The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Repair and Service Help (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f739/)
-   -   Power seat switch not going forward. $5 fix (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f739/power-seat-switch-not-going-forward-5-fix-546712/)

wanted33 4/1/19 09:23 AM

Power seat switch not going forward. $5 fix

I know there had been other threads about the pitiful power seat switches in the S-197's. But it isn't just the Mustangs as these switches were/are used across the Ford line of cars. After searching the forum I didn't see this information. The power seat in my '06 would move every way except forward, so I knew it wasn't the motor. After some searching I found a suggestion to try this before spending the almost $150 for a new switch. So, I thought I would share it as mine is working fine now.

First stop by your local Wally World, and pick up a can of CRC qdc electronics cleaner spray for $4.77 if you don't have any. Now we remove the seat back lever. It's sounds easy, but that **** little clip is a pain. Then there is a philips head screw at the back of the side panel you need to remove. There are 3 clips on the panel, 1 at the back, 1 in the middle, and 1 in the front. I never got the one at the front to pop loose, the clip is part of the lumbar switch holder so I just gave up. But, I was able to swing the back of the side panel out enough to get in there. Now comes the removal of the power seat switch itself. Here's it becomes a bit aggravating as the switch is held buy 4 little push in clips, 2 top, 2 bottom. The trick is to get 2 partially un-clipped, and keep them from attaching again while you're getting the other 2 un-clipped. The use of my go to "deleted expletive" helped a bit, and I finally got the switch out of the holder. The plug is held in by 1 clip on the bottom side.

The switch cover can be removed using a thin blade tool, knife, etc. Do not man handle this cover, you don't want to screw up the moving parts under that cover. Make sure the 3 moving tabs are centered before reattaching the cover. You will see where the contacts go into the center of the switch under the three moving tabs. Take the contact spray, and spray copious into the little slits where the contact are bent into the switch itself. Shake out the excess liquid, give a blow to dry the residue, hook the switch back up, and you should be back in the groove again. Hopefully you just saved yourself quite a bit of money. Good luck

BTW, as far as I could tell the same switch was used by Ford in the 2005 through 2013 years of the Mustang.

Jim

nuggs 12/17/23 09:07 PM

How in the hell does one even find this out??? Worked for me. HUGE thanks!!!!!<3

05stangkc 12/17/23 10:10 PM

Curiosity,

Taking Something Apart & Figuring Out How it Works!

The Cleaner Works Great on Lots of Electrical Switches, Motors & Electrical Connections.

I Have Resurrected Many Household Box Fans With the Stuff as Well!

Stuff Just Gets Dirty & Full of Muck!

KC