The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   Rear View Camera? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/rear-view-camera-442311/)

stangsimon 10/20/06 03:38 PM

Rear View Camera?

I am looking for a 2006 GT w/ 5 speed IUP, and spoiler delete.

However, one of my friends, who has spoiler delete himself, is recommending the wing. Despite his order, his car was delivered with the wing and he had to drive it around until a new decklid arrived without a wing. He said once he switched the trunk lids, he has a harder time judging the rear of the car when he's backing up.

So this got me thinking- I have a small VW now, and every Mustang I drive feels twice the size. But I'd really rather have the clean look of the spoiler delete, so this got me thinking: rear view camera :nice: Just wondering if any of you have a rear view camera system installed or have even ever thought about it. Since I don't live with the car on a day-to-day basis ( yet ) perhaps you can clue me in if you think this is worthwhile feature to have.

I wonder if Ford will offer it on the 2010 model?

Tragik 10/20/06 03:51 PM

I think the difficult part to figure out would be where to mount it at. Maybe pick up one of those rear view mirrors with the little screen on it. It probably has a signal wire on it which you then tap into your reverse lights wire. You also tap the +12v on the camera to the reverse lights, then they both come on when you put it in reverse. I'm working on a carputer for mine right now, and I thought about the back up camera as well. You can pick up some cheap ones of ebay with 0 lux for about 40.00 or so.

WB05stang 10/20/06 04:07 PM

Why don't you just buy a minivan.. some of them already have them.

Bingo 10/20/06 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by WB05stang (Post 764335)

Yeah really.

A rearview camera is pointless.

SteelTownStang 10/20/06 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by WB05stang (Post 764335)

What he said... :wacko:

sts767 10/20/06 05:03 PM

while you are at it get one of the beepers for backing up

official_style 10/20/06 05:17 PM

ya for real! if you cannot handle parking a car, then i dont think you should be buying a 300+ hp one! i park my mustang AND 99 gmc yukon all the time in nyc and i dont have any of that stupid parktronic crap or cameras.

AGBULLIT 10/20/06 05:55 PM

Check out this thread!
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ar+view+camera

Here is the search that I did with other threads that may help.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/search...earchid=204459

Hollywood_North GT 10/20/06 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bingo (Post 764359)
Yeah really.

A rearview camera is pointless.

You're point-less...literally.

Give the poor guy a break.

Legion681 10/20/06 11:30 PM

1) "Why don't you just buy a minivan.. some of them already have them."
2) "A rearview camera is pointless."
3) "while you are at it get one of the beepers for backing up"
4) "ya for real! if you cannot handle parking a car, then i dont think you should be buying a 300+ hp one! i park my mustang AND 99 gmc yukon all the time in nyc and i dont have any of that stupid parktronic crap or cameras."

Ahhhh...this type of comments really **** me off...

A guy comes in here, insults nobody, just asks about something and what does he get ? The usual "suspects" that can't resist busting his chops and/or be sarcastic...
Well, this time I think I want to adress what these geniuses said...

Well, here it is:
1) buying+installing a rearview camera on any vehicle might just improve safety when backing up, did you ever consider that ?
2) how did you come to that conclusion, genius ?
3) another electronic equipment that might sometimes come in handy. But I guess it falls in the category of "If-I-have-that-in-my-car-I-might-not-be-considered-manly-enough", right ?
4) Ah, the creme de la creme for last, you gotta love that: the typical NYC 'tude... So, if I understood this comment well, the hp of a vehicle is somehow related to how to park it ? LOL, this dude gotta be pretty high on crank or something...But he parks his Stang and Yukon in NYC all the time without having parktronic/cameras and if I may make a wild guess, I bet that in his life, he only eats what he kills with his vehicles and for sure he eats it raw: truly a real man...please don't buy a vehicle with parktronic or a camera because it might make your testicles fall off...beware, ok ?

LEAVE THIS GUY ALONE. Got that loud and clear ?

Hollywood_North GT 10/21/06 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Legion681 (Post 764599)
4) "ya for real! if you cannot handle parking a car, then i dont think you should be buying a 300+ hp one! i park my mustang AND 99 gmc yukon all the time in nyc and i dont have any of that stupid parktronic crap or cameras."

A guy comes in here, insults nobody, just asks about something and what does he get ? The usual "suspects" that can't resist busting his chops and/or be sarcastic...

Well, here it is:
1) buying+installing a rearview camera on any vehicle might just improve safety when backing up, did you ever consider that ?
3) another electronic equipment that might sometimes come in handy. But I guess it falls in the category of "If-I-have-that-in-my-car-I-might-not-be-considered-manly-enough", right ?
4) Ah, the creme de la creme for last, you gotta love that: the typical NYC 'tude... So, if I understood this comment well, the hp of a vehicle is somehow related to how to park it ? LOL, this dude gotta be pretty high on crank or something...But he parks his Stang and Yukon in NYC all the time without having parktronic/cameras and if I may make a wild guess, I bet that in his life, he only eats what he kills with his vehicles and for sure he eats it raw: truly a real man...please don't buy a vehicle with parktronic or a camera because it might make your testicles fall off...beware, ok ?

:werd:

Buttheads. :rolleyes:

scramblr 10/21/06 04:18 AM

Gotta agree with this...Members have actually stopped coming to TMS because of this kind of cr@p. If you surf around other forums you can see that folks are getting fed up with this type of banter here at TMS. Thinking the mods should start getting a little more involved....

By the way, I saw a thread before with a camera install where the key lock is on the rear badge...And Stangsimon, Welcome to TMS...don't let these guys discourage you from posting, they're the minority...

MY05GT 10/21/06 07:23 AM

I like the idea of the camera myself and have seen the keyhole write up somewhere also.

Don't be discouraged by the naysayers, the only opinion that counts is the one from the person making the payments.

AGBULLIT - thanks for finding that link it was good to reread it, too bad the picks are gone.

SteelTownStang 10/21/06 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Legion681 (Post 764599)

Well, here it is:

:stupid: Not really, but stupid nonetheless. Preacher Legion seems to have failed to address the topic as well. Note that he never did provide any meaningful feedback to the question during his sermon. This is a forum where people are entitled to their opinions, as you are... Your senseless comment is not better, or worse, than the others.

:topic: Try looking at www.mymobilevision.com. As there does not seem to be a lot of room in the cabin to tastefully house a monitor(unless you change the head unit), there is a 6" LCD mirror type set-up that may fit your needs.

IMO! Not for me... as I tend to think that "these" are more for larger vehicles, however, I noticed that higher-end cars are now providing them as an option. So maybe I'm behind the times.

RaGsHoCkEy88 10/21/06 10:12 AM

lots of cars have them and they r mounted where the license plate light is...its panoramic soo u can see the whole area and its very small....automatically comes on in reverse

Legion681 10/22/06 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang (Post 764671)
:stupid: Not really, but stupid nonetheless. Preacher Legion seems to have failed to address the topic as well. Note that he never did provide any meaningful feedback to the question during his sermon. This is a forum where people are entitled to their opinions, as you are... Your senseless comment is not better, or worse, than the others.

Well, let me see...oh yes, here is your first reply to this thread:
"What he said... :wacko:"
Where is the help in this ? Do you see any ? I don't...

As far as helping the guy with his rearview camera needs, I can't help him: I don't have a rearview camera, never had one, never researched one. I am sure he has the same capabilities that I have, meaning he can try to search in this forum and others for any related topic and I am sure he knows about Google or other search engines...

But I definitely noticed one thing that I didn't like: bullies that posted those very stupid comments, yanking this guy's chain and mocking him for wanting a rearview camera.
Personally I do NOT tolerate this kind of behavior and I react accordingly. In this case morally supporting this guy and bashing those morons/bullies that mock him: sure it doesn't help him with his rearview camera needs, but it still much better than your first comment ("What he said") which is basically fried air.

If you are a smart person, and I have the feeling you are not, when you hear a "sermon", a clever idea would be to try to see if it contains good ideas/concepts (like defending someone from a bunch of a.holes, for example...) that could improve you.

Have a nice day.

PS: you can actually call yourself, your comments and the rest of your family stupid, not me, ok ? Oh what the heck, why do I waste my time with this guy, who must be clearly the pick of the litterbox...

Legion681 10/22/06 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by scramblr (Post 764627)
Gotta agree with this...Members have actually stopped coming to TMS because of this kind of cr@p. If you surf around other forums you can see that folks are getting fed up with this type of banter here at TMS. Thinking the mods should start getting a little more involved....

By the way, I saw a thread before with a camera install where the key lock is on the rear badge...And Stangsimon, Welcome to TMS...don't let these guys discourage you from posting, they're the minority...

I agree at 100 %.

Ghettobooty 10/23/06 05:14 AM

i'd think they would also be useful if you had window louvers or side scoops that create blindspots. those posts criticizing a rearview camera are pointless. yes people are entitled to their opinions, but to disparage someone in the process is ridiculous.

i would say if you can afford it, try to install a carputer. then you'll have gps, rearview camera, movies, games etc all in your car. they are also more versatile and cheaper than the basic all-in-one units by pioneer or other brands. it's basically putting a computer with smallform factor and if you're worried about heat issues/vibration-no worries. check out mp3car.com it's a e-shop/forum for audio enthusiasts and car computer installations. there are quite a few kits on ebay as well. just do a search for carputer.

some people have placed the camera lens in the keyhole for the trunk. this way, it's very subtle and unnoticeable. fabrication for the modified radio bezel for the lcd screen in my area (socal) is about 500 dollars for installation/fabrication-having carputer in the trunk and running wires up to the front. there are a few 05+ mustangs on the mp3.com boards that have installed their own system. check it out.

good luck :metal:

stangsimon 10/23/06 06:09 AM

Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for your opinions, both positive and negative.

The reason I ask is because I don't currently live with the car on a daily basis, and figured I'd ask those that already do....

I won't stop coming to TMS, I love this car.

hawgman 10/23/06 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by AGBULLIT (Post 764427)

Wow.. that looks familiar :grin:

I love having a rear view camera. Not like you can see worth a darn out of the back window. It comes on when I put it in reverse, goes off when I take it out of reverse. Works like a champ.