2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

When turning off the Traction Control...

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/05, 08:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know about some of you guys out there, but as some of you may know...I am a big fan of the burnout. Let me tell you....the 05 GT is somewhat of a disappointment to me. With the Traction control off it seems like there is still some underlying systems still controlling the cars power and braking. With 300 hp and 320 ftlbs of torque at your mercy, that should be plenty of juice to smoke em through 2nd gear easy. That isnt the case for me though. If I am at a complete stop and rev it up and dump the clutch, it will do fairly good in 1st and chirp them in 2nd. When I want to do a brake stand after dumping the clutch, it will actually push the front tires while they are locked and it wheel hops like crazy. It seems to me like there is something limiting the full potential of all 300 horses from getting outback. I mean dont get me wrong, this car hooks up and goes like a rocket....but when you want to give a little smoke show to the crowd it leaves them wondering. My ranger can do a better burnout. Do any of you guys know if there are any hidden secrets that Ford is hiding to limit the burnouts? I remember everyone talking about the Torque Management system and how it is a myth.....but for me, there is definitely something limiting the power once the wheels break loose with the traction control off. Is any tuning or anything I can do to make this stop? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Old 2/11/05, 08:09 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah its called the 'stopage of abuse thingy'
Will allow you to squawk, and do short burns, but no full out burnouts.
Ford has built in a lot of safety features to shorten the abuse on the car.
(Personally I don't blame them..it will cut down on the bogus warranty stuff)

Search on it, I think there were some threads about it already.

And while it sucks that its there for someone who wants to waste a set of tires in a span of 40 seconds....A tune will get rid of that 'feature'

Its not like your STUCK with it, you can get rid of it.
Old 2/11/05, 08:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Boomer@February 11, 2005, 9:12 AM
Yeah its called the 'stopage of abuse thingy'

Search on it, I think there were some threads about it already.

A tune will get rid of that 'feature'

So something does exist? I knew it! There is no way a 300 HP car would seem that doggy. So what tune do I go with? I am not too familiar with all of the tunes available.
Old 2/11/05, 08:14 AM
I Have No Life

Not sure...i just know what I read.

Hopefully someone else can chime in.
Old 2/11/05, 08:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah guys and gals....chime in! Surely I am not the only one out there with this concern!!
Old 2/11/05, 08:23 AM
Bullitt Member

I know someone on here mentioned something about a torque management system? Maybe this is what is holding you back. I am pretty sure a tune would take care of that

Start modding
Old 2/11/05, 08:50 AM

I've been going to the track atleast once a week for the last 2 months. I've been lighting it up, but not a standing burn out. I was too nervous to try in front of 300 people. So, last Wednesday night, I decided to give it a whirl. No problem! Put it this way...It was more difficult getting the rubber off the body just behind the rear tire (meaning it was not hard to do). I didn't shift into second due to having a 5 spd. I really don't care to try to get it into second. I guess some people dump the clutch and stand on the brake with their left foot. I, on the other hand, hold the brake with my right foot as well as the gas. I still have stock tires, so there really isn't much need to get into 2nd to heat the tires as you would drag tires.
Old 2/11/05, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by holeshot@February 11, 2005, 10:05 AM
If I am at a complete stop and rev it up and dump the clutch, it will do fairly good in 1st and chirp them in 2nd.
Mine blistered the tires in going into second and chirped them going into 3rd. That was before I got my 4.10 gears.

I'm pretty happy with the traction. I guess if you don't like traction you can: a) drive in the rain, b) drive in the snow, or c) put some skinny little tires on the back. :)
Old 2/11/05, 08:56 AM
I Have No Life

Dave: Was this pre-tune?
I notice you have the SCT XCal.tune which could have eliminated that function and allowed you to do a standing burnout....
Old 2/11/05, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by joeuser42+February 11, 2005, 9:55 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joeuser42 @ February 11, 2005, 9:55 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-holeshot@February 11, 2005, 10:05 AM
If I am at a complete stop and rev it up and dump the clutch, it will do fairly good in 1st and chirp them in 2nd.
Mine blistered the tires in going into second and chirped them going into 3rd. That was before I got my 4.10 gears.

I'm pretty happy with the traction. I guess if you don't like traction you can: a) drive in the rain, B) drive in the snow, or c) put some skinny little tires on the back.
[/b][/quote]

thats what i was saying....with 300 hp you should easily be able tp anihilate the tires...but mine is rather doggy. my 4.0 ranger does about a similar burnout to my mustang now. i need to get it checked out.....something definitely is holding back all of those ponies!
Old 2/11/05, 09:55 AM
Cobra Member

Hey Hotshot,
When you go to sell, I'd hate to be the person buying the car from you. Can't imaging how big of a piece of !#@! it will be. The car is made for a little abuse, but come on. Does that crowd really hoop and hollar when you roll in with your bad hiney ranger and light-em-up for them. Please tell me your under 17 years of age!!!!

So first you

Then everyone :w00t:
Old 2/11/05, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Boomer@February 11, 2005, 9:59 AM
Dave: Was this pre-tune?
I notice you have the SCT XCal.tune which could have eliminated that function and allowed you to do a standing burnout....
Post-tune. Sorry, I should have noted that due to not everyone being in the same boat.
Old 2/11/05, 11:03 AM
FR500 Member

Torque Management is a function of the auto tranny, not the manual.
Old 2/11/05, 11:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Route 66@February 11, 2005, 8:58 AM
Hey Hotshot,
When you go to sell, I'd hate to be the person buying the car from you. Can't imaging how big of a piece of !#@! it will be. The car is made for a little abuse, but come on. Does that crowd really hoop and hollar when you roll in with your bad hiney ranger and light-em-up for them. Please tell me your under 17 years of age!!!!

So first you

ROOT 66

Don't slam on the fronteers of our rides. The fact that they want to put their cars to the limits is saving you $$$$ in the long run....
Old 2/11/05, 11:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

BTW David, if you spray some WD-40 or Pam, or something similar on your rear quarters behind the wheels, it will make it quite easy to clean off all that rubber from the burnout.

And Mark, I simply think you either have a defective car, or you don't know how to burnout, because I have video of a loooong brakestand with a manual GT, that guy didn't seem to have any problems.
Old 2/11/05, 11:52 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Route 66@February 11, 2005, 10:58 AM
Hey Hotshot,

So first you

If you would of checked his profile, you would of saw how old he is.
Old 2/11/05, 12:47 PM

From what I understand, the tune WILL take care of your burnout problem. If you search around this and other forums, you will find many references to torque management and the ability to smoke the tires. Also you will find info about the different tunes.
Old 2/11/05, 01:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Shea@February 11, 2005, 10:49 AM
BTW David, if you spray some WD-40 or Pam, or something similar on your rear quarters behind the wheels, it will make it quite easy to clean off all that rubber from the burnout.

And Mark, I simply think you either have a defective car, or you don't know how to burnout, because I have video of a loooong brakestand with a manual GT, that guy didn't seem to have any problems.
Are you refering to the silver one in the parking lot, where it seemed kinda unsafe?
That video was cool at showing the mustang's burnout potential.
Old 2/11/05, 01:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Shea@February 11, 2005, 12:49 PM

Shea, haha...burnouts are second nature to me Extreme wheel-hop, which is what I am having, will limit even a pro from laying a nice long healthy burnout. I think my car just likes to pretend it is a jackhammer instead of doing a burnout like its told. But seriously, I have went through countless sets of tires in my years of driving, so its not like I dont know what I am doing. There definitely are some issues with my mustang, and hopefully a tune and some new lower control arms will help me out.
Old 2/11/05, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here's the burnout link:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/images/2005Mustang.wmv

No wheel hop whatsoever. You must have a defective car. Also, what difference would replacing control arms make on rear wheel hop?

Quick Reply: When turning off the Traction Control...