2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Whats wrong with people these days?

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/07, 12:24 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats wrong with people these days?

This is alot of topic.

I'm on the phone with my cousin today when her husband gets home. She starts freaking out on the phone that he's bleeding all over the place and hangs up. She calls back about 10 min later and says they are on the way to the ER, that he laid his bike down on the way home from work.

So heres the story. He's on his way home riding his street bike taking the back road he always takes avoiding traffic. He takes a turn doing about 40mph and hits a patch of loose gravel that wasn't there yesterday and lays the bike down. He ends up flipping end over end and sliding a little ways. He ends up on the side of the road while his bike ends up in the middle of his lane about 20 feet from him. He knows he's hurt and also knows that someone was right behind him so he lays there waiting for help. The car behind him drives around his bike and him and takes off. He still lays on the side of the road trying to catch his breath while 7 more cars drive by without stoping. All driving around him and his bike. Once he realizes traffic is dieing down and no one is going to stop he starts trying to get up. He reaches for his cell only to find out that it shattered on impact. He sees he's bleeding from his arms and legs but he doesn't feel any pain. He ends up walking over to his bike, gets on and rides the half hour home, stumbles through the door and tells his wife to take him to the ER. He's ok, just doesn't have any skin left on one arm and both legs and hes starting to feel all the pain now. Nothings broken, but he knows he's going to be sore tomorrow and will probably have to have skin graphs done in the future.

Whats wrong with people these days though that no one stops to help anymore? Whats so important that you just leave a man bleeding on the side of the road? He could have been laying there dieing and no one wanted to stop clearly seeing he was just in an accident. I just don't get it.
Old 4/14/07, 12:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh my God. For what it's worth, I would have stopped. That's just sick. All the best to him...
Old 4/14/07, 12:44 AM
Bullitt Member

This would never ever ever ever happen in Canada. I'm sorry for your cousin's husband and hope he's alright now.
Old 4/14/07, 12:46 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by xlayedoutx
This is alot of topic.

I'm on the phone with my cousin today when her husband gets home. She starts freaking out on the phone that he's bleeding all over the place and hangs up. She calls back about 10 min later and says they are on the way to the ER, that he laid his bike down on the way home from work.

So heres the story. He's on his way home riding his street bike taking the back road he always takes avoiding traffic. He takes a turn doing about 40mph and hits a patch of loose gravel that wasn't there yesterday and lays the bike down. He ends up flipping end over end and sliding a little ways. He ends up on the side of the road while his bike ends up in the middle of his lane about 20 feet from him. He knows he's hurt and also knows that someone was right behind him so he lays there waiting for help. The car behind him drives around his bike and him and takes off. He still lays on the side of the road trying to catch his breath while 7 more cars drive by without stopping. All driving around him and his bike. Once he realizes traffic is dieing down and no one is going to stop he starts trying to get up. He reaches for his cell only to find out that it shattered on impact. He sees he's bleeding from his arms and legs but he doesn't feel any pain. He ends up walking over to his bike, gets on and rides the half hour home, stumbles through the door and tells his wife to take him to the ER. He's OK, just doesn't have any skin left on one arm and both legs and hes starting to feel all the pain now. Nothings broken, but he knows he's going to be sore tomorrow and will probably have to have skin graphs done in the future.

Whats wrong with people these days though that no one stops to help anymore? Whats so important that you just leave a man bleeding on the side of the road? He could have been laying there dieing and no one wanted to stop clearly seeing he was just in an accident. I just don't get it.
We live in a selfish society! No wants to interrupt their lives or take time out of their self indulgent schedules to help! No one feels they have 2 to 4 hours to spare that would have been involved in helping!
Old 4/14/07, 02:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Any one of those cars could have stopped to at least call EMS and wait with him until they got there, would have taken 5 minutes out of their day. 5 freaking minutes. Rediculous!
Old 4/14/07, 03:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
One word: LAWYERS.

I know I probably would not have stopped because one too many ungrateful a$$holes have sued people that try to help them.

Yes I know there is a "Good Samaritan" Law that is supposed to protect people that try and help, but that law won't pay your defense attorney expenses not to mention all the time and trouble you have to go through appearing in court.

Forget it. I'm not dealing with that. Therefore, I'm not stopping. I am sorry.
Old 4/14/07, 04:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by mrkabc

I know I probably would not have stopped because one too many ungrateful a$$holes have sued people that try to help them.

Yes I know there is a "Good Samaritan" Law that is supposed to protect people that try and help, but that law won't pay your defense attorney expenses not to mention all the time and trouble you have to go through appearing in court.

That is suprising, and dissapointing. Wait, I think I've figured it out...

Name: Art J.

There's your problem. If I get sued trying to help someone, so be it. At least I will know in my heart that I did the right thing. What if this person would have died waiting for help because he couldn't move, and you just drove on by like nothing happened? Would you have a guilty concience then? Put yourself in the victims perspective...what if you were lying in the ditch and nobody stopped to help?

Sorry about the Cali. jab, but I've been there and (most) people there I met are not friendly, and care about nothing but themselves. I'll stay in Missouri, thanks. At least people here care enough to help people in a true emergency.
Old 4/14/07, 05:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Theres tons wrong with people these days but 2 come to mind everybody is in a god damb hurry and a lack or respect or compassion for others!!!
I know its only my opinion but I see it daily and it drives me nuts!
Old 4/14/07, 06:51 AM
Cobra Member

In a nutshell, People Suck. I have to concur regarding the fear of litigation. Ours has become such a litigious society that everyone is walking on eggshells for fear of getting sued. On the flipside people seem to cruise around looking for opportunities to sue each other. This is why it's "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". This is why some school district tried recently to do away with the "Easter Bunny" and swap him out for a generic rabbit. This is why you find warning labels on every **** thing you buy. This is why you'll eventually have to sign a waiver before you can shop in your neighborhood grocery store. Everyone has to bow to the whims of a few. I would have stopped by the way. **** the **** money hungry lawyers and the scum they talk into sueing everyone they bump into.

BTW - This is not an absolute generalization about ALL lawyers. But the few that are unscrupulous cause the bulk of the trouble.
Old 4/14/07, 07:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

All they had to do was get on their cell phone and called 911 and reported the accident,no law suit ,no lawyers and plus they wouldn't need to stop, just help a person out that needed it. What happened to old way of helping each other out! They'll get theirs in the long run ,you can bet on that! what goes around comes around!
Old 4/14/07, 08:03 AM

Whaaaat! In a society it should be the ones who DON'T stop that should be in fear of being sued; not the ones that do. This does show just how back assward people have become. Unfortunate. I always place myself in the persons shoes that needs help. I would do for you as I would want done to me if I was in a similar situation. The really horrible thing is that the people who just drove around without helping are the same ****** that WOULD sue if you stopped to help them. Sick man, just Sick!
Old 4/14/07, 09:12 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by zaghloul
This would never ever ever ever happen in Canada. I'm sorry for your cousin's husband and hope he's alright now.

Oh I think it could easily happen in any country including us 'friendly' Canucks.
People seem to have no respect for other's property or well being. It would have killed somebody to pick up their call and call in the accident.
Absolutely disgusting.
Old 4/14/07, 09:23 AM
Cobra Member

That sucks. It amazes me how idiotic, and uncaring people are. You should absolutely stop. There is no question. I would rather help someone get home to their family safe, in one piece. Come on people, this is what is wrong with our society these days. Disgusting.

Hope everything turns out okay for your cousins husband.
Old 4/14/07, 10:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow. That is a really surprising story, as are some of the responses from the members here. It is really disappointing that some of us would refuse help to an injured person in fear of being sued. What does that say about humanity and civilization today? Sad...
Old 4/14/07, 10:21 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
it`s due to the de-morilization and de-humanization of the human race .. look at the constant barage of crap on tv .. chapelle show - mind of mencia - those little round headed kids on that filthy cartoon show.. gore and blood and guts movies galore.. thats why i`m glad i`m already a senior citizen and hopefully wont be around many more years when ths world goes to hades in a hand basket..
Old 4/14/07, 10:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by theedge67

There's your problem. If I get sued trying to help someone, so be it. At least I will know in my heart that I did the right thing. What if this person would have died waiting for help because he couldn't move, and you just drove on by like nothing happened? Would you have a guilty concience then? Put yourself in the victims perspective...what if you were lying in the ditch and nobody stopped to help?

Sorry about the Cali. jab, but I've been there and (most) people there I met are not friendly, and care about nothing but themselves. I'll stay in Missouri, thanks. At least people here care enough to help people in a true emergency.
Hahahahaha! No worries about the California jab, it is most assuredly deserved!

We have a**holes here that will sue you for looking at them cross-eyed. My state has such a "lawsuit lottery" mentality that EVERYTHING you do, whether at work or at home has to be done with one eye on potential liability and risk of lawsuit.

I myself am not a bad person but to be honest I'd rather help an injured dog than an injured person - at least the dog will be grateful for the help as opposed to a person that will be phoning their lawyer from a hospital bed and giving them my name and address, and armchair quarterbacking what I "should have done" or "what I knew and when I knew it" etc, etc, etc...

Even if a lawsuit is totally meritless I will still have to pay to defend myself - who has $10k - $20k just laying around for legal fees? Lawyers here know this and push for you to cough up a $5k "nuisance" settlement just to "go away".

So call me an a**hole, but I'll just keep driving and avoid the drama, thank you very much.
Old 4/14/07, 10:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc

God forbid the Fireman or Paramedics feel like you do when they show up for YOUR emergency. Don't touch him, his wife, kids, house, car...
I'm glad the Military doesn't have your outlook.
Old 4/14/07, 10:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

that sucks.
Old 4/14/07, 10:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67

Its definitely different in the Peoples Republic of California. People are just cowards, with all their stupid cell phones and pda's most are so proud of, you would think they would want to be seen standing on the side of the road helping with the little stupid bluetooth thing in their ear. Always try to help your fellow man. I'm a motorcyclist myself so I always help them when I can whether its just gas or an accident.

A lot of people are such lemmings(although lemmings do get a bad rep as it was Disney/Hollywood people that were forcing them off a cliff in the first place to get the infamous reputation). I'll always go out of my way to help people. Don't get me wrong, I will also kill someone in a second who trys to hurt someone in my home and not miss a minute of sleep.
Old 4/14/07, 10:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 2005mach1
God forbid the Fireman or Paramedics feel like you do when they show up for YOUR emergency. Don't touch him, his wife, kids, house, car...
I'm glad the Military doesn't have your outlook.
Firemen and Paramedics are paid to deal with the problem, and also they are entities capable of defending themselves against lawsuits.

I'm Joe Public and if I get sued I will lose my house.

I'm a product of our litigous society - I am NOT sacrificing MY well being because somebody wants to shake the money tree at MY expense. I don't care if it's the "right thing to do" - I would DO the "right thing" if I knew I wouldn't be sued for acting in a good faith desire to help a fellow person.

Sadly, that is not the case in today's society, and I'm not going to pay a price for someone else's greed.

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with people these days?