2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

X-pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/21, 12:01 PM
GT Member

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
X-pipe question

I bought and installed a off road x-pipe for my 06 mustang gt and I was wanting to know if at a later time if I wanted could I buy high flow cats and install them on my x-pipe or do I need to buy a x-pipe with cats already on it... this is the x-pipe I bought... can you add cats to these or just get a new one with cats
Old 7/8/21, 12:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
I'm pretty sure you would need a new mid-pipe (X or H) to go with the cats; because the existing pipe is too long; the cats would occupy the first 10" or however long they are; pretty sure they fill the bent portion just downstream of the flange. Our you could have someone cut the pipes at the right place and reweld the flange in the right location to fit the cats; but it might need to be a different flange to mate up properly to the downstream end of the cats.

hope that kinda makes sense at least a little!

Last edited by Bert; 7/9/21 at 06:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jaryd21 (7/9/21)
Old 7/8/21, 03:33 PM
GT Member

Yeah that makes plenty of sense....I was thinking the same thing about cutting them but it would probably be easier to just get a new mid pipe... the reason I'm asking about getting high flow cats is for inspection.... here in NC you have to have cats to pass inspection and with just a off road x-pipe you can't pass unless you find someone who will do it for you and I ain't found anyone yet.... and I really don't want to have to put my old h-pipe back on everytime I need to get a inspection... that's alot of work.... lol
The following 2 users liked this post by Caseydilbeck78:
Jaryd21 (7/9/21), tbear853 (7/14/21)
Old 7/9/21, 01:45 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
FYI: High-flow cats won't pass OBDII emissions scan and may also fail visual inspection, if the inspector chooses to do so!
Old 7/9/21, 02:31 PM
GT Member

Really... then what's the point in them lol
Old 7/9/21, 03:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,060 Posts
I think there might be more to that story, "it's complicated" LOL . . .

My understanding: the O2 sensor must be showing "ready" (and there is more than one "register" for this, or whatever they are called) and the readings must be showing that the cats are working correctly. I gather that sometimes that can be achieved with the aftermarket high-flow cats, and sometimes not. I think it has to do with whether you have completed the mysterious "drive cycle" ; and whether the cats are good and hot at the time of the test; and the effectiveness of the high flow cats. And of course the rear O2 sensors cannot be turned off in the tune. I have been told that the Kooks "green cats" are probably about the best for meeting these requirements, but even they are iffy.

And also for the visual inspection, technically I believe that ANY change to the factory cats (and the entire exhaust system) is not allowed. But if the inspector doesn't know the difference between the factory cats and an aftermarket cat, and they look and see them there, they might pass it. . . . if the sensors show "ready" and all that.

how's that; clear as mud right?
The following 2 users liked this post by Bert:
Caseydilbeck78 (7/9/21), m05fastbackGT (7/9/21)
Old 7/9/21, 04:56 PM
GT Member

I get what your saying... so what does all these people do that runs off road x-pipe or h-pipe ? Do they switch back to the stock pipes with cats every time it's inspection time or is there places that will pass you like mustang shops or am I just screwed lol....I want to keep the sound I have with the x-pipe and flowmaster outlaw axle backs, it's loud but sound good.... can I take my stock pipe with my cats and cut it and add the cut and clamp x-pipe or will I lose my loudness... lol....I just don't want to have to change pipes every year, that's alot of work especially laying on the ground....
Old 7/9/21, 05:03 PM
GT Member

So... even if I get this for my car it still wouldn't pass inspection
Old 7/9/21, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
It depends on who you know. That is almost the same style setup as mine. I have the catted x-pipe and then pypes bomb exhaust and one shop that is literally a block away told me that someone stole my exhaust because there is not muffler lol . So I took it to the guy that I bought the car from because his dad owns a garage that does inspections and he just laughed and then inspected it for me.
the other garage also told me that my 08 V6 muffle was falling apart so I looked at it and it had one rust spot on it and a piece of long grass hanging off of it. Learned my lesson not to take anything there again.

Last edited by Jaryd21; 7/9/21 at 07:38 PM.
Old 7/9/21, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bert
I think there might be more to that story, "it's complicated" LOL . . .

My understanding: the O2 sensor must be showing "ready" (and there is more than one "register" for this, or whatever they are called) and the readings must be showing that the cats are working correctly. I gather that sometimes that can be achieved with the aftermarket high-flow cats, and sometimes not. I think it has to do with whether you have completed the mysterious "drive cycle" ; and whether the cats are good and hot at the time of the test; and the effectiveness of the high flow cats. And of course the rear O2 sensors cannot be turned off in the tune. I have been told that the Kooks "green cats" are probably about the best for meeting these requirements, but even they are iffy.

And also for the visual inspection, technically I believe that ANY change to the factory cats (and the entire exhaust system) is not allowed. But if the inspector doesn't know the difference between the factory cats and an aftermarket cat, and they look and see them there, they might pass it. . . . if the sensors show "ready" and all that.

how's that; clear as mud right?
Your exactly 100% spot on!

Originally Posted by Caseydilbeck78
I get what your saying... so what does all these people do that runs off road x-pipe or h-pipe ? Do they switch back to the stock pipes with cats every time it's inspection time or is there places that will pass you like mustang shops or am I just screwed lol....I want to keep the sound I have with the x-pipe and flowmaster outlaw axle backs, it's loud but sound good.... can I take my stock pipe with my cats and cut it and add the cut and clamp x-pipe or will I lose my loudness... lol....I just don't want to have to change pipes every year, that's alot of work especially laying on the ground....
So... even if I get this for my car it still wouldn't pass inspection
Once again! it all depends on the inspection station and the inspector..

Originally Posted by Jaryd21
It depends on who you know. That is almost the same style setup as mine. I have the catted x-pipe and then pypes bomb exhaust and one shop that is literally a block away told me that someone stole my exhaust because there is not muffler lol . So I took it to the guy that I bought the car from because his dad owns a garage that does inspections and he just laughed and then inspected it for me.
the other garage also told me that my 08 V6 muffle was falling apart so I looked at it and it had one rust spot on it and a piece of long grass hanging off of it. Learned my lesson not to take anything there again.
Exactly the reason I decided to keep my OEM catted mid-pipe in place!
Old 7/10/21, 02:45 PM
GT Member

Yeah I still have my catted mid pipe...I guess when the time comes and I can't find anyone who will pass the inspection for me I'll put my cats back on and maybe get one them x-pipes that uses your factory cats, one of those cut and clamp deals...cause that's just to much to have to keep changing those out everytime I need a inspection.... but I'm going to call my cousin he works at Sam's car wash and auto and he does inspections there but I think he can only cheat on the inspections that don't require the obd Il , he can't cheat on older cars but not newer ones.... he passed my old 91 Honda accord and it didn't have cats or a muffler and some other stuff didn't work right but he passed me with flying colors... lol... I'll just see what I can find out and if not I'll just change back to my factory mid pipes and sell my x-pipe or trade it for something else I can use for my car.....
Old 7/11/21, 01:02 PM

If your cousin can cheat on inspections that don't require OBDII emissions scan? then problem solved.. If he passed your old 91 Honda Accord with no mufflers and no cats? then just have your cousin inspect your Mustang.. In my situation, I had the Pypes cut "n" clamp X-pipe spliced onto my stock catted mid-pipe.. Haven't looked back since..

Pypes cut "n" clamp x-pipe, available from American Muscle.com
Old 7/11/21, 03:38 PM
GT Member

My mustang has to be plugged into the obd ll my Honda didn't
Old 7/11/21, 04:35 PM
GT Member

Does the cut and clamp x-pipe sound like a regular off road x-pipe? I know they will be some difference in the sound but how much?....I been thinking about doing that and being done with it... yeah my 06 mustang gt has to be plugged into the obd ll so he can't cheat on that one I don't think... maybe he knows something to do though...
Old 7/13/21, 12:52 PM

My mustang has to be plugged into the obd ll my Honda didn't
My fault, I misinterpreted your wording from the previous post. Therefore, if your cousin is unable to cheat on inspections which have OBDII? then it appears your only other option is to go with the same cut "n" clamp X-pipe option as I did..

Does the cut and clamp x-pipe sound like a regular off road x-pipe? I know they will be some difference in the sound but how much?....I been thinking about doing that and being done with it... yeah my 06 mustang gt has to be plugged into the obd ll so he can't cheat on that one I don't think... maybe he knows something to do though...
Of course it's not going to sound like an off-road x-pipe.. When running cats, the sound level is always going to be less aggressive vs running off-road.. So if your expecting an x-pipe to sound just as loud as an off-road with the factory cats in place? then I'm sorry to say your more than likely going to be disappointed.. However, it also depends on the type of axle back muffler your running as well.. Lets say that your running something like a muffler delete setup for example. Even with the stock cats in place, the sound level of the exhaust is going to be significantly louder due to eliminating the axle back mufflers.

Therefore, for your particular application, I would strongly recommend looking into the Roush Extreme Catback Exhaust system which is a muffler delete system that replaces the axle-back mufflers with 2 high-flow resonators placed in front of the rear axle.. If interested? I've went ahead an attached both a photo and links for the Roush muffler delete kit..

https://lmr.com/item/RSH-403936/2005...ce-Exhaust-Kit

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...tang/year/2006

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/14/21 at 11:30 AM.
Jaryd21 (7/13/21)
Old 7/13/21, 06:31 PM
GT Member

Yeah I have the flowmaster outlaw axle backs they are muffler deletes... these are them and they are pretty loud ....
The following 2 users liked this post by Caseydilbeck78:
Jaryd21 (7/13/21), m05fastbackGT (7/13/21)
Old 7/13/21, 10:19 PM

My bad! Forgot that you have Flowmaster outlaw axle back deletes.. Therefore, I honestly don't know for certain if splicing in the Pypes cut "n" clamp X-pipe to your stock cats will provide a noticeable increase in sound over the stock H-pipe or not? All I can say for certain is my exhaust is loud enough for my liking with the Borla ATAK axle back mufflers paired together with the Pypes cut "n" clamp X-pipe and stock cats
Old 7/14/21, 06:51 AM
GT Member

Yeah I thinki I'll give that a try... cause the off road x-pipe is kinda too loud I thinki... thinki I'll put my cats back on with the cut and clamp x-pipe and see how I like that..... plus I don't want to have to mess with it everytime I need a inspection...
Old 7/14/21, 11:28 AM

In my honest opinion, I think pairing the cut and clamp x-pipe with your stock cats and Flowmaster Outlaws is your best option
tbear853 (7/14/21)
Old 7/14/21, 12:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Yeah I thinki I'll give that a try... cause the off road x-pipe is kinda too loud I thinki... thinki I'll put my cats back on with the cut and clamp x-pipe and see how I like that..... plus I don't want to have to mess with it everytime I need a inspection...
I think you have answered your question when you first wrote "off road x-pipe". It is a pretty x-pipe though.
Yeah I still have my catted mid pipe...I guess when the time comes and I can't find anyone who will pass the inspection for me I'll put my cats back on and maybe get one them x-pipes that uses your factory cats, one of those cut and clamp deals...cause that's just to much to have to keep changing those out everytime I need a inspection.... but I'm going to call my cousin he works at Sam's car wash and auto and he does inspections there but I think he can only cheat on the inspections that don't require the obd Il , he can't cheat on older cars but not newer ones.... he passed my old 91 Honda accord and it didn't have cats or a muffler and some other stuff didn't work right but he passed me with flying colors... lol... I'll just see what I can find out and if not I'll just change back to my factory mid pipes and sell my x-pipe or trade it for something else I can use for my car.....
If in Virginia, a Mustang loving young trooper would maybe see this thread, do a quick search, and then simply contact a buddy in the area, and a "ringer" car would be run through Sam's and if it passed when it shouldn't have ....... well, there likely goes an inspector's license, maybe even the whole station's license?

I don't know about NC.

Last edited by tbear853; 7/14/21 at 01:02 PM.
m05fastbackGT (7/14/21)

Quick Reply: X-pipe question