Passenger side air bag - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums


2005-2009 Mustang S197 Discussion & News

Passenger side air bag

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1/7/18, 10:26 AM   #1  
Bullitt Member
Thread Starter
 
goldenpony's Avatar
 
Join Date: March 4, 2007
Posts: 390
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Passenger side air bag

Is there any way to disable the passenger side air bag on my '06 GT 'vert until Ford comes up with parts? Ford suggests having people ride in the rear seat. I know my wife won't do that.
goldenpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Old 1/7/18, 11:01 AM   #2  
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!
 
houtex's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 2, 2004
Location: Insane
Posts: 5,508
Thanked 85 Times in 79 Posts
Technically, the only thing you can do is remove the passenger airbag. Even if you disconnect the yellow connector on the bottom of the seat (the occupancy sensor that makes the bag go off or not if someone's in it) or you remove the yellow connector on the passenger seat belt assembly (indicating someone's strapped in or not) the bag *still* could go off... completely on its own, no real indication of why, just.. *poof*.

It's not very likely, but that's kind of the problem with them, the canister is weakened by humidity, and more humid areas are more prone to the thing letting go.

But still, if you want it to be 'off', just take the yellow connector off on the bottom of the seat, that'll turn it off. Of course, your SRS light is going to be on all the time. And I cannot say whether that affects the driver's airbag or not (I suspect not, but...)

Be sure to disconnect the battery from 20 minutes to overnight. I'd take off the negative, then the positive, then put the negative back on so there's a place for any charge to go, but that's me, the hack electrician of cars. For sure they say overnight both connectors of the battery, then the next day do any work on the airbag or its connectors.

Last edited by houtex; 1/7/18 at 11:03 AM.
houtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/7/18, 09:23 PM   #3  
GTR Member
 
m05fastbackGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 11, 2006
Location: Carnegie, PA
Posts: 6,035
Thanked 203 Times in 194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by houtex View Post
Technically, the only thing you can do is remove the passenger airbag. Even if you disconnect the yellow connector on the bottom of the seat (the occupancy sensor that makes the bag go off or not if someone's in it) or you remove the yellow connector on the passenger seat belt assembly (indicating someone's strapped in or not) the bag *still* could go off... completely on its own, no real indication of why, just.. *poof*.

It's not very likely, but that's kind of the problem with them, the canister is weakened by humidity, and more humid areas are more prone to the thing letting go.

But still, if you want it to be 'off', just take the yellow connector off on the bottom of the seat, that'll turn it off. Of course, your SRS light is going to be on all the time. And I cannot say whether that affects the driver's airbag or not (I suspect not, but...)

Be sure to disconnect the battery from 20 minutes to overnight. I'd take off the negative, then the positive, then put the negative back on so there's a place for any charge to go, but that's me, the hack electrician of cars. For sure they say overnight both connectors of the battery, then the next day do any work on the airbag or its connectors.
Unless you know for absolute certain that disconnecting the yellow connector will prevent the passenger side airbag from inflating in the event of a crash? I still wouldn't take the risk of having an occupant in the front passenger seat nor would I recommend it!
m05fastbackGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/8/18, 10:15 AM   #4  
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!
 
houtex's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 2, 2004
Location: Insane
Posts: 5,508
Thanked 85 Times in 79 Posts
I didn't say I recommend it. That is a good point. I don't. BUT... I also feel that it's kind of absolutely stupid that there's no fix for them yet, and further, that Ford instead of *disabling the thing and we ride around as if it's 1990* recommends 'do not use'.

The entire heck is that action.

But pressing on... as I am still sort of leaning in the same direction of '(fastener of two objects device that uses a spiraling locking mechanism to achieve said fastening) it', I do know that without that connector, the airbag *will not go off at all*. Without the occupant sensor, the airbag has no way to blow. It has no way to determine if kid, adult, or nobody is there. It is also used in conjunction with the seat belt to determine if someone is not only in the seat, but is actually belted in. IF the belt is not put on, then the airbag also *will not go off*. Same for the driver side in that case, which is why the belt light goes off and won't stop.

The passenger airbag has a whole lot more lockouts and such to prevent damage to someone by having it blow when it won't do any good. Unbelted or small person will likely be severely hurt by its use, and indeed, children in the earlier versions of these bags have been killed because they didn't have the 'smarts' to prevent their being blown.

I put a printer in the seat. I was transporting it from point A to point B. The Passenger Air Bag OFF light came on because it was too light for the bag to be safe for the printer... aka, it thought it was a 60 pound kid.

Any disconnect whatsoever in the airbag/retraint system will ensure the airbag has no way to go off. Hence, disconnect one of the sensors, and the system is defeated.

Ostensibly. The problem is, as I said, the canister is still faulty, and it may blow anyway. And it's not the bag blowing, it's the canister shrapnel that's the issue here.

Very bad situation all around, really. Ford, and the rest of them, should be DOING BETTER, instead of forcing us to decide whether we can use the car as intended, and the Feds should mandate a way to *absolutely disable* the unsafe bags until they can fix them.

But no, we need those airbags because federal mandate, and yet, they are NOT COVERED in a safety inspection. Not required. Seat belt, lights, horns, brakes and... that's it.

Go figure.

Anyway, that's so you can fell reasonably assured that you will not light that bag if you disconnect the one sensor. Won't happen.

But I am not a lawyer, and you do so at your own risk and all that, I'm not liable, and like was suggested... not really recommended.
houtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/10/18, 08:24 AM   #5  
Shelby GT500 Member
 
GhostTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: March 10, 2004
Location: Sherman, TX
Posts: 2,560
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking Ford is just waiting for all S197 owners to sell off their cars to the junkers. It's been 1.5 years since they announced the issue and that long that you shouldn't have passenger. It's a bit ridiculous.
GhostTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/10/18, 10:31 AM   #6  
Bullitt Member
Thread Starter
 
goldenpony's Avatar
 
Join Date: March 4, 2007
Posts: 390
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think I smell a class action law suit
goldenpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/10/18, 11:06 AM   #7  
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member
 
karman's Avatar
 
Join Date: January 4, 2006
Posts: 3,874
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Random thought

Not that I would bother but...
Would it be possible to unbolt the seat and put it in the backseat area while leaving the seat wires connected in the process?
Then if you install a new seat, wouldn't the old seat read no weight and turn off the airbag?
karman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/10/18, 11:28 AM   #8  
V6 Member
 
Red Gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 9, 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you unplug the sensor under the seat then there is a change that is still active. Better to unplug the airbag behind the dash and remove it.

RedGT
Red Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/10/18, 12:27 PM   #9  
Bullitt Member
 
woody24's Avatar
 
Join Date: August 27, 2008
Location: America
Posts: 323
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I laughed the day I got my notice in the mail. It was the day I traded mine in.

The funny part was to not let passengers ride in the front seat. I was just picturing my boss sitting in the back seat if I drove and we went out for lunch.
woody24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/11/18, 01:45 PM   #10  
GTR Member
 
m05fastbackGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 11, 2006
Location: Carnegie, PA
Posts: 6,035
Thanked 203 Times in 194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by houtex View Post
I didn't say I recommend it. That is a good point. I don't. BUT... I also feel that it's kind of absolutely stupid that there's no fix for them yet, and further, that Ford instead of *disabling the thing and we ride around as if it's 1990* recommends 'do not use'.

The entire heck is that action.

But pressing on... as I am still sort of leaning in the same direction of '(fastener of two objects device that uses a spiraling locking mechanism to achieve said fastening) it', I do know that without that connector, the airbag *will not go off at all*. Without the occupant sensor, the airbag has no way to blow. It has no way to determine if kid, adult, or nobody is there. It is also used in conjunction with the seat belt to determine if someone is not only in the seat, but is actually belted in. IF the belt is not put on, then the airbag also *will not go off*. Same for the driver side in that case, which is why the belt light goes off and won't stop.

The passenger airbag has a whole lot more lockouts and such to prevent damage to someone by having it blow when it won't do any good. Unbelted or small person will likely be severely hurt by its use, and indeed, children in the earlier versions of these bags have been killed because they didn't have the 'smarts' to prevent their being blown.

I put a printer in the seat. I was transporting it from point A to point B. The Passenger Air Bag OFF light came on because it was too light for the bag to be safe for the printer... aka, it thought it was a 60 pound kid.

Any disconnect whatsoever in the airbag/retraint system will ensure the airbag has no way to go off. Hence, disconnect one of the sensors, and the system is defeated.

Ostensibly. The problem is, as I said, the canister is still faulty, and it may blow anyway. And it's not the bag blowing, it's the canister shrapnel that's the issue here.

Very bad situation all around, really. Ford, and the rest of them, should be DOING BETTER, instead of forcing us to decide whether we can use the car as intended, and the Feds should mandate a way to *absolutely disable* the unsafe bags until they can fix them.

But no, we need those airbags because federal mandate, and yet, they are NOT COVERED in a safety inspection. Not required. Seat belt, lights, horns, brakes and... that's it.

Go figure.

Anyway, that's so you can fell reasonably assured that you will not light that bag if you disconnect the one sensor. Won't happen.

But I am not a lawyer, and you do so at your own risk and all that, I'm not liable, and like was suggested... not really recommended.
Supposedly Ford has a new airbag manufacturer that'll be supplying the remedy parts for the passenger side inflators this upcoming spring. So I suppose we'll find out soon enough within the next few months one way or the other
m05fastbackGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/11/18, 02:35 PM   #11  
Fatboy Loves Fried!
TMS Staff
 
2k7gtcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: October 9, 2007
Posts: 27,977
Thanked 132 Times in 117 Posts
Maybe we should just remove the from passenger seat and that way an adult can fit in the back seat passenger side with tons of legroom. Plus the car will be lighter.
2k7gtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2k7gtcs For This Useful Post:
m05fastbackGT (1/11/18)
Old 1/11/18, 02:40 PM   #12  
GTR Member
 
m05fastbackGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 11, 2006
Location: Carnegie, PA
Posts: 6,035
Thanked 203 Times in 194 Posts
I think you're really onto something there Gary
m05fastbackGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1/11/18, 11:59 PM   #13  
Cobra Member
 
Gravydog316's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 4, 2014
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 1,360
Thanked 216 Times in 195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX
I'm thinking Ford is just waiting for all S197 owners to sell off their cars to the junkers. It's been 1.5 years since they announced the issue and that long that you shouldn't have passenger. It's a bit ridiculous.
Ford doesn't make the airbags, & there were like 40 million bags recalled,
& Takata was sued into the ground,
THEN, some replacement bags were recalled, so...
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/26/18, 07:01 PM   #14  
Bullitt Member
 
tbear853's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 22, 2013
Location: the beautiful "Shenandoah Valley of Virginia"
Posts: 376
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT View Post
Supposedly Ford has a new airbag manufacturer that'll be supplying the remedy parts for the passenger side inflators this upcoming spring. So I suppose we'll find out soon enough within the next few months one way or the other
Still waiting .
tbear853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/27/18, 05:36 AM   #15  
Shelby GT350 Member
 
SpectreH's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 5, 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 2,146
Thanked 198 Times in 177 Posts
Passenger bag inflator on my '13 was replaced under the recall last week.
SpectreH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/27/18, 01:01 PM   #16  
GTR Member
 
m05fastbackGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 11, 2006
Location: Carnegie, PA
Posts: 6,035
Thanked 203 Times in 194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbear853 View Post
Still waiting .
Mine was finally done last month. In the meantime, I would recommend contacting Ford corporate and request to speak a customer support supervisor and find out what the hold up is and you're getting fed up having to wait around not knowing when you're replacement parts for your passenger side airbag will be coming in
m05fastbackGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/28/18, 07:53 PM   #17  
Bullitt Member
 
tbear853's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 22, 2013
Location: the beautiful "Shenandoah Valley of Virginia"
Posts: 376
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I hear you.


Have talked with local Ford SM twice, assured me that when parts arrive, they'll contact me. I'm on his list he said.




Just today, as wife was driving, I thought of a bungie loaded safety blanket over pass airbag … like they use for transmission blankets.


Could be a whole new interior mod line?


Naw, don't think so.
tbear853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6/29/18, 01:14 AM   #18  
Cobra Member
 
Gravydog316's Avatar
 
Join Date: June 4, 2014
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 1,360
Thanked 216 Times in 195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbear853

Could be a whole new interior mod line?


Naw, don't think so.
Depends how much life insurance she has...

Last edited by Gravydog316; 6/29/18 at 01:15 AM.
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone know where i can get a set of Passenger side air bag cover? Jcint 2010-2014 Mustang 0 5/11/11 08:22 PM
Passenger Air bag 07gtcs 2007-2009 Mustang GT/CS 7 1/23/07 11:09 AM
Passenger Air Bag Removal? blaizedup 1994-2004 V-6 4 5/23/05 03:25 PM
passenger side air bag derynf 2005-2009 Mustang 5 11/19/04 02:27 PM
Passenger Air Bag... UGAKarl 2005-2009 Mustang 6 11/11/04 12:33 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Featured Sponsors

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:41 PM.


2010, The Mustang Source
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.