The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   tips for potential 05-09 'stang buyer? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/tips-potential-05-09-stang-buyer-480755/)

cdynaco 3/13/10 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bert (Post 5829272)
sounds like we're at about the same place . . . . I checked out an '08 Bullitt the other day, didn't even take a good ride in it, but just the sound of it at idle almost made me forget all about the new V6 . . . but then I thought about it some more, and since it will be my daily driver, I thought again about the MPG of the new V6 . . . so right now I'm waiting for some real test reports on the 2011 V6, and at the same time watching for a real good deal on a 2010 GT, and also looking for a good deal on a Bullitt or late model used GT . . . kicking myself because I passed up a nice 2008 Bullitt back in December from a local guy that sold for $21K, that is going to be tough to match . . .

funny you say "mental math" . . . I am a bit anal-ytical so I actually have a weighted decision matrix spreadsheet comparing all kinds of factors . . . but the bottom line is "it's a tie" between a nice used GT at a good price versus a new V6, or it can go either way depending on how much I value fuel efficiency versus V8 torque and sound

but I think right now the key is to be patient, I have a feeling that when the new 5.0 hits the lots, a lot of the Mustang faithful are going to unload their older GT's, which could make it a buyer's market . . . in the mean time, I'm drooling over both the articles about the new V6 and all the Bullitts I can find on e-Bay and Edmunds . . .

Have you considered - that since the Bullitt is far and few between - to pick one up now while there are still some very low mileage ones available. They still smell new. Even if you pay fair market value and don't get a 'deal', you're still not paying MSRP and losing a few thousand just driving off the lot.

Then if the few mpg's less than the 3.7 V6 outweighs the fun factor, and the uniqueness of having a Special Edition of under 7000 made, and the only Mustang in dark green, a movie car, a 40th Anniversary Steve McQueen movie car, and according to Ford's release 'the most balanced Mustang ever', that dash, that exhaust note that blends glass packs and GT 40 tones, etc.; you can always by the 11 V6. I mean they will be a dime a dozen both new and used in a year or so. Not the Bullitt... :grin:

Bert 3/14/10 12:15 PM

I hear ya Charlie . . . the ("devil") voice in my left ear says I really want the Bullitt for all the reasons you mentioned . . . but the ("good") voice in my other ear says says wait for the new V6 . . . so I'm looking at Bullitts while I wait . . . and driving myself nuts . . .

Blackjack49 3/14/10 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bert (Post 5829272)
sounds like we're at about the same place . . . . I checked out an '08 Bullitt the other day, didn't even take a good ride in it, but just the sound of it at idle almost made me forget all about the new V6 . . . but then I thought about it some more, and since it will be my daily driver, I thought again about the MPG of the new V6 . . . so right now I'm waiting for some real test reports on the 2011 V6, and at the same time watching for a real good deal on a 2010 GT, and also looking for a good deal on a Bullitt or late model used GT . . . kicking myself because I passed up a nice 2008 Bullitt back in December from a local guy that sold for $21K, that is going to be tough to match . . .

funny you say "mental math" . . . I am a bit anal-ytical so I actually have a weighted decision matrix spreadsheet comparing all kinds of factors . . . but the bottom line is "it's a tie" between a nice used GT at a good price versus a new V6, or it can go either way depending on how much I value fuel efficiency versus V8 torque and sound

but I think right now the key is to be patient, I have a feeling that when the new 5.0 hits the lots, a lot of the Mustang faithful are going to unload their older GT's, which could make it a buyer's market . . . in the mean time, I'm drooling over both the articles about the new V6 and all the Bullitts I can find on e-Bay and Edmunds . . .

My situation is a bit different. This will be a third car, and mpgs are not the biggest factor. My matrix shifted on Friday. I discovered that a V8 is more important to me than something like a leather interior. With 3000 in rebates and an x-plan pricing pin, I'm finding I can push the price of a 2010 base GT (non-premium) into the low 24k range. This is only a touch over the price of most of the nice used 08 and up GTs I have found.

Ford will start advertising 2011s next Monday (3/22), so dealers seem to be somewhat ready to deal. No final decision as of yet.

jadedpony 3/15/10 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Blackjack49 (Post 5829800)
My situation is a bit different. This will be a third car, and mpgs are not the biggest factor. My matrix shifted on Friday. I discovered that a V8 is more important to me than something like a leather interior. With 3000 in rebates and an x-plan pricing pin, I'm finding I can push the price of a 2010 base GT (non-premium) into the low 24k range. This is only a touch over the price of most of the nice used 08 and up GTs I have found.

Ford will start advertising 2011s next Monday (3/22), so dealers seem to be somewhat ready to deal. No final decision as of yet.

That's close to my purchase last year of an '09 for 23k after 4k in incentives (Deluxe since I share the same priorities of a V8 before leather interior)

ford4v429 3/15/10 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by jadedpony (Post 5829975)
That's close to my purchase last year of an '09 for 23k after 4k in incentives (Deluxe since I share the same priorities of a V8 before leather interior)

ditto here

jadedpony 3/16/10 10:35 AM

2009 Vista Blue GT Stick(day after seeing the 010 rearend unveiled just had to do it)
ditto this, and wish I had Vista (or Sonic) instead of Alloy :(

And to the OP, I'd check out your regional ford website if you have one like Western NY/Erie Ford Dealers

Personally, I'd still be looking at new 09's as there are still some laying around dealers. You can search them out on here Ford Search Inventory - 2009 Mustang if there is no regional website for your area.

Bert 3/16/10 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by jadedpony (Post 5830423)
And to the OP, I'd check out your regional ford website if you have one like Western NY/Erie Ford Dealers

Personally, I'd still be looking at new 09's as there are still some laying around dealers. You can search them out on here Ford Search Inventory - 2009 Mustang if there is no regional website for your area.

hmmm . . . thanks for that tip . . . when I try searching, it asks for my zip code, and then it says there aren't any at my local dealer . . . when I use the Erie link it still asks me for my zip code and then rediects to my local instead of Erie, so I can't see what's there . . . . . then if offers to have the local dealer find one for me and they already told me there aren't any . . . any ideas on how to broaden the search?

jadedpony 3/16/10 11:43 AM

Have you tried the Use Our Search Service | Let Us Find Your Vehicle link on the left side of this page? Ford Search Inventory - 2009 Mustang

In the very least, you can use zips from my area to search the Western New York Ford Dealers 14086, 14068, 14226

Here's what I found in my area (no Bullitts sorry :():

Howell Motors GT Premium
Champion Ford Eninboro GT Premium

This was the same problem that I was running into last year where the Ford website didn't allow me to expand my search radius and I had to rely on what the dealer searched for to find mine :devil:

Edit: I'd also recommend PM'ing our resident TMS dealers 05fordgt and Five Oh Brian to get their input :nice:

Bert 3/16/10 01:14 PM

thanks, I will look into those!

Bert 3/18/10 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by jadedpony (Post 5830472)
Have you tried the Use Our Search Service . . . .

thanks again, I did look at those listings, sorry for being picky, but they both have the phony hood scoops so not my cup of tea . . . I also contacted Ford and they told me to use my local zip code and go through my local dealer, which I know is not the best way, because they will add their own profit margin to the price . . . so it looks like the only way is to come up with a long list of zip codes and search with those . . . I have been in touch with Brian and Jeff but might be worth asking them again

anyway, thanks much, I haven't given up yet!

Blackjack49 3/18/10 06:44 PM

Bert: We're living parallel lives at this point. I think I found my car though........

jadedpony 3/19/10 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bert (Post 5831654)
thanks again, I did look at those listings, sorry for being picky, but they both have the phony hood scoops so not my cup of tea . . . I also contacted Ford and they told me to use my local zip code and go through my local dealer, which I know is not the best way, because they will add their own profit margin to the price . . . so it looks like the only way is to come up with a long list of zip codes and search with those . . . I have been in touch with Brian and Jeff but might be worth asking them again

anyway, thanks much, I haven't given up yet!

It's a huge purchase. I was the same way. I've done away with all the phony scoops on my six and found an untouched '09 as well :nice:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...g/IMG_1923.jpg

You think Ford would let us just search any distance we wanted :poke:

ford4v429 3/21/10 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by jadedpony (Post 5830472)
Have you tried the Use Our Search Service | Let Us Find Your Vehicle link on the left side of this page? Ford Search Inventory - 2009 Mustang

In the very least, you can use zips from my area to search the Western New York Ford Dealers 14086, 14068, 14226

Here's what I found in my area (no Bullitts sorry :():

Howell Motors GT Premium
Champion Ford Eninboro GT Premium

This was the same problem that I was running into last year where the Ford website didn't allow me to expand my search radius and I had to rely on what the dealer searched for to find mine :devil:

Edit: I'd also recommend PM'ing our resident TMS dealers 05fordgt and Five Oh Brian to get their input :nice:

hopefully Jeff or Brian can find you one- I called local dealer, they couldnt guarantee the rebates if I ordered, so they searched WAY out and found me one in michigan, undriven, undamaged, etc, and while I had to pay a few bucks to flatbed it home, they arranged a dealer trade too so the trip back wasnt empty and we split costs- was still a couple k less than I paid for the 06 :)
if you can find a sales guy willing to do some legwork, they can find you what you want, if its out there.

Bert 3/30/10 05:55 PM

well . . . now that the 2011 first reviews are in, I am more conflicted than ever . . . from the 05-09 generation I still like the Bullitt for its sleeper attitude, but the 2011 V6 has the close to the same performance with more MPG's (for the "greenie" in me) and the new 5.0 is just plain badass . . . I'm so confused! :confused::dunno:

so I think I'll keep looking for a great deal on an 08/09 Bullitt while I wait for the V6 performance package to become available . . . then again if they start giving away the 2010 GT's I'll be in line . . .

thanks again everybody for your comments and help . . . the good news is I'm definitely sold on the Mustang over the Camaro!

SilverBossGT 3/30/10 06:23 PM

Take a look at mine for sale:

https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=481663

I can ship or even meet you half way, or you can fly down and drive it home.

ptaylor_9849 4/2/10 03:02 PM

Just buy a used GT and do this to it!!! That's what I did.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...0/GTZ06074.jpg

05stangkc 4/2/10 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849 (Post 5839818)

I was just about to suggest the same thing! Even better if you find one with some minor bumper damage!

KC

Bert 4/16/10 03:13 PM

Hey everyone, thanks again for the input, I found a pretty decent deal on an '08 Bullitt, might pull the trigger soon, will post pics if and when!

Reminder to self: check the production number and look for the brown plug boots to avoid the two-piece sparkplug syndrome

By the way, that blue GT-350 conversion and SilverBoss' GT look awesome, but they are a little "more" than what I had in mind.

825LTRGT 4/16/10 11:31 PM

If you drive 10k miles a year, the difference between 31 mpg and 25 mpg (what my '08 averages - I drive mostly higway to work) is 78 gallons or $226 at $2.90 a gal. $18.30 a month.

Is it worth it? It's up to you.

Rjaniz 4/17/10 08:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849 (Post 5839818)

For some reason, reminds me of
https://themustangsource.com/attachm...0&d=1271514153