Who has high miles on thier 05 -09? - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

2005-2009 Mustang S197 Discussion & News

Who has high miles on thier 05 -09?

Old 7/17/13, 03:39 PM   #1
Bullitt Member

Who has high miles on thier 05 -09?

I just turned 91,000 mile on my 05 4.6 . Got a knocking sound in my engine. Took it to the dealership, they told me I had a bad beaing on the cam, have to replace the cam and and all the followers, $ 1100.00 worth of repairs. This is common on high milage , high performance engines , the service rep told me.So who has more than that for mileage on their car, and has anyone else had any engine problems.

Im pretty disappointing, I don't think 91,000 mile is high, I think 191,000 would be high. I mean I plan to keep my Mustang, I still love it , but I thought as long and I changed my oil regularly, I would not have any engine problems. They said my head was clean as can be, no build up. So some how it just didn't get enough lubrication.
runfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Old 7/17/13, 03:45 PM   #2
Bullitt Member

I'm cruising just over 113K miles on my 2006. So far, knock on wood, the powertrain has been flawless. She is in need of a new clutch, which will be coming shortly.
MikuhlBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/17/13, 09:43 PM   #3
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!

97K here. So far, no issues *knocks wood*
houtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/18/13, 05:59 AM   #4
Shelby GT350 Member

I had the wall on a rocker collapse and seize the roller, which in turn wore down the cam. I had been getting small amounts of steel on my magnetic plug, and it turned out to be this. I googled it, and I found a lot of post about the cams on our cars having premature wear. I had Steeda do the work, they put FFRP Hot Rod cams in and replaced pretty much everything else, and it came to about $3300. The cams were $769, and about $700 of it was the dyno tune for the cams and a couple of unrelated things I had done. So that was around $1900 for the rest of the parts and labor for both sides.
05YellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/18/13, 06:27 AM   #5
Bullitt Member

My '07 GT/CS has 97k and is a daily driver in Conecticut with no real issues so far only the alternator went but was covered under warranty - usual stuff, tires, brakes, windshield washer fluid etc so I am happy & love my stang
pilatti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/18/13, 07:12 AM   #6
Cobra R Member

I'm at 111k. Engine still runs and sounds healthy (thankfully!)

I've had the typical S197 issues: multiple batteries, convertible top replaced by TSB, replaced alternator, seat back pull levers breaking, door inserts peeling, seat stitching failing near the side airbag, poor quality carpeting, etc. You can tell Ford built these to a tight price point.

But I enjoy driving every single day, and do not regret getting this Mustang at all. That seems strange, I know. Most folks would abandon a model with a laundry list like that. But I have always driven Mustangs and always enjoyed them.

The old Fox bodies, though - they held up better, especially the interiors. Ford needs to work on that.
Paris MkVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/18/13, 09:00 AM   #7
Bullitt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05YellowGT View Post
I had the wall on a rocker collapse and seize the roller, which in turn wore down the cam. I had been getting small amounts of steel on my magnetic plug, and it turned out to be this. I googled it, and I found a lot of post about the cams on our cars having premature wear. I had Steeda do the work, they put FFRP Hot Rod cams in and replaced pretty much everything else, and it came to about $3300. The cams were $769, and about $700 of it was the dyno tune for the cams and a couple of unrelated things I had done. So that was around $1900 for the rest of the parts and labor for both sides.

How many miles did you have on your car when you had to have that work done???
Old 7/18/13, 10:42 AM   #8
Bullitt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris MkVI View Post

I've had the typical S197 issues: ... convertible top replaced by TSB, ...
What TSB was issued for the convertible top?
Old 7/18/13, 01:09 PM   #9
Shelby GT350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runfox View Post
How many miles did you have on your car when you had to have that work done???
It was last November, I got the car November 04 so it was 8 years old and it had around 95K miles.
05YellowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/18/13, 01:27 PM   #10
GT Member

121k purrin like a kitten
The Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/18/13, 02:32 PM   #11
Cobra R Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikuhlBrian View Post
What TSB was issued for the convertible top?
I think it was for the 2005 and 2006 model years. The mechanism was wearing holes in the vinyl tops at a couple of specific locations.

There's a sticky in the "Warranty and Service Issues" thread for 2005-2009 models that has the TSB's listed, but the links go back to site founder Brad Barnett's URL, so they're broken.

Used to be a list on StangNet too, but that one is also a broken link. Hopefully someone will chime in with a new TSB resource, or fix our old links.
Old 7/19/13, 09:15 AM   #12
Bullitt Member

Quote:
I think it was for the 2005 and 2006 model years. The mechanism was wearing holes in the vinyl tops at a couple of specific locations.

There's a sticky in the "Warranty and Service Issues" thread for 2005-2009 models that has the TSB's listed, but the links go back to site founder Brad Barnett's URL, so they're broken.

Used to be a list on StangNet too, but that one is also a broken link. Hopefully someone will chime in with a new TSB resource, or fix our old links.

Thanks. I just checked it out. My top doesn't display any of those characteristics. Not that they would repair it now since it is so old, but something for me to keep a watch out for.

Here's a quick tip. If you find a link that links to the old BradBarnett URL, all the information is still there, you just need to change the URL. Replace bradbarnett.net/ with themustangsource.com/ and it will load the correct page for you.

For example, change this...

Quote:
bradbarnett.net/mustangs/galaxie/tsb/tsb05_24_06_convertible_concern.pdf
.... to this....

Quote:
themustangsource.com/mustangs/galaxie/tsb/tsb05_24_06_convertible_concern.pdf
Old 7/19/13, 02:10 PM   #13
Bullitt Member

Thanks for that tip Brian....
Old 7/19/13, 02:19 PM   #14
Bullitt Member

When I sold my 2006 Pony convertible (4.0 V6) in June 2012 it had 203,000 miles on it. Xcharger was on it from 90,000 miles on the odometer. It ran mid 12's the week before I sold it. The new owner says it still runs strong and with 212,000 on it took it on a week's vacation touring the bourbon trail in Kentucky.

Very few problems with it. Replaced alternator at 178,000 - thermostat housing at 199,800. Pretty much regular maintenance issues otherwise
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/21/13, 01:42 AM   #15
Bullitt Member

Well got 'Cherry" back from the Dealer today, and she runs great, $1158.00 , a new cam, new followers, guess they dont call them rocker arms now. Parts was the most of the bill, $1k of it, the rest was labor. Going forward they suggeseted oil change at 3000 miles for the 4.6 3 valve high performance engines, I was doing oil and tire rotation every 5000 miles.
I dont know if it was just me or the car, been driving my wifes 03 Mazda Tribute with a v6 170,000 miles on it, it runs ok, but obviously not as responsive or fun as my Mustang, when I got my Mustang back, it felt like a race car, so fast, responsive, and fun, must have chirped the tires more than once from a red light , not really on porpose. I still enjoy driving it and will keep it for the long haul. There are a lot of nice cars or trucks I could drive, but nothing as fun or exciting.
Old 7/21/13, 11:15 AM   #16
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!

Quote:
...must have chirped the tires more than once from a red light , not really on porpose...
Well, your dolphin was in the shop...

/and it's 'porpoise'.
//And the inspiration for my strange brain...
houtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/21/13, 01:30 PM   #17
Post *****

Quote:
I just turned 91,000 mile on my 05 4.6 . Got a knocking sound in my engine. Took it to the dealership, they told me I had a bad beaing on the cam, have to replace the cam and and all the followers, $ 1100.00 worth of repairs. This is common on high milage , high performance engines , the service rep told me.So who has more than that for mileage on their car, and has anyone else had any engine problems.

Im pretty disappointing, I don't think 91,000 mile is high, I think 191,000 would be high. I mean I plan to keep my Mustang, I still love it , but I thought as long and I changed my oil regularly, I would not have any engine problems. They said my head was clean as can be, no build up. So some how it just didn't get enough lubrication.
Actually, the 4.6L3V doesn't have cam bearings (which seems absurd to me). The journals ride directly on the head casting. While the caps are called 'bearing caps', there is no bearing like on the crank. I've read this before but just confirmed in my manual (thanx for an excuse to become more familiar with it lol).

So perhaps a roller follower failed and caused the problem like Steve posted?

I agree 91k isn't high mileage. And I don't think 3k oil changes vs 5k oil changes with the spec Motorcraft Synth Blend is the issue either.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/21/13 at 01:32 PM.
cdynaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/24/13, 07:15 PM   #18

My '09 GT/CS is a daily driver and has 98,000 miles on it. Thankfully, very limited repairs. Still has original front pads and rotors. I change the oil and filter every 3000 miles.

I would have to say this has been an excellent car!

Kevin
kevinr1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/24/13, 10:31 PM   #19

Quote:

I've had the typical S197 issues: multiple batteries, convertible top replaced by TSB, replaced alternator, seat back pull levers breaking, door inserts peeling, seat stitching failing near the side airbag, poor quality carpeting, etc. You can tell Ford built these to a tight price point.

But I enjoy driving every single day, and do not regret getting this Mustang at all. That seems strange, I know. Most folks would abandon a model with a laundry list like that. But I have always driven Mustangs and always enjoyed them.

The old Fox bodies, though - they held up better, especially the interiors. Ford needs to work on that.
My dad had the same issues on his 2006 gt. Especially the interior trim. Now there's a new issue of when he gives the car half to full throttle, it almost stalls, then accelerates. But I agree with you. These are still fun cars despite some interior issues. Oh but don't get me started on the battery issues... Lol. His gt is at 94,000 miles.
DERRY90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/25/13, 02:49 PM   #20
Cobra R Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DERRY90 View Post
Now there's a new issue of when he gives the car half to full throttle, it almost stalls, then accelerates. His gt is at 94,000 miles.
If the throttle body hasn't been cleaned yet, it is time. Makes a big difference. Probably time to do the spark plugs too if they're original.