General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

16 year old given SS for birthday

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/10, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Red Star
What makes you think that I had a 4-cyl Mustang?
Sorry, must have been a six. My bad.
Old 3/9/10, 03:11 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by goldhillstang
Gee, you and your family must be direct descendents of J.C. himself. I didn't know there were that many perfect people walking the face of the earth. So you're telling me you, your brother and sister NEVER touched anything but air with any car any of you ever drove.And none of you had any wrecks before 18 WOW. I'd like to meet you all and shake your hands. Did any of you ever drive a 426 hp car? Did you ever have friends you were trying to impress? I only know on the planet I live on that EVERY teenager has done something stupid at one time or another. I wouldn't want to be the parent that gave my kid an easy means to do it.

You know not every 16 year old gets into accidents. My first accident wasnt till I was almost 17 if not 17 already. That accident wasnt my fault either since I was broadsided by a drunk driver. And yes my car had a V8 under the hood so it had power going to the back wheels. So you saying that every 16 yea old gets into accidents is just plain crazy and sounds like you are just trying to catch anything to make it sound justifiable.
Old 3/9/10, 05:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd say the bad things happen from inexpierience and testosterone
Old 3/9/10, 07:48 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Lucky kid. My parents bought me my first car for $100.00 dollars LOL!!! The day i got my drivers license (16 years old), i got my first job so i could buy gas and up-keep for my car.

I didn't have my first car wreck until i was 29 years old.
Old 3/9/10, 08:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
There we go.

I didn't have a wreck all while I was 16, btw... come to think of it, I want to say neither did my brother or sister, when they were 16... so what's up with your generalization?
Originally Posted by goldhillstang
Gee, you and your family must be direct descendents of J.C. himself. I didn't know there were that many perfect people walking the face of the earth. So you're telling me you, your brother and sister NEVER touched anything but air with any car any of you ever drove.And none of you had any wrecks before 18 WOW. I'd like to meet you all and shake your hands. Did any of you ever drive a 426 hp car? Did you ever have friends you were trying to impress? I only know on the planet I live on that EVERY teenager has done something stupid at one time or another. I wouldn't want to be the parent that gave my kid an easy means to do it.
Originally Posted by BoogieNights
You know not every 16 year old gets into accidents. My first accident wasnt till I was almost 17 if not 17 already. That accident wasnt my fault either since I was broadsided by a drunk driver. And yes my car had a V8 under the hood so it had power going to the back wheels. So you saying that every 16 yea old gets into accidents is just plain crazy and sounds like you are just trying to catch anything to make it sound justifiable.
I would also add... dude, seriously, that wasn't called for. I only added 'And get off my lawn' as a joke, c'mon, man lighten up.

To make it right in your circumstance... I had a 1978 Mustang II, and yes, I didn't touch anything but air. When it broke for the *last time*, I got a 1966 Ford Thunderbird. That was tboned by an OLDER person, in their thirtys, and if it had been anything other than my tank, I woulda been in the hospital. But that was when I was 17 or so.

I then had yet another Tbird while that one was getting fixed, and that one I was in rush hour traffic, looked over my left shoulder to verify blind spot area looked back, *blam*, right into a station wagon. Which didn't suffer any damage, but that Tbird we fixed before mine.

Those two wrecks taught me the best two rules out there: Do not assume everyone is paying attention to you. And do not assume you have paid full attention either.

Get off the high and mighty. Nobody's perfect. I was just saying you can't generalize, because there are real world results that disprove that type of thing, and yes, indeed, my siblings and I managed to get out of 16 without a scratch.

17, on the other hand...

/Sounds like someone had a case of the Mondays.
Old 3/9/10, 08:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BoogieNights
You don't even make sense. Almost 17 is still 16. Anyone can be involved in an accident, at fault or not. What I am saying is that's it's irresponsible for his parents to give a 16 y/o a car like that. It's a proven medical fact that the human brain's logic and reasoning capabilities don't reach their peak until a person is in their mid-20's on average. So a 16 y/o with 426 hp underfoot and a cell phone in his hand is a recipe for disaster. Believe me I hope I'm wrong. I drive for a living and all you have to do is travel the highways of America and start counting the crosses on the roadside, especially on straight stretches of highway. A lot of people are getting killed just driving down the road in regular cars, let alone ones with the capabilities of a Camaro SS. And to not just offend young people. I see plenty of older people that have no business driving a high performance car either. So go ahead flame away!!!
Old 3/9/10, 08:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by houtex
I would also add... dude, seriously, that wasn't called for. I only added 'And get off my lawn' as a joke, c'mon, man lighten up.

To make it right in your circumstance... I had a 1978 Mustang II, and yes, I didn't touch anything but air. When it broke for the *last time*, I got a 1966 Ford Thunderbird. That was tboned by an OLDER person, in their thirtys, and if it had been anything other than my tank, I woulda been in the hospital. But that was when I was 17 or so.

I then had yet another Tbird while that one was getting fixed, and that one I was in rush hour traffic, looked over my left shoulder to verify blind spot area looked back, *blam*, right into a station wagon. Which didn't suffer any damage, but that Tbird we fixed before mine.

Those two wrecks taught me the best two rules out there: Do not assume everyone is paying attention to you. And do not assume you have paid full attention either.

Get off the high and mighty. Nobody's perfect. I was just saying you can't generalize, because there are real world results that disprove that type of thing, and yes, indeed, my siblings and I managed to get out of 16 without a scratch.

17, on the other hand...

/Sounds like someone had a case of the Mondays.
Sorry dude, a few cold beers and I was a little too specific. I should have said most every 16-18 y/o and you proved my point. And, I'm not trying to be high and mighty. I've been 16 and 17 and 18 and now I'm a parent of a 15,20 and 25 y/o. I crashed a car two weeks before my 17th and MOST everyone I knew growing up had some kind of fender bender. My point is you can increase or decrease your crash risk by the type of car you drive. (Ask your insurance person) The car I crashed was a '68 SS Camaro w/4-spd. Doing donuts on a dead end street,ftl. Wouldn't have happened in my mom's '67 Stationwagon.

Last edited by goldhillstang; 3/9/10 at 08:19 AM.
Old 3/9/10, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Almost every guy in my high school totaled a car before graduation, 3 died in the process. 16 with this car? Insane idea...
Old 3/9/10, 05:15 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
I'd say the bad things happen from inexpierience and testosterone
Truth be spoken here.
Old 3/9/10, 09:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
And not just with cars, I'd imagine...
Old 3/10/10, 04:46 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Hope he does not regret that decision...
Old 3/10/10, 04:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure to come back here and post the link when he totals it racing.

Don't care how responsible he is, he's is 16. <--period

Last edited by fdjizm; 3/10/10 at 04:53 AM.
Old 3/10/10, 05:24 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
Good thing it isn't a 426hp Toyota...
Old 3/10/10, 10:09 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
Good thing it isn't a 426hp Toyota...
Yeah, 'cuz with a broken trans input shaft, at least you know the Camaro won't be accelerating out of control during a hard launch.
Anyway, lucky kid. Hope he doesn't wreck it or do some "typically dumb teen" crap behind the wheel. Better appreciate how good he got it.
Old 3/15/10, 08:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by fdjizm

Don't care how responsible he is, he's is 16. <--period
That's just too much hp for a kid to handle. And I totaled my first car too A pretty nice 77 Volvo 242. I was older than 16 through.
Old 3/19/10, 01:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Not me for a couple of reasons. One I'm not buying my kids a brand new vehicle, payed it off in full I don't care what my financial situation. Two first cars don't usually last very long. And three no way in hell my kids will touch something with alot of power till they are old enough to respect it and/or buy their own. Matter of fact my 9 year old said something the other day about when will they get to drive the GTO. I laughed and told him when he's 30.
Old 3/19/10, 11:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

For the record, I've never had a fender bender or accident of any kind. Ever. At least, not with me driving. I did slide into a ditch once in my late teens on a rock road corner, but that didn't involve any other cars, and there was no damage. I guess you could count that if you want. But, should I have been given a Camaro SS? No. If I had, who knows, I may have gotten into an accident. My first car was a 4-cyl Mustang and I used it for many years.

On a related note, I used Millers First Insurance a number of years ago, and despite my flawless driving record, they canceled my insurance. There stated reason was unemployment. Didn't matter that I had cash to pay them. I was at the time unemployed so they canceled my insurance. I've never lost my hate for them over this kick me while I'm down move. I like to bad mouth them whenever I get an opportunity to.

Last edited by Skotty; 3/19/10 at 11:55 AM.
Old 3/19/10, 01:22 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Skotty
On a related note, I used Millers First Insurance a number of years ago, and despite my flawless driving record, they canceled my insurance. There stated reason was unemployment. Didn't matter that I had cash to pay them. I was at the time unemployed so they canceled my insurance. I've never lost my hate for them over this kick me while I'm down move. I like to bad mouth them whenever I get an opportunity to.
Never heard of them. But that just sucks. F them.
Old 3/21/10, 08:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
That does not sound humane you paid for insurance and that's the end unroll perhaps a mishap or renewal why is it any of their beeswax what anyone does