The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   To Sell Or Not To Sell (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/sell-not-sell-520303/)

Pony07 4/1/13 12:51 AM

To Sell Or Not To Sell

I was never in this situation and would like some opinions about which way to go. I have a 2007 V6 Pony with 79k miles that was in outstanding condition. Was.

We had a huge hailstorm here in MS a few weeks ago. My redfire baby is now full of dents and dimples. No windows were broken though. So I filed an insurance claim. Total damage is $5,800. They put in for a brand new hood, drivers mirror, and roof panel and PDR on the trunk, door, and quarters. When I looked at the labor description, they have to remove nearly everything from the headlights to the tail lights including the front and rear glass. I assume the roof is going to have to be a cut-and-weld job. This sounds like a pretty extensive job.

They cut me a check. So, I was thinking - should I really do it or should I keep the check and sell the car as-is. I need to find out what the trade value is on a hail-dented car. How much less than normal value could I get? According to the online car guides (Kelly, NADA, Edmunds) the value of a "rough" condition vehicle is over 6,000. But is that how it works, or will they start from rough and deduct the repair cost?

If I do the repair, is it going to show up on future carfax reports? Is this going to penalize my future value after the repair? So if I fix it and then go to sell it, would I get less?

I really don't know which way is better at this point. Other than the dents, this car is great and even has a factory bumper-to-bumper warranty with 6 more months left.

05GTJOSH 4/1/13 06:06 AM

If you could keep the check and sell the car I'd say do that. Pics?? And if a insurence company paid out then the accident is already on your title.

NC14GT 4/1/13 08:09 AM

First off, don't worry about a Carfax incident on a 6 year old car with 79,000 miles on it. The loss of future value will be very minor. My concern is the quality of parts and repairs that will be made to your ride. Will that check cover quality Ford parts, or cheap steel from China?? Will it be a quality paint job or a job that looks like crap (fading, cracks, etc..) 2 years down the road? It makes a difference if you love your car.
As far as trading it in, the dealership won't mess with it and will 'wholesale' it out after 'trade in'. The offer will be very low, extremely low. Again, the value for a 6 cylinder '07 Mustang with that mileage has no huge value and isn't worth their time to have it repaired, and then hope to sell it for about $11,000 - $12,000 or whatever. I'm not being mean here, just realistic and looking at bottom line $$$ which is the only way a dealership operates.
If it was my car, and I have an '07 just like you, I would get the car fixed IF, and only IF the car was repaired with Ford parts and a quality paint job. If not, then take that check and use it to help you buy another car, along with whatever a dealership will give you for the '07. It would stink but I would not be happy owning a cheaply painted car with inferior parts.
Sorry you have had this misfortune, and best of luck with your decision.

Pony07 4/1/13 11:02 AM

So, since its already on my record I wonder if its value would go down because of that.

The estimate specifies genuine factory OEM parts (part #s and invoice prices are used) and it can be done by a shop of my choosing, most likely a Ford shop. But my concern is paint matching/blending, and who knows what would be with a water leak from all the glass and body sealing being taken apart. As much as I've taken care of it, the redfire is probably a little faded over what they'd put on in brand new paint.

Instead of a trade, would i have better luck getting at least a rough condition price if I sold it myself?

Flagstang 4/1/13 11:16 AM

most dealers will treat a hail damaged car as if it salvage titled. I would say keep it and go get another car with the money

Glenn 4/1/13 12:03 PM

keep the check and sell the car for as much as you can get for it. Bye bye old and hello to something newer. I would not try to trdae it in either. I would guess you would be able to get at least 4 to5k for it...just a guess of course.

Pony07 4/1/13 04:55 PM

I got one quote from Carmax. They want to give me $5000 with damage. They're not going to sell it like this, they are going to have their shop fix it. I'm still thinking they will lose money on it unless they do a real cheap job - and then I pity the next owner. I might consider taking that plus the insurance money, it sounds like more than I could get for the car in straight condition.

Also...when you replace a roof panel, can you reinstall the glass or do you need new glass?

Hadtohaveit'13 4/1/13 05:43 PM

Wow what a terrible story. Sorry to hear it. I would take the 5k for the car from Carmax yesterday

NC14GT 4/2/13 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Pony07 (Post 6591850)
I got one quote from Carmax. They want to give me $5000 with damage. They're not going to sell it like this, they are going to have their shop fix it. I'm still thinking they will lose money on it unless they do a real cheap job - and then I pity the next owner. I might consider taking that plus the insurance money, it sounds like more than I could get for the car in straight condition.

Also...when you replace a roof panel, can you reinstall the glass or do you need new glass?

Usually new glass is installed if the original glass has to be removed. I had to have a new seal put on a foreign car windshield a few years ago and not one shop would re-install the old glass. Apparently there is a liability issue with an increased chance of it breaking. I'm sure some shops would 'attempt' it but there must be some reasoning behind the experience I had.
I know you said the car would be fixed with good OEM parts and paint but I think I might take that Carmax offer. Start fresh. No worries or concerns. Of course it is up to you and how much you love your car.
Look at what you can get though (price-wise) for an apparent sweet ride with half your mileage. That is an asking price too. It can be had for less. There are quite a few low mileage examples like this.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=7&Log=0

Pony07 4/2/13 11:50 AM

wow, that's a beautiful car! I wanted the Parchment interior when I bought mine but they could not find one. $15k is a high price for that year though, especially if its not a GT/Boss/Convert.

Glenn 4/2/13 12:37 PM

I use to work at a bone yard and we use to sell windshields all the time. I used a few used windshields in my day as well. Nothing wrong with reusing the glass IMO. Maybe the shop was afraid they would break it taking it out.

NC14GT 4/2/13 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 6592419)
I use to work at a bone yard and we use to sell windshields all the time. I used a few used windshields in my day as well. Nothing wrong with reusing the glass IMO. Maybe the shop was afraid they would break it taking it out.

I think you are right. Windshields are sold 'aftermarket' by many places. It's all a liability thing these days. They are probably afraid that there might be a small crack or something and then after a short time, a new windshield is needed, and then have to pay.

joeblackis 4/3/13 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Pony07 (Post 6591850)

Sounds like a really good deal.
Basically getting 10,800 for a v6 07 79k miles.

trade in on kbb is 8,600 in excellent condition or around 10,5 to a thirdparty which would be the absolute best case scenario pre hail storm.

Pony07 4/3/13 10:47 AM

I'm seeing quite a number of V6's from 2007 listed at $14,000 to $17,000. Granted, most of them have much lower miles & were probably summer-drivers but I don't think the miles makes THAT much difference. How can people expect to get that much for a V6? (not a convertible) $10-11 sounds about right from what I've seen.

NC14GT 4/4/13 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Pony07 (Post 6593096)
I'm seeing quite a number of V6's from 2007 listed at $14,000 to $17,000. Granted, most of them have much lower miles & were probably summer-drivers but I don't think the miles makes THAT much difference. How can people expect to get that much for a V6? (not a convertible) $10-11 sounds about right from what I've seen.

Oh yes it does! I'm sorry but mileage is extremely important 9 out of 10 times. I'll gladly pay more for a lower mileage car and that is why the price guides show 'premiums' for them as well. Most buyers feel that way. Sure a 79,000 miles car may be extremely clean and well maintained but I want the same car with 40,000 less miles for a few thousand dollars more if it is in that 'excellent' condition. That's a lot of driving just waiting for the new owner with less chance of repairs. The car is just that much 'newer'. Remember that these $15,000 cars are asking prices too. There is a lot of room left in negotiations, both retail and private party.

Glenn 4/4/13 12:46 PM

Pony did you sell it yet?? Giter dun Man

Hadtohaveit'13 4/4/13 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 6594276)
Pony did you sell it yet??

This!

Glenn 4/4/13 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13 (Post 6594448)
This!

what about the gitter dun part??

Pony07 4/4/13 11:32 PM

No, didn't sell it. Have to decide what to do. I may try eBay. If I sold it to Carmax, I'd have to cancel my Ford ESP warranty & get back a little bit...but if I sold it privately, the warranty could be transferred & covers nearly everything plus a 1st day rental. That's got to add some value to a well-used car.

Glenn 4/5/13 05:23 AM

best of luck its not everyday some one is willing to give you 5k for a car thats all full of dents and dings esp warranty or not. Does carmax have a ride over there that you think you might want to buy from them?