The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   Transmission 5R55S won't go in Drive or Reverse Please Help (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/transmission-5r55s-wont-go-drive-reverse-please-help-538972/)

Gigantor 9/27/15 11:12 PM

Transmission 5R55S won't go in Drive or Reverse Please Help

Hi Guys (and Gals),

I have an 06 auto GT Vert and all of a sudden without warning it won't move in Drive or Reverse. But if I shift it into 1, 2, or 3 it kinda grabs hard and drives forward. When I put it in Drive it seems as if it want's to move but only rocks forward a little and the same thing in reverse.

I've looked and searched this forum and the web but couldn't find an answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

SpectreH 9/28/15 05:41 AM

First thing to check is the fluid level. Also, how many miles on the car? If it has a lot, fluid might need changing.

stupidgenius36 9/28/15 06:25 AM

Possibly related: https://themustangsource.com/forums/...roblem-522063/

Gigantor 9/28/15 08:42 AM

I have about 92k on the odo. I haven't checked the level because there isn't a dipstick. If it doesn't rain today I'll crawl under it and see.

The car drives forward in 1,2,3 but not in D or R. There has to be a reason and not that I have to get a new tranny.

07 Boss 9/28/15 10:24 AM

Could be a lot of things, Solenoid pack is what first comes to mind but It's kinda a vague description. When it goes into 1 or 2 or3 is it actually in that gear or is the tranny just engaged? Does it do anything in neutral? I ask just because the cable has a lot of plastic on there. In fact I have to replace mine because part of a plastic clip broke off and it was shifting funny. It has a zip tie side of the road kinda fix on there now but it has held up. I have the cable, just haven't gotten underneath there to do it.

When you try and put it in R or D, have you tried to rev it up and see if it engages? Or does it just sit there revving?

Gigantor 9/28/15 01:18 PM

When I put it reverse and give it gas it rocks a little, the same in drive. When I shift to 1,2,3 I feel the transmission engage and it moves forward almost like normal. It does nothing in neutral. I took off in 3 and while rolling I shifted into D and gave it gas. It felt like it was accelerating.

GottaHaveIt 9/29/15 06:52 AM

There's this guy:

07 Boss 9/29/15 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 6948182)
When I put it reverse and give it gas it rocks a little, the same in drive. When I shift to 1,2,3 I feel the transmission engage and it moves forward almost like normal. It does nothing in neutral. I took off in 3 and while rolling I shifted into D and gave it gas. It felt like it was accelerating.

Sounds like there is a full rebuild in your future. Could be fluid level but I would think you would have noticed a leak. These things are notorious for having issues with the servo bores and the little diaphragms, along with a whole plethora of other issues. I would take it to a good tranny shop and see what they say because it might be as simple as just swapping out the servo pack.

Gigantor 9/30/15 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by 07 Boss (Post 6948349)
Sounds like there is a full rebuild in your future. Could be fluid level but I would think you would have noticed a leak. These things are notorious for having issues with the servo bores and the little diaphragms, along with a whole plethora of other issues. I would take it to a good tranny shop and see what they say because it might be as simple as just swapping out the servo pack.

Took it to a good shop and they told me the same thing. A rebuilt unit will cost about 2500 plus labor but at least I'll get a two year warranty.

ford4v429 9/30/15 05:01 PM

these ATSG manuals are awesome- got one for my chevy, in 20 years saved twice from needing a tranny shop(once accumulator spring broke, once governor gear sheared) and when the forward sprag broke and it had to come out for rebuild, it walked me right thru it...

might consider getting one- maybe just a switch or solenoid pack, their diagnostic/troubleshooting is pretty accurate from what ive seen :)
https://www.atsg.us/atsg/5r55s-5r55w-dl.html

Gigantor 10/2/15 09:50 PM

Ok it turns out that my tranny is shot and has to be replaced. I would convert to a stick shift like I did with my 1969 Buick GS Stage 1 but that would be too expensive for the Mustang so I'm having one put in that'll run me about 3200 installed. Comes with a 2 yr warranty and hopefully I'll have it by tomorrow. I miss her already.

lowblustang00 10/3/15 02:01 PM

Hate that it came to that, but it's good that they're expecting to have you back driving so quickly.

How many miles were on that last transmission?

Gigantor 10/6/15 08:21 PM

Picked up my baby today. The new rebuilt tranny cost me $3515 installed after taxes. The old one had 94k miles and since I got her at 82k miles she shifted hard. I thought that's the way it was supposed to be. This one shifts as smooth as a babies bottom.

Mike Bailey 12/9/18 04:31 PM

Did they ever tell you what was actually wrong with the old trans? I am having the same issues and have No check engine light. I have a trans guy but would hate to have it torn down for nothing, and as a former service manager of dealerships I don't trust the techs to be honest if they think they can sell you a whole trans and not have to figure it out

mine is doing the same exact thing after lending it to someone. It did come back with water leaking allover the fuse box on passenger side it rained hard the day he brought it back and said it just started doing it. When I took off the big plug to fusebox/bcm water came out.. I had a similar issue with an 06 convertible that had the same notorious leak. It was fine all day and then when I was ready to go out if town with it in the rain overdrive slipped, then when came back to swap cars reverse was gone. When I returned 5 days later the thing was fine (and dry) it didn't rain after the night I left. There was also water and a little corrosion in a white plug under kickpanel inside the door. I have had to reground that plug on the convertible because the windows were stuck down and reverse would disengage after a few feet.

Jim Mitchell 4/17/19 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Bailey (Post 7037412)
Did they ever tell you what was actually wrong with the old trans? I am having the same issues and have No check engine light. I have a trans guy but would hate to have it torn down for nothing, and as a former service manager of dealerships I don't trust the techs to be honest if they think they can sell you a whole trans and not have to figure it out

mine is doing the same exact thing after lending it to someone. It did come back with water leaking allover the fuse box on passenger side it rained hard the day he brought it back and said it just started doing it. When I took off the big plug to fusebox/bcm water came out.. I had a similar issue with an 06 convertible that had the same notorious leak. It was fine all day and then when I was ready to go out if town with it in the rain overdrive slipped, then when came back to swap cars reverse was gone. When I returned 5 days later the thing was fine (and dry) it didn't rain after the night I left. There was also water and a little corrosion in a white plug under kickpanel inside the door. I have had to reground that plug on the convertible because the windows were stuck down and reverse would disengage after a few feet.

I had the same problem with the trans in my 07 mustang convertible about a year ago. Had a remsn tranny installed for around $3800 I believe? But now it's doing it again already. Reman trans only has about ten thousand miles on it......? Getting towed back to the shop for warranty repair!

Lisa Compton 8/25/19 08:59 PM

2005 Ford Mustang

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 6948121)
Hi Guys (and Gals),

I have an 06 auto GT Vert and all of a sudden without warning it won't move in Drive or Reverse. But if I shift it into 1, 2, or 3 it kinda grabs hard and drives forward. When I put it in Drive it seems as if it want's to move but only rocks forward a little and the same thing in reverse.

I've looked and searched this forum and the web but couldn't find an answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

I have a 2005 Ford Mustang and mine is doing just like you said Alex. Can you please help me out an let me know what was wrong with yours?

Thanks,
Lisa C

Marty McLendon JD 9/9/19 11:40 AM

I have a 2007 V6 5 speed automatic. It has a factory button that locks out 5th gear for city driving. If I put in a ratchet shifter, is there a way for the new shifter to lock out 5th gear when I put it in auto over-ride?

jakecoke 6/26/20 12:40 PM

My 2001 v6 mustang no longer moves out of drive or reverse. Did you find what was the problem or full rebuild?

Gigantor 8/1/20 10:29 PM

Jakecoke,

Yeah I found out what was wrong, the tranny was shot. When the mechanic showed me what was going on he said it was burnt. It's been a couple of years now and the tranny is starting to act funny again but this time I'll convert it into a manual.

IssaStang 10/29/20 11:35 PM

Help

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 7054167)
Jakecoke,

Yeah I found out what was wrong, the tranny was shot. When the mechanic showed me what was going on he said it was burnt. It's been a couple of years now and the tranny is starting to act funny again but this time I'll convert it into a manual.

Mine just did it tonight. Reverse and drive don’t engage, only 1,2,3 manually. What exactly should I look into? Just take it to a reputable tranny shop?