Canada Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Predator + C&L Coming Soon

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/05, 07:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone. Ordered the C&L CAI with their Predator Tuner last week, should be here in a week or so. Any of you guys in the Horseshoe/GTA area with similar installs already?? If so, any tips/suggestions - or maybe even warnings you have would be appreciated. I'm tired of reading the hundreds of posts in the main GT Tech forums - they all contradict each other at some point or another.

Let me know if you get a minute.

Thanks - and hope to see some people soon, it's about time for a GTA area meet isn't it???

Mark.

Friday 13 May - Installed a G-Tech, wanted one all my life, finally gave in. Calibrated it twice (using 6200 as rpm limit and 3700 lbs veh weight). Then did ten (10) 0-60 runs with the best time being 5.24 seconds and the others ranging from 5.25 to 5.31 seconds. Didn't do any 1/4 mile runs, they don't really mean much to me (but should have done a couple). Then installed the C&L + Predator C&L Version 91 Octane Tune. Then it rained - for 2 bloody days. The install was really easy, great quality on the C&L stuff.

Sunday 15 May - the sun came out so off to the strip (OK, not an official strip, a nice country mile or two). Did ten (10) more 0-60 runs, the best being 5.14 seconds. The rest were 5.15 to 5.18 seconds. Very consistant, showed a .1 second gain in the 0-60 times. Didn't think much of it but my neighbor, a race fanatic, says that 1/10th of a second is a lifetime in competition terms. Whatever. You CAN feel the difference however, especially in the mid-top end. Very, very strong and with my auto, it's appreciated.

Sunday afternoon I broke down and decided to do a couple of 1/4 mile runs. Now that I was learning what worked/didn't work at launch, the times improved a bit (and maybe the computer is "learning" it's new found power increase 'cause things got better).

1st 0-60 was 5.26, 1/4 mile was 13.79 @ 101.4 mph - a crappy start & knew it.
2nd 0-60 was 5.03, 1/4 mile was 13.48 @ 105 mph - I think proud of that one.
3rd 0-60 was 4.94, 1/4 mile was 13.26 @ 105.9 mph - best of the day.

And you know what - I'm not sure if these are good numbers or just so so. I know about 0-60 and I'm happy - especially having an auto. But if anyone know's quarters and can let me know good, bad or indifferent, let me know. I'm only using a G-Tech but the reviews on it in Car/Driver this month were really good, saying it was only off by "hundredths" compared to C/D's regular track timer.

When I run the tank dry I'll try the 93 tune but so far the 91 seems to work just fine. An FYI for anyone looking.

Mark
Old 4/25/05, 09:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Original Sin@April 25, 2005, 9:52 PM
Hey everyone. Ordered the C&L CAI with their Predator Tuner last week, should be here in a week or so. Any of you guys in the Horseshoe/GTA area with similar installs already?? If so, any tips/suggestions - or maybe even warnings you have would be appreciated. I'm tired of reading the hundreds of posts in the main GT Tech forums - they all contradict each other at some point or another.

Let me know if you get a minute.

Thanks - and hope to see some people soon, it's about time for a GTA area meet isn't it???

Mark.
Hi Mark,

I've never modded a car except putting a drop-in K&N in my Taurus (which doesn't really count).. HEHE... Can I ask where you got the Kit from? And how much? Was it from a US retailer or Canada?

I've read some great things about the Predator, being able to get rid of throttle hang etc.. Let us know!

Thanks,
Old 4/25/05, 10:02 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Sorry, can't help either but would be up for a meet eventually.

My car's engine isn't being touched. Exhaust and tires/rims and that's it. Can't void that stress-free extended warranty I bought (or wasted money on depending on what value you place on stress-free repairs )
Old 4/26/05, 04:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hi guys. The stuff will be from the U.S. (ya pay now or ya pay later, doesn't matter where the stuff comes from unless you sneak across and have it done there, but this stuff I'll be doing myself).

Dan, I was worried about doing stuff to the engine also but I've had a similar setup in my former 03 F150 and no problems, can return it to stock any time ( a little tougher now with the very touchy motor in ours returnable nonetheless.

So we'll see if all the hype is legit. I'm sure they'll be some gains and hopefully (as there was in my truck) a little bit on the mpg side as well.

Let you know, Mark.
Old 4/26/05, 07:37 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Original Sin@April 26, 2005, 6:57 AM
Hi guys. The stuff will be from the U.S. (ya pay now or ya pay later, doesn't matter where the stuff comes from unless you sneak across and have it done there, but this stuff I'll be doing myself).

Dan, I was worried about doing stuff to the engine also but I've had a similar setup in my former 03 F150 and no problems, can return it to stock any time ( a little tougher now with the very touchy motor in ours returnable nonetheless.

So we'll see if all the hype is legit. I'm sure they'll be some gains and hopefully (as there was in my truck) a little bit on the mpg side as well.

Let you know, Mark.
I'm sure you'll feel it Mark. 15-20 hp is probably a good estimate.

Now, not to make you second guess yourself or anything, but I've always wondered about what would happen if you got into an accident with your computer flashed..... I'm not sure the insurance wouldn't void your coverage??

I mean, we just read a post about altering your "center of gravity" and how it will void State Farm's policy....wow.
Old 4/26/05, 09:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Dan, the point the guy made after you in the "blackbox" post was fairly accurate. The blackboxes (from my professional perspective) are only accessed after a fatality by the police. Insurance companies can only access the information by owner agreement or after they've "bought the car out" if it's a write-off - fatality or not. And if, for some strange reason, Ford would like to know about a particular accident you've had, they too can access the info provided that the owner (if he/she still owns it) provides their consent.

I honestly don't know the answer to whether or not a professionally tuned motor, extracting optimum power from the generic factory tune, will void warranty. 15 to 20 or 30 extra hp is nothing. A hundred or so, by way of supercharging, nitrous, etc would be a different story. My experience with Meadowvale Ford (with the truck intake/tuner) was "No, it won't". They told me that the only modifications that would void my warranty included headers, cams, superchargers - all the heavy duty stuff. But....we'll see.
Old 4/29/05, 09:03 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Original Sin@April 26, 2005, 6:57 AM

Let you know, Mark.
Did you get a chance to start the install? Or will you be doing this during the weekend? I was reading up on the Predator unit, and it can act as a ODBII scanner to read the computer for problems. Which is cool.

Where did you order it from?

Even if it doesn't add the 25HP that it claims the sound I'm sure will be WELL worth it! Even a simple K&N on my brothers contour made a HUGE difference!

Ben
Old 4/30/05, 10:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

No, not here yet Ben. I ordered directly from C&L to ensure that I had the C&L- specific Predator tuner, less potential for problems this way.

The next few weeks will be interesting. I've ordered a few Steeda suspension pieces (for lowering) and the solid black rockers from a V6 to "lengthen" the look, did this even before the GT500 photos came out (which proves my point that the car looked a little "fat" with our colored GT rockers). Not a big thing, just something a little different.

Mark.
Old 5/1/05, 10:38 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Original Sin@April 26, 2005, 12:01 PM
I honestly don't know the answer to whether or not a professionally tuned motor, extracting optimum power from the generic factory tune, will void warranty. 15 to 20 or 30 extra hp is nothing. A hundred or so, by way of supercharging, nitrous, etc would be a different story. My experience with Meadowvale Ford (with the truck intake/tuner) was "No, it won't". They told me that the only modifications that would void my warranty included headers, cams, superchargers - all the heavy duty stuff. But....we'll see.
Every dealer is different. I know of one dealer that's okay with lowering and full exhaust but absolutely no engine work. Most aren't okay with either of those. These guys said no engine because they technically are lying to Ford if they claim something engine-related under warranty. Ford warrants the stock engine, not the modified one. Many dealers won't take that risk for you. This is what I was told.

Now, if you are really close with your dealer and they are okay with it, you're lucky.
Old 5/5/05, 11:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fortuneatley, my dealer is doing the full exhaust (long tubes) and ordering the wheels for me. Plus the owner has already had his car done so I wont be a guinea pig.
Old 5/5/05, 01:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by friedmaster@May 5, 2005, 11:52 AM
fortuneatley, my dealer is doing the full exhaust (long tubes) and ordering the wheels for me. Plus the owner has already had his car done so I wont be a guinea pig.
Who's your dealer Jason?
Old 5/5/05, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Al Palladinis, I have a connection though so that may be why I they are.
Old 5/5/05, 05:25 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by friedmaster@May 5, 2005, 6:30 PM
Al Palladinis, I have a connection though so that may be why I they are.
You're not the guy who paid $13,000 to have his car customized are you?

Franco's car with the rims and full Borla exhaust + stripes etc. cost $13,000 to do up. I was talking with them two weeks ago.

They said all mods on Franco's car are okay under warranty including the drop, but I think any other dealer might not warranty some of that stuff.

What rims are you getting?
Old 5/5/05, 07:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I havent bought anything yet, but it may come close to that when done, weld racing 19" BC 9 wheels, Bridgestone Pole Position S-03 tires, and the same full exhaust on his car.

Im figuring it will problably be close to 10 when im done.

I would also bet that no other dealer would cover the mods, but if i remember correctly, one of his mechanics did it, and they have the advantage of being the ones to evaluate if any mods are done before making ford pay for it.
Old 5/5/05, 09:18 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by friedmaster@May 5, 2005, 9:28 PM
I havent bought anything yet, but it may come close to that when done, weld racing 19" BC 9 wheels, Bridgestone Pole Position S-03 tires, and the same full exhaust on his car.

I would also bet that no other dealer would cover the mods, but if i remember correctly, one of his mechanics did it, and they have the advantage of being the ones to evaluate if any mods are done before making ford pay for it.
Cool. That's a lot of change though. You live in Woodbridge right?
Old 5/5/05, 09:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Dan+May 5, 2005, 9:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan @ May 5, 2005, 9:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-friedmaster@May 5, 2005, 9:28 PM

Cool. That's a lot of change though. You live in Woodbridge right?
[/b][/quote]

No, im not going to say where because this a public message board, but I will just say that the dealership is about a 25 minute drive with little traffic.
Old 5/6/05, 08:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

All i have to say about Al Palladinis is that ever since the old man left that place to his kid, it has gone to Shiet. They are all liars and scammers. Franco this Franco that. Who the heck cares. Franco should hire himself a whole new sales team. Funny how they said that they can get me anything i wanted. It took Whiteoak to make me the first vert owner in woodbridge. Did i say Woodbridge? Make that Canada!!!

Dano can vouch for that.

Your ride sounds awsome Jason!!!
Any pics?
Old 5/6/05, 11:48 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by legend05@May 6, 2005, 11:02 AM
All i have to say about Al Palladinis is that ever since the old man left that place to his kid, it has gone to Shiet. They are all liars and scammers. Franco this Franco that. Who the heck cares. Franco should hire himself a whole new sales team. Funny how they said that they can get me anything i wanted. It took Whiteoak to make me the first vert owner in woodbridge. Did i say Woodbridge? Make that Canada!!!
Let's just say I'll bite my tongue on that subject.
Old 5/6/05, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by legend05@May 6, 2005, 9:02 AM

Dano can vouch for that.

Any pics?
Nothing is done yet, the wheels are on order.
Old 5/6/05, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by legend05@May 6, 2005, 9:02 AM

Dano can vouch for that.

Any pics?
Nothing is done yet, the wheels are on order.

Quick Reply: Predator + C&L Coming Soon