2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

something in the black paint

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/05, 11:26 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok after waiting for the my GT to come in...I get a call its finally in I go over to see it before its been prepped and guess what?

The painters at the factory painted over a metal burr or bug or some other crap that floated onto the car. and the QC people did not see it. Even though I saw it within 10 seconds looking at the BLACK finish it stood out like a fly in the mashed potatoes.

Anyway, just wondering if any body else had a similar experence, and if so did the dealership fix it so it is not visable
Old 10/18/05, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Mine came in about three weeks ago on a friday (I stopped in after work and they said that it would be in the following week, got home and the sales manager had called to say that it had come in within minutes of my leaving the dealer).

I stopped in to check it out saturday morning (in this case fortunately the banks were not open over the weekend so I had to wait till monday to get the money to pay for it) and it was being washed and looked great.

When I got in to work saturday after looking at it, the sales manager had called and told me that there was a problem with the paint, according to him it had been damaged, I told him I didnt want it that way and right then on the phone we put in an order for a new one.

Out of curiosity I stopped at the lot on monday to look at it and what the problem was, was that the clear coat had what looked like swirrel marks in it over the entire car. Most likely from having rail dust embedded in it and then being ground in when it was washed. I checked on the new order to make sure it was going through fine and then had him send the new one to the body shop to see if it could be buffed out.

Amazingly he agreed and the body shop did wonders for it. After finishing I went back and looked at it and not only are there no longer any swirrels in it, there is no orange peel or any other blemish in the paint. Needless to say that rather than waiting for another four to six weeks for the other one to come in, I took that one that day.

Great job by the body shop and the sales manager to get it all taken care of.

Its probably not allowed (and I'm sure the mods will let me know if its not ... lol) but with all the dealers being blasted for the way they are treating their customers this dealership was great. Took x-plan when no one else within a hundred mile radius would, refused to sell at anything over msrp when the others were marking up (they even had a copy of another dealers sticker showing a 5,000 markup ... on a V6) and were willing to sell at just over invoice for ordered cars.

Kudos to one of the good dealerships, Turnpike Ford in Huntington, WV., salesmen were Tom Gill and Mark Hendricks, even the owner was pretty cool.
Old 10/18/05, 11:36 AM
Cobra Member

I guess the best thing to do is have the dealership's body shop take a look at it and see if it can be fixed before you take delivery. If they can't repair it to your satisfaction, I'd order another one. It really depends on where the problem is. If it is on the hood, trunk, or hood, then I'd be more concerned about any buffing, painting, etc.
Old 10/18/05, 04:48 PM
V6 Member

I have a small swirl mark in the paint on the trunk lid on my 06 Black GT, and a small scratch on the top of the front bumper. I only noticed this after I had the car for about 3 days. It's 2 very minor imperfections, yet it's all I see when I'm washing it.
Old 10/19/05, 03:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by b_btrick@October 18, 2005, 10:16 AM

Amazingly he agreed and the body shop did wonders for it. After finishing I went back and looked at it and not only are there no longer any swirrels in it, there is no orange peel or any other blemish in the paint. Needless to say that rather than waiting for another four to six weeks for the other one to come in, I took that one that day.

No orange peel? Do you know the work involved in removing orange peel?
Old 10/20/05, 08:44 AM
Bullitt Member

I noticed a scratch on my trunck a day or two after getting the car. I was able to take it back to the dealeship and they were able to buff it out. But after a while it's starting to show up again.

Oh well can't be mad about scratches they are going to happen. If you let it get to you it will just drive you crazy.