2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Parking brake cable snaps and the warranty fun that ensues

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/06, 06:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TexaStang @ March 1, 2006, 8:01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well, the first "major" issue with my GT.

I pull into my Ford dealer for a tire rotation, get into the garage, pull up the parking brake and "SNAP" no more parking brake. The service guy kinda gives me a "wtf" look, and says well I guess we'll be seeing you tomorrow.

So, cut to tomorrow ( today ) -- I drop my car off to have the brake fixed and the tires rotated, should be done by the end of the day. Oh, if only.

I get a call at work -- "I'm sorry, we can't cover your parking brake under warranty since you painted your calipers" -- As a note, the calipers were never removed during the painting process, although he accused me of removing them. I asked him to show me the bolt mars from putting the bolts back to torque, of which he immediately dropped the subject and tried a new approach.

I immediately leave work, and raise heck with the service manager. I calmly ask him to explain how painted calipers snapped and frayed the parking brake cable at the linkage joint near the driveshaft.

He said I must have tampered with it, or cut it with some wire cutters.

I was completely flabbergasted, and immediately layed into him. I got the general manager out, and had the service guy try and explain why I was going to be charged for this. He pretty clearly told the service manager that I was not going to pay for this, and it was quite obviously a problem with the vehicle.

The service manager tried to recoup explaining that maybe someone vandalized my vehicle, wishing me malice. Okay, maybe, but how many people can fit under a GT, stretch to the drive shaft housing and cut a rather thick steel cable blind. Not to mention, if someone wanted to render my brakes useless, wouldn't they just cut my actual brakes, and not my damned parking brake?

Give me a break. No pun intended.
Well, theoretically the car will be repaired tomorrow at no expense to me. I just can't believe I even needed to talk to this guy about this junk.
[/b][/quote]

Better not go to that Ford dealer again, tell him from now on another Ford dealer will get his business. Cuz bottom line the mechanics there get paid to work on yourcar whether its under warranty or not. I tihnk they just lost out on your future business...LEave them with a finger in the air.:-P
Old 3/2/06, 12:14 PM
FR500 Member

Man, that's pretty bad. This just goes to show you it depends on your dealer. I have been in to my dealer 4 or 5 times to get various things fixed and they have never said a word about my mods. Maybe because they were too busy drooling, I'm not sure. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] And I have never even attempted to put my car back to stock... including not reflashing the computer back to stock. Painted calipers are the least of my mods. My advice is to find another dealer. And I personally will never buy a car from a dealer I don't get to know first. Before I even ordered my car, I talked to the general manager and found out his stance on mixing mods with warranties. My wife and I actually bought him and the sales manager lunch the day we went in to order the car. We made friends with the top guys there... and so far I have had no problems. That's not to say that if one day my engine blows up they are going to fix it for free... but they are going to let the minor things go so I can at least get the most out of my warranty and still get to have fun modding.
Old 3/2/06, 02:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I wish I had your service department around here Acadian. Both of my local dealers are complete aholes when it comes to service.
Old 3/2/06, 02:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Acadian, your dealer sounds very much like mine. In my case though, they're the ones who created and flashed my 94 octane tune for me so I know they're on my side when it comes to modding! I even drag race with one of their mechanics (the CMR tech) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/2/06, 04:31 PM
V6 Member

No wonder Ford is in the shape the are in. How many people are going to put up with this kind of stuff before they go to another manufacturer. I know every make has A-whole dealers but Ford seems to have the worst by far.
Old 3/3/06, 11:39 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1meanZ @ March 2, 2006, 5:34 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
No wonder Ford is in the shape the are in. How many people are going to put up with this kind of stuff before they go to another manufacturer. I know every make has A-whole dealers but Ford seems to have the worst by far.
[/b][/quote]

I had a great buying experience only to have it ruined by service department, service manager and service tech ineptness. Price Ford of Millington, TN has showed me that the important thing to Ford dealers, in general, is getting paid for the car, after that you are screwed and no one gives 2 craps about you or your car's issues. I found another dealer on the other side of town that is good to deal with, but as far as confidence in them actually fixing a problem - not so much.

It really discouraging, because I have owned Chevys, Nissans, Acuras and BMWs in the past and NEVER have I felt so helpless/unconfident in having my car's service needs addressed. I've never wanted a vehicle as much as I want this GT, there is not even another car on the road that I want to drive, but at this point I've started exploring my options as to selling in the very near future to avoid getting hammered in my resale. I don't know if that will be my course of action at this point though. I'm just not a guy that works on cars and therefore need to have confidence in my car running correctly, thus a service department is very important in my small world.
Old 3/3/06, 06:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These Ford horror stories are absolutely true. I have such little confidence I haven't had even ONE TSB completed on my car. Nothing with the car bothers me enough to give it to one of these band of knuckleheads. Inevidably once you've had service, something else is either wrong, or theres grease somewhere or a scratch or whatever. And darn near every time, you need to go back several times to get it done correctly even IF you end up paying for it.

I feel it is a HUGE part of what's hurting the domestics so badly. Let's face it, every vehicle has problems at one point or another. It's not necessarily about what problem has occurred with the car, but how the "stealership" has handled the issue. If you get jerked every time you have something, you'll quickly learn how to buy other products.
Old 3/3/06, 11:35 PM
FR500 Member

threaten to call the district manager....that will have them begging
Old 3/4/06, 04:36 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RaGsHoCkEy88 @ March 4, 2006, 12:38 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
threaten to call the district manager....that will have them begging
[/b][/quote]

The point is that you shouldn't have to do that, who wants to screw with calling a district manager everytime you go in for service. They should be "begging" when you plop down $22000-$32000 (depending on what you opt to get) for the car in the first place.
Old 3/4/06, 08:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

And the Big 3 wonder why they are getting their a*s kicked by the foreign cars. I sympathize with you. I have 2 local dealers and their service departments both suck. I am fed up to the point of considering switching brands...but I wont buy foreign so that just leaves me with 2 other jacka*s auto makers. Same bullpoo, different bull.
Old 3/4/06, 03:00 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Could this have been the problem??

http://www.muscle-mustangs.com/forums/atta...89&d=1141426572