The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   Is red a bad idea for 05? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/red-bad-idea-05-a-386333/)

dustindu4 4/9/04 10:45 PM

I can't decide which color I want. The only colors I like it comes with is Red or black. I like red the most, but everybody says red cars get the most tickets. Do any of you guys have red sports cars and after you got it, did you get pulled over more often? Not only is the car sexy but I'll be putting a racing exhaust on it that will raise the exhaust note by 20-30 decibels. That will make everybody's head turn. Think the red color will add unwanted attention or should I get a more neutral color like black?

The goal here is to get pulled over less often. The car I have now is a silver Honda and I've only gotten 1 ticket because I did something real stupid.

Decipher 4/9/04 10:50 PM

Just be glad you don't live in BC, where the colour of the car affects insurance rates. Even with the same stats and record, a red car would cost more than, say, a silver car here.

GMconvert 4/10/04 12:06 AM

When I lived in Detroit, my dad and I both bought new Trans Ams. Mine was black, his was red. The insurance company didn't raise his rates for the color, but they did warn us that they were having a lot of red T/As reported stolen but no problem with the black ones.

My dad has also said he's been followed by police cars for miles. I've never had that happen to me. So I'd be tempted to think that red would garner more attention from the law...how much more depends on your local police, but I think this is true as a general rule.

svtdriver 4/10/04 12:09 AM

I got almost all of my tickets in white cars. Only 1 in a red car. So for me I won't be buying a white car again.

Wombert 4/10/04 05:34 AM

Well... Redfire is my favorite... Torch Red certainly garners more attention... But black isn't bad either...

Zastava_101 4/10/04 09:12 AM

My Mustang is red, and in 3 years I only got pull over once for doing 45 mph in 35 mph zone. Just got friendly warning.

Goat Rider 4/10/04 09:15 AM

My mustang is red and I used to think the whole red-sports-car-thing was nothing more than legend. But I've found that cops do pay a lot more attention to you. I've only been pulled over once and it was because my transferred plates didn't register on the cop's computer. That was kinda funny actually. He thought I stole the Mustang since my plates were registered to a '88 Lincoln.

Anyway, you probably won't get pulled over more but you'll notice cops will pay more attention so you'll have to be more aware of your speed and such.

bison 4/10/04 09:40 AM

Black looks nice, but it really shows the orange peel on those crappy factory paint jobs. To get a nice looking black car, you either have to: a) order it from the factory and get lucky, b] pick one off the dealer lot, and CAREFULLY inspect the paint in good light, or c) have it repainted by a custom shop.

I've seen black Cadillacs and Lincolns with bad orange peel. I've heard that BMW and Mercedes have better factory paint jobs, but I haven't personally inspected any so I can't say for sure. I've seen new Hondas with crappy paint, so this isn't a US-only problem. Well, I guess those Hondas were probably built in the US, but ... ?

Until they make some breakthrough in the painting process, I'm staying away from black. Silver is probably the best FACTORY paint. The combination of the light color and the metal flake helps hide the orange peel. Black metallic hides some of the orange peel too, but it just doesn't look right to my eye.

A little background information: http://www.pcimag.com/CDA/ArticleInformati...6,72913,00.html

kevinb120 4/10/04 09:50 AM

RED GOOD!!!!! :drool:

Dan 4/10/04 10:10 AM

Don't forget that cops are just some of the people who are paying more attention to you because of the red colour. For me, its the other 99% of the people's attention I kinda like.

I will most likely get a red car. Often I scan the road/parking garage etc. at the colour range of the cars. Most are black/silver/light shades and while they look good on their own, you can't tell one from the other in a crowd. But I seem to notice EVERY red car that passes. It just draws your eye. Not to mention its the classic sports car colour.

I've always been a fan of black but I think I'm going red this time around.

mustangfun101 4/10/04 11:07 AM

Black is a pain to keep clean (nightmare actually) and it shows every blemish. Red is fine (look at my car) and it hasn't done anything to my insurance. I haven't been followed. My buddy has a blue vette and he has had more problems then I have and he's had his car half the time. Most cops I've talked to are car guys and know what they are looking at no matter what the color. I'd be going Silver, hides dirt, looks sharp, and it kinda blends in.

kevinb120 4/10/04 12:01 PM

RED GOOD!!!!! :drool:

VillianousBlak 4/10/04 01:00 PM

Redfire, if thats what you mean by Red, isn't like torch or performance, its not a "cops come get me color". So I wouldn't worry about it too much. Me being me, I say to heck with the cops do what you want.
My problem is I'm not a bright car kind of person but I don't know if black will get the look I wan't. Thats why I'm getting stripes, which will be dark blue. Not that thats an attention grabber either, but its darn sure not factory.

ManEHawke 4/10/04 01:15 PM

I'm still debating over redfire and black. I'm not going to choose based on cops, but what I like better. Since we've never seen a black mustang I'd have to do all the comparing in a few months when they are on the lots. The redfire is awesome and not too bright.

kevinb120 4/10/04 01:47 PM

TORCH RED GOOD!!!!! :drool:

((ShocK)) 4/10/04 02:19 PM

Can someone get this guys a cookie? ^^^ Preferably a red one? :-D

kevinb120 4/10/04 03:11 PM

:-D

Dan 4/10/04 04:31 PM

Originally posted by ((ShocK))@Apr. 10th, 2004, 8:22 PM
Can someone get this guys a cookie? ^^^ Preferably a red one? :-D
http://www.midwest-plaza.com/images/97001.jpg
Its a cookie jar.
http://www.astro.umd.edu/~berendse/p...ont/cookie.jpg
:-D

dave 02 gt 4/10/04 05:11 PM

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :lol: :lol: good one dan :peace:

JZInternet 4/10/04 06:07 PM

I don't really think red draws more attention just because there are sooo many red cars out there. I doubt you are more likely to get pulled you over because of it. If anything (in my opinion) screaming yellow stands out more (especially when it's getting dark. Its brighter and there are a ton more red cars on the road than yellow.

As far as my future 05 goes... I haven't decided either. I like torch red because it reminds me of the original mustangs the most. My Mom and dad had a 64' 1/2 and it was a bright red vert.. I love screaming yellow cause it's a little different than what most people would choose. I don't like that milky yellow they had a couple years ago. YUK! The silver looks cool with the white racing stripes too..

I love black on cars the most but from the pictures I've seen it doesn't look as good on this car to me.. Seems to me like it hides the detail and styling of the front end too much but not sure.

I'm not to hot on windveil blue, white, or legend lime.

Maybe it will be different when I see them in person.. I am going to look them over before deciding on a color. (probably yellow for me though) :-D