2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Is there a mechanical difference between the 17" and 18" suspensions?

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/06, 03:38 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there a mechanical difference between the 17" and 18" suspensions?

I thought I had seen someone question this before, but don't recall (and couldn't find) an answer.

I ordered my car with the fanblades, but the **@#$@ person running the computer didn't enter the code for it, or for the spoiler Delete. The car's already on it's way to the dealership, and I'm trying to talk them into taking the fanblades off of a car on the lot and putting them on my car, but want to make sure I won't be missing something else if I do that. I really want to re-order the whole car, but don't want to wait another 6-8 weeks or more. Maybe if I had a good car to drive in the meantime, but I have a crappy '79 GMC truck that I'm really sick of.

If anyone knows for sure, one way or another, if there's a difference between the suspensions, please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 7/8/06, 11:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No difference in the suspension, the wheels are bolt-on.

That is a drag that they screwed up your order!! I had them print mine out so I could make sure there weren't any errors. Still, that doesn't mean they won't screw something up when it gets assembled. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 7/8/06, 11:52 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So if there is no difference in the suspension, I would think the 235/50-18s should ride slightly harsher than the 235/55-17s (probably not too noticeable though).

Also the 17" bullitt wheels weigh 21.6lbs each compared to 26.5lbs for the Fanblades, or 20lbs lighter overall

(maybe .1 seconds quicker to 0-60 too) http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...8&postcount=33
Old 7/8/06, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jayguy
The car's already on it's way to the dealership, and I'm trying to talk them into taking the fanblades off of a car on the lot and putting them on my car, but want to make sure I won't be missing something else if I do that.
Jay, make sure they take the wheels off another '07 car and NOT an '06. The '06s don't have the tire pressure monitor system in them. I think it's just a band around the wheel which holds a sensor in place, but you definitely don't want them screwing around with mounting and unmounting tires and trying to figure out how to make the '07 TPMS work with an '06 wheel. It might be easy but just wanted you to be aware of the potential for screw ups.
Old 7/8/06, 03:23 PM

This is a great question, and I'm glad to see some discussion on it. My 07 vert is coming with 17" wheels because I like the gray Bullitts and wasn't sold on the chrome 18" Bullitts or the blades. However, I'd like to have the option of 18" aftermarket wheels if I choose.

Normally I'd consider the wheels to be a bolt-on with no problem, but I was thrown a little by the notation in the Ford Accessories catalog: every 18" wheel for the '05+ Stang has an asterisk saying "only for use with vehicles orignally equipped with 18" wheels". So maybe there's some slight tuning difference (maybe spring rates or lengths?) but I haven't seen anything definitive. Clearly whatever difference is there isn't a showstopper - after all, aftermarket wheel shops aren't known for turning people away because they're straying from the OEM wheel diameter

Bill
Old 7/9/06, 04:16 AM
Bullitt Member

I would recommend that you also consider contacting The Tire Rack, www.tirerack.com, they're experts in wheels, tires, and suspension. If they don't have the answers, I'm sure they can get them for you. I've been ordering from them for a solid 20+ years and have never once been disappointed.
Old 7/10/06, 02:50 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks guys. I know about the TMPS system, and made sure my sales guy knows, too. There's still no word on how they're going to resovle the wheel issue. Sounds like they're cool doing the trunk swap with a standard V6, so I don't have spoiler holes when I originally ordered it with spoiler delete. They've told me the rims are $1100 from Ford Parts, but I know Blue Oval Industries has the fanblades for $725. They're not '07, so no TMPS, but I was going to have them swap the tires out for 255/45-18 KDW NT's anyway. The car's still on the train, going through Nebraska today. I'll probably have a sit-down with the general manager later this week to figure the rim situation out. I just hope they take responsibility for the screw-up and fix it properly.