety".
d) Removal of the Euro spec bumper/fender guard - that plastic piece is so fugly.
e) Blackout of Jeep emblem (plastidip, likely)
f) (stretch goal of convincing her) - Rubicon style front grille. Cheap/ghetto way is to just use plastidip. Next more expensive way is by purchasing black inserts once Mopar or aftermarket has them available. Last way is to purchase the Rubicon grille itself from Mopar.

I'll post pics when I get time of b) through d) when I get time... I can show you what I mean.
Old 4/4/18, 02:09 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
What no jeep eyebrows?
Old 4/4/18, 05:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just please don't do one of those "frowning" or "angry" grilles ... seems like every danm Wrangler I see around here is angry ... I'm like "why so angry, cuz no power?" lol ...
Old 4/8/18, 06:03 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
What no jeep eyebrows?
oh hell mo. I hate those things. I’m not sure if soccer moms do that, or very young Jeep owners. Lol. Either way it ain’t me!

Just please don't do one of those "frowning" or "angry" grilles ... seems like every danm Wrangler I see around here is angry ... I'm like "why so angry, cuz no power?" lol ...
no worries Gabe! I won’t be doing that at all!!!
Old 4/8/18, 06:21 AM
I Have No Life

Couple things happened yesterday:

I stopped by the dealer and got an update on my order status. Ordered on 3/24, entered D status on 3/28... so today 4/7 she entered D1 status! Estimated ship is 4/21! My dealer estimated that it would be at the lot for me to drive home likely end of April or early May. You guys agree?

I’m thrilled!

Secondly, upon hearing about the status change and having an estimated ship date, I placed an order for these:

- Mopar side steps - originally wanted the tubular one but decided that the larger width of the side step would serve its function better for my wife and kids. I also thought that my kids would scratch and mar up the finish exposing the metal)... exposing the aluminum, then the silver would stick out like a sore thumb!!!

- Satin Black fuel filler door

- Mopar all weather floor mats!

- Switchback LEDs for the daytime running/turn signals. I’m still not seeing any good LED halogen headlight replacements.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/switch...gler-pair.html

MODS ARE HAPPENING! Again, before I even have the vehicle!!! Muahahahaha.
I really can’t wait! Lol

Last edited by FromZto5; 4/8/18 at 06:22 AM.
Old 4/8/18, 08:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Sounds like you've got some fun ahead of you Burton. Nice.
Definitely a snow machine. You can't go wrong with the Jeep.
Congrats!
Old 4/8/18, 08:52 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Nice Burton.
If it's anything like my truck, it took 7 weeks from order to delivery day.
Is there a fellow on the Jeep forum that can track the exact position where your Jeep is? We have a guy on the Ram forum that does that for us. I knew more than the dealership/salesman. lol
Good luck man!
Old 4/8/18, 09:58 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
I like the look of the wider running boards. They should help keep the rocks/stone chips down some too. Congrats on the new ride. You can't go wrong with a red Jeep.
Old 4/8/18, 12:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

My Charger took about 3.5 weeks, from the time I ordered it to when it was at the dealer and I was picking it up, and that's a Canadian-built car, haha.
Old 4/13/18, 06:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Very nice Burton. I like both the colors and would lean toward the Red. I think I missed which one you selected. They have some other colors they have added or will be adding. Mojito green, Punk'n Orange, and Ocean Blue.

I've wanting a Jeep for a while too, going back and forth between the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and the new JL's. I really like the new design and refinements they've done to the JL. If I can work it out I would like to get one later this year...we shall see.
Old 4/14/18, 09:44 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,199 Posts
My Charger took about 3.5 weeks, from the time I ordered it to when it was at the dealer and I was picking it up, and that's a Canadian-built car, haha.
Wow, that was quick! Less than a month.
Old 4/14/18, 10:57 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
Wow, that was quick! Less than a month.
I was thinking the same thing!
Old 4/15/18, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Hey Burton, congrats bud!

I like you have a dual personality disorder (just kidding) in that I enjoy off-roading and road racing. Very different realms. I have used my previous winter beater at a few ORV areas here in Michigan, but also in Colorado and Montana.

Then I got really hooked on road racing, and since then my ORV hobby has been getting neglected.

Ultimately if I could have any 2 cars I want 1 would be a super car and 1 an off road beast.

I am approaching 40 as well, and I have been working for a very large German Tier 1 supplier for the last 12 years. I have been pondering a mid life crisis car also. Recently I started looking into a 3 year long foreign assignment in Germany. If this comes through I have a feeling my mid life crisis car will be a Porshe 911 :-) My road course hobby is in full swing and Nurnbergring, Hockenheimring and a few other tacks like Monza are just a few hours from Stuttgart
Old 4/16/18, 04:44 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by GrnT
Sounds like you've got some fun ahead of you Burton. Nice.
Definitely a snow machine. You can't go wrong with the Jeep.
Congrats!
Originally Posted by Stage_3
Nice Burton.
If it's anything like my truck, it took 7 weeks from order to delivery day.
Is there a fellow on the Jeep forum that can track the exact position where your Jeep is? We have a guy on the Ram forum that does that for us. I knew more than the dealership/salesman. lol
Good luck man!
Originally Posted by EF1
I like the look of the wider running boards. They should help keep the rocks/stone chips down some too. Congrats on the new ride. You can't go wrong with a red Jeep.
Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
Very nice Burton. I like both the colors and would lean toward the Red. I think I missed which one you selected. They have some other colors they have added or will be adding. Mojito green, Punk'n Orange, and Ocean Blue.

I've wanting a Jeep for a while too, going back and forth between the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and the new JL's. I really like the new design and refinements they've done to the JL. If I can work it out I would like to get one later this year...we shall see.
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Hey Burton, congrats bud!

I like you have a dual personality disorder (just kidding) in that I enjoy off-roading and road racing. Very different realms. I have used my previous winter beater at a few ORV areas here in Michigan, but also in Colorado and Montana.

Then I got really hooked on road racing, and since then my ORV hobby has been getting neglected.

Ultimately if I could have any 2 cars I want 1 would be a super car and 1 an off road beast.

I am approaching 40 as well, and I have been working for a very large German Tier 1 supplier for the last 12 years. I have been pondering a mid life crisis car also. Recently I started looking into a 3 year long foreign assignment in Germany. If this comes through I have a feeling my mid life crisis car will be a Porshe 911 :-) My road course hobby is in full swing and Nurnbergring, Hockenheimring and a few other tacks like Monza are just a few hours from Stuttgart
Thanks so much guys! Yeah, the excruciating wait for the vehicle to arrive is the worst part. It brings back memories of Marilyn's order though. The fun is in the anticipation.

Actually - I have some shocking news to report - see next post.
Old 4/16/18, 05:29 PM
I Have No Life

Well guys - you won't believe this. But over the weekend, I started questioning my order decision... it started on Friday and carried through the weekend. So much so, that I hardly slept LOL. Yes, I'm a crazy car guy like most of you. Vehicles are SO important to me, I have to get it right or it will drive me nuts.

Anyways, as you know, I got the Sport S - so my plan was to upgrade and mod everything, but I always wanted certain features as "stock" on the vehicle I was getting. Example, I wanted the OEM LED Light Group package as part of my order. This contains LED headlights, DRL's, turns, tails, etc. Everything. Period. Well, Fiat Chrysler screwed us all over by not allowing that option to be checked off of a Sport, and only on a Sahara or Rubicon. Well, I was stubborn and didn't want to pay the up-tick in price for the trim level.

So fast forward to lately, I've been looking at upgrade options for lighting - and the aftermarket has NOT caught up yet, and the options are LED bulbs only in my stock reflectors (not projectors) so I wasn't doing that, or the Mopar LED OEM kit, but that was just as expensive for ONLY the headlights!!! The package was for ALL the lights! Add to that buying my Mopar side steps, and other upgrades, I redid the math, and the price after all my mods is the same if not more than the stock Sahara would have been. On top of that, any upgrades I do are not warrantied, obviously. Also, things like the 7" display/tech package was an option upper on the Sport, while standard on the Sahara... things like that, annoying.

Yesterday Sunday, I contacted my dealership and they were awesome in the fact that they allowed me to switch my order, despite being in D1 stage! So I went in today to finalize that order. I was actually on the fence for the COLOR! Yes, again.

Ultimately - I walked into the dealership today prepared to order a Granite. But then I spent 15 minutes on their lot and looked at them both again. The Granite just blended in with the rows of vehicles - the whites, grays, silvers, blacks, etc. Then my eyes glanced over to the sole Red Jeep, and BOOM, it popped.

The Red also fits the personality of the vehicle - fun, lively, etc. - and frankly, myself. So I ordered Red AGAIN! I ordered a Firecracker Red Sahara!!! The crappy part is I will lose my D1 status and probably won't get my Jeep till July. UGH.

Here's my specs!

and my virtual Jeep

Also, here's a pic of someone else's Jeep that mine will look like, sortta - but have a soft black top instead of hard.

Old 4/16/18, 05:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Wow, well, aren't you a firecracker! Lol ...
Old 4/16/18, 06:14 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Look’n good. Sure you don’t want the hard top? I think you will be much happier with the Sahara over the Sport. I do like the painted fenders and the painted hard top. I think you will find the soft top a bit chilly in the winter months.
Old 4/17/18, 12:40 PM
I Have No Life

Wow, well, aren't you a firecracker! Lol ...
Firecracker indeed! Actually, I still need ideas for a license plate - I'm sure you're full of ideas, Gabe. Help a brotha out!

Look’n good. Sure you don’t want the hard top? I think you will be much happier with the Sahara over the Sport. I do like the painted fenders and the painted hard top. I think you will find the soft top a bit chilly in the winter months.
Thanks Shane! Yes, no hardtop. It will be a pain to store that, firstly. Secondly, it will be mostly down when I drive her in the summer/warm months. Thirdly, the heater on these babies work REALLY good, and the new tops are well constructed and insulated. Also, these things are so customizable, that if I ever wanted to get a hardtop too, I could... and just add. The hardtop though, I think if painted, is too much red, and would like some contrast. Just me...

Quick Reply: (Another) New Stablemate for Marilyn!!!