The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Canada (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f646/)
-   -   Winter Driving (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f646/winter-driving-526300/)

YellowThunder01 11/10/13 05:21 PM

Winter Driving

Is it a bad idea to drive an undercoated Mustang when the snow falls? Winter tires? Suggestions?

Glenn 11/11/13 06:29 AM

No it is perfectly fine to drive these puppies in the winter. They are built much better than they use to be in the old days. I use a good all season winter tire but a great winter tire choice is the blizzak. Hankook, firestone and Good year also make a pretty good winter tire.

YellowThunder01 11/11/13 09:23 AM

Thanks for the input, yeah I'll definitely have to get some put on soon

Azure 11/11/13 09:35 AM

How do typical summer tires do in the winter? Tires like BF Goodrich G-force Sport Comp 2's. I have another set of wheels with all season tires, but they are very worn. Is it basically just snow that summer tires have problems with?

Glenn 11/11/13 09:40 AM

they do not like low temps and tend to slide easier

Azure 11/11/13 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 6713001)
they do not like low temps and tend to slide easier

^Thanks. I looked at Blizzacks this past weekend. Oh dang! I'm not ready for that expense yet.

Glenn 11/11/13 11:13 AM

I would go with an all season before I paid the extra cash for the blizzaks. Check the for sale section here I have seen several sets for sale there.

Boomer 11/13/13 01:35 PM

Depends on where you live and how much snow you get.

IE: Southern Ontario gets little snow compared to Northern.
You might be able to get away with all-seasons in some area's... but in others, no way I wouldn't drive without winters. There is no comparison

Azure 11/13/13 02:04 PM

We don't get much snow. How about ice? Are the winter tires that much better on icy roads?

Bob554234 4/5/14 09:43 AM

I've found winter tires were needed for our Rav4 for some reason the all seasons were shocking in the snow.

I'll be putting a full set of winters with steels on the Mustang this winter. It is around $1200 but saves the alloys and summer tires.

VGMStudios 4/5/14 03:44 PM

just buy from tirerack.com good prices!
and its STILL cheaper getting it from the US and paying customs on them then buying them here.

Glenn 4/6/14 06:30 AM

not all all season tires are created equal. There are some very good ones out there and then of course some really bad ones.

JoeMidnight 4/28/14 09:33 AM

this is my first rear wheel car. I live in Ontario (1 hour outside of Toronto)

we got hit with A LOT of snow this past winter. If I were you, bite the bullet and get snow tires. better safe than sorry! I plan on buying snow tires for sure. My neighbor has snows on his winter driven mustang and swears by them. its the only way.

Fintile 5/19/14 08:18 PM

What about for year round use? Do the winter tires last?