Passenger side air bag - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

2005-2009 Mustang S197 Discussion & News

Passenger side air bag

Old 1/7/18, 11:26 AM   #1
Bullitt Member

Passenger side air bag

Is there any way to disable the passenger side air bag on my '06 GT 'vert until Ford comes up with parts? Ford suggests having people ride in the rear seat. I know my wife won't do that.
goldenpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Old 1/7/18, 12:01 PM   #2
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!

Technically, the only thing you can do is remove the passenger airbag. Even if you disconnect the yellow connector on the bottom of the seat (the occupancy sensor that makes the bag go off or not if someone's in it) or you remove the yellow connector on the passenger seat belt assembly (indicating someone's strapped in or not) the bag *still* could go off... completely on its own, no real indication of why, just.. *poof*.

It's not very likely, but that's kind of the problem with them, the canister is weakened by humidity, and more humid areas are more prone to the thing letting go.

But still, if you want it to be 'off', just take the yellow connector off on the bottom of the seat, that'll turn it off. Of course, your SRS light is going to be on all the time. And I cannot say whether that affects the driver's airbag or not (I suspect not, but...)

Be sure to disconnect the battery from 20 minutes to overnight. I'd take off the negative, then the positive, then put the negative back on so there's a place for any charge to go, but that's me, the hack electrician of cars. For sure they say overnight both connectors of the battery, then the next day do any work on the airbag or its connectors.

Last edited by houtex; 1/7/18 at 12:03 PM.
houtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/7/18, 10:23 PM   #3
GTR Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtex View Post
Technically, the only thing you can do is remove the passenger airbag. Even if you disconnect the yellow connector on the bottom of the seat (the occupancy sensor that makes the bag go off or not if someone's in it) or you remove the yellow connector on the passenger seat belt assembly (indicating someone's strapped in or not) the bag *still* could go off... completely on its own, no real indication of why, just.. *poof*.

It's not very likely, but that's kind of the problem with them, the canister is weakened by humidity, and more humid areas are more prone to the thing letting go.

But still, if you want it to be 'off', just take the yellow connector off on the bottom of the seat, that'll turn it off. Of course, your SRS light is going to be on all the time. And I cannot say whether that affects the driver's airbag or not (I suspect not, but...)

Be sure to disconnect the battery from 20 minutes to overnight. I'd take off the negative, then the positive, then put the negative back on so there's a place for any charge to go, but that's me, the hack electrician of cars. For sure they say overnight both connectors of the battery, then the next day do any work on the airbag or its connectors.
Unless you know for absolute certain that disconnecting the yellow connector will prevent the passenger side airbag from inflating in the event of a crash? I still wouldn't take the risk of having an occupant in the front passenger seat nor would I recommend it!
m05fastbackGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/8/18, 11:15 AM   #4
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!

I didn't say I recommend it. That is a good point. I don't. BUT... I also feel that it's kind of absolutely stupid that there's no fix for them yet, and further, that Ford instead of *disabling the thing and we ride around as if it's 1990* recommends 'do not use'.

The entire heck is that action.

But pressing on... as I am still sort of leaning in the same direction of '(fastener of two objects device that uses a spiraling locking mechanism to achieve said fastening) it', I do know that without that connector, the airbag *will not go off at all*. Without the occupant sensor, the airbag has no way to blow. It has no way to determine if kid, adult, or nobody is there. It is also used in conjunction with the seat belt to determine if someone is not only in the seat, but is actually belted in. IF the belt is not put on, then the airbag also *will not go off*. Same for the driver side in that case, which is why the belt light goes off and won't stop.

The passenger airbag has a whole lot more lockouts and such to prevent damage to someone by having it blow when it won't do any good. Unbelted or small person will likely be severely hurt by its use, and indeed, children in the earlier versions of these bags have been killed because they didn't have the 'smarts' to prevent their being blown.

I put a printer in the seat. I was transporting it from point A to point B. The Passenger Air Bag OFF light came on because it was too light for the bag to be safe for the printer... aka, it thought it was a 60 pound kid.

Any disconnect whatsoever in the airbag/retraint system will ensure the airbag has no way to go off. Hence, disconnect one of the sensors, and the system is defeated.

Ostensibly. The problem is, as I said, the canister is still faulty, and it may blow anyway. And it's not the bag blowing, it's the canister shrapnel that's the issue here.

Very bad situation all around, really. Ford, and the rest of them, should be DOING BETTER, instead of forcing us to decide whether we can use the car as intended, and the Feds should mandate a way to *absolutely disable* the unsafe bags until they can fix them.

But no, we need those airbags because federal mandate, and yet, they are NOT COVERED in a safety inspection. Not required. Seat belt, lights, horns, brakes and... that's it.

Go figure.

Anyway, that's so you can fell reasonably assured that you will not light that bag if you disconnect the one sensor. Won't happen.

But I am not a lawyer, and you do so at your own risk and all that, I'm not liable, and like was suggested... not really recommended.
houtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/10/18, 09:24 AM   #5
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm thinking Ford is just waiting for all S197 owners to sell off their cars to the junkers. It's been 1.5 years since they announced the issue and that long that you shouldn't have passenger. It's a bit ridiculous.
GhostTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/10/18, 11:31 AM   #6
Bullitt Member

I think I smell a class action law suit
goldenpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/10/18, 12:06 PM   #7
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Random thought

Not that I would bother but...
Would it be possible to unbolt the seat and put it in the backseat area while leaving the seat wires connected in the process?
Then if you install a new seat, wouldn't the old seat read no weight and turn off the airbag?
karman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1/10/18, 12:28 PM   #8

If you unplug the sensor under the seat then there is a change that is still active. Better to unplug the airbag behind the dash and remove it.

RedGT
Red Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/10/18, 01:27 PM   #9
Bullitt Member

I laughed the day I got my notice in the mail. It was the day I traded mine in.

The funny part was to not let passengers ride in the front seat. I was just picturing my boss sitting in the back seat if I drove and we went out for lunch.
woody24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/11/18, 02:45 PM   #10
GTR Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtex View Post
I didn't say I recommend it. That is a good point. I don't. BUT... I also feel that it's kind of absolutely stupid that there's no fix for them yet, and further, that Ford instead of *disabling the thing and we ride around as if it's 1990* recommends 'do not use'.

The entire heck is that action.

But pressing on... as I am still sort of leaning in the same direction of '(fastener of two objects device that uses a spiraling locking mechanism to achieve said fastening) it', I do know that without that connector, the airbag *will not go off at all*. Without the occupant sensor, the airbag has no way to blow. It has no way to determine if kid, adult, or nobody is there. It is also used in conjunction with the seat belt to determine if someone is not only in the seat, but is actually belted in. IF the belt is not put on, then the airbag also *will not go off*. Same for the driver side in that case, which is why the belt light goes off and won't stop.

The passenger airbag has a whole lot more lockouts and such to prevent damage to someone by having it blow when it won't do any good. Unbelted or small person will likely be severely hurt by its use, and indeed, children in the earlier versions of these bags have been killed because they didn't have the 'smarts' to prevent their being blown.

I put a printer in the seat. I was transporting it from point A to point B. The Passenger Air Bag OFF light came on because it was too light for the bag to be safe for the printer... aka, it thought it was a 60 pound kid.

Any disconnect whatsoever in the airbag/retraint system will ensure the airbag has no way to go off. Hence, disconnect one of the sensors, and the system is defeated.

Ostensibly. The problem is, as I said, the canister is still faulty, and it may blow anyway. And it's not the bag blowing, it's the canister shrapnel that's the issue here.

Very bad situation all around, really. Ford, and the rest of them, should be DOING BETTER, instead of forcing us to decide whether we can use the car as intended, and the Feds should mandate a way to *absolutely disable* the unsafe bags until they can fix them.

But no, we need those airbags because federal mandate, and yet, they are NOT COVERED in a safety inspection. Not required. Seat belt, lights, horns, brakes and... that's it.

Go figure.

Anyway, that's so you can fell reasonably assured that you will not light that bag if you disconnect the one sensor. Won't happen.

But I am not a lawyer, and you do so at your own risk and all that, I'm not liable, and like was suggested... not really recommended.
Supposedly Ford has a new airbag manufacturer that'll be supplying the remedy parts for the passenger side inflators this upcoming spring. So I suppose we'll find out soon enough within the next few months one way or the other
Old 1/11/18, 03:35 PM   #11
Fatboy Loves Fried!
TMS Staff

Maybe we should just remove the from passenger seat and that way an adult can fit in the back seat passenger side with tons of legroom. Plus the car will be lighter.
2k7gtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2k7gtcs For This Useful Post:
m05fastbackGT (1/11/18)
Old 1/11/18, 03:40 PM   #12
GTR Member

I think you're really onto something there Gary
Old 1/12/18, 12:59 AM   #13
Cobra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX
I'm thinking Ford is just waiting for all S197 owners to sell off their cars to the junkers. It's been 1.5 years since they announced the issue and that long that you shouldn't have passenger. It's a bit ridiculous.
Ford doesn't make the airbags, & there were like 40 million bags recalled,
& Takata was sued into the ground,
THEN, some replacement bags were recalled, so...
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote