2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Parking brake cable snaps and the warranty fun that ensues

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/06, 05:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the first "major" issue with my GT.

I pull into my Ford dealer for a tire rotation, get into the garage, pull up the parking brake and "SNAP" no more parking brake. The service guy kinda gives me a "wtf" look, and says well I guess we'll be seeing you tomorrow.

So, cut to tomorrow ( today ) -- I drop my car off to have the brake fixed and the tires rotated, should be done by the end of the day. Oh, if only.

I get a call at work -- "I'm sorry, we can't cover your parking brake under warranty since you painted your calipers" -- As a note, the calipers were never removed during the painting process, although he accused me of removing them. I asked him to show me the bolt mars from putting the bolts back to torque, of which he immediately dropped the subject and tried a new approach.

I immediately leave work, and raise heck with the service manager. I calmly ask him to explain how painted calipers snapped and frayed the parking brake cable at the linkage joint near the driveshaft.

He said I must have tampered with it, or cut it with some wire cutters.

I was completely flabbergasted, and immediately layed into him. I got the general manager out, and had the service guy try and explain why I was going to be charged for this. He pretty clearly told the service manager that I was not going to pay for this, and it was quite obviously a problem with the vehicle.

The service manager tried to recoup explaining that maybe someone vandalized my vehicle, wishing me malice. Okay, maybe, but how many people can fit under a GT, stretch to the drive shaft housing and cut a rather thick steel cable blind. Not to mention, if someone wanted to render my brakes useless, wouldn't they just cut my actual brakes, and not my damned parking brake?

Give me a break. No pun intended.

Well, theoretically the car will be repaired tomorrow at no expense to me. I just can't believe I even needed to talk to this guy about this junk.
Old 3/1/06, 06:03 PM
V6 Member

I don't know why the guy would even care how it broke. He gets payed either way, just get it fixed.
Old 3/1/06, 06:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You probally could have gone on some rant about safety too, if they kept being monkeys.
Old 3/1/06, 06:26 PM
Big Falken Tires

A-whole

PLain and simple - darn man........ sorry you had to deal with that crap! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]
Old 3/1/06, 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Lemme ask you this, have you had the car in shop for any service in the past like the frozen ebrake issue?
Old 3/1/06, 06:34 PM
V6 Member

Miike,
You evidently purchased your GT from the wrong dealer. Don't make that mistake again!
Old 3/1/06, 06:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the most clueless dealership employee I've ever heard of, but it easily makes the top 5 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 3/1/06, 07:58 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

slam them in your Ford Service questionnaire you will be getting in the mail
Old 3/1/06, 08:07 PM
Cobra Member

Drive your car through the front window and aim for the FORD GT Heritage addition. Set the car on fire. Be arrested, make bail and take a plane ride somewhere throughout the U.S. It doesn't matter what the destination of the flight is since you won't actually get off the plane, standing up. Oh well, don't rehash history.
Old 3/1/06, 08:08 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dustindu4 @ March 1, 2006, 9:01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
slam them in your Ford Service questionnaire you will be getting in the mail
[/b][/quote]

+1
Old 3/1/06, 08:45 PM
Cobra Member

What a jerk. I removed the calipers to paint them, SO? What is the difference they are removable for maintence service anyway. Whats the point? That has nothing to do with a parking brake cable snapping at any location.
Old 3/1/06, 08:45 PM
GTR Member

most people have a problem with either the dealer or the service dept. i had an excellent experience with the dealer only to have it ruined by the pooty service dept. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img] Glad you stood your ground.We are freakin angry and were not gonna take it anymore [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/box2.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headbob.gif[/img]
Old 3/1/06, 08:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like someone needs a kick in the ding ding! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ball_kick.gif[/img]
Old 3/1/06, 09:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

I feel very fortunate to have chosen a Dealer who has excellent Sales and Service departments (and a Performance Division helps too).
Old 3/1/06, 09:04 PM
Cobra Member

Ford service departments really need a looking into. I still haven't found one I'm happy about giving my business to.

Thats really rediculous, had I not seen the level of ineptitude in Ford service departments with my own eye's I would be thinking this was a BS story. But it actually sounds about right from what I've experianced so far with Ford service techs.
Old 3/1/06, 10:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed, Ford service departments are horrible. Good thing I know mechanics and people at Sears or have some knowlegde myself. I can't wait til I have a warranty issue. My service dept couldn't even diagnose a BENT subframe when you could see the crease and the bolt marks. And they still charged me for an alignment even though I told them the problem when I got there and asked them to look at it and tell me what needed to be fixed.
Old 3/1/06, 10:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

What I don't understand wouldn't the dealer get paid regardless if the car is under warranty. Why would they go out of there way to make up something stupid like that.
Old 3/2/06, 12:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Was no joke 4 different stories within a 10 minute timespan. The service manager literally had no clue, and the GM had to explain to him that if there is no tension on the line, the parts that hook onto the back of the brake assembly in the rears go slack. You'd think being the head of service, this would be apparent.

Oh well. Nice to know if I change my brake pads myself, or have another garage do them, that will be grounds for voiding my entire brake system according to him. We'll see.

And yes, he is getting slammed on the evaluation.
Old 3/2/06, 03:09 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TexaStang @ March 2, 2006, 8:33 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Nice to know if I change my brake pads myself, or have another garage do them, that will be grounds for voiding my entire brake system according to him. We'll see.
[/b][/quote]

I just called my service manager and asked him whether changing the brake pads on my own would void the warranty for the entire brake system. He said no, unless it can be proven that an improper re-mounting of the calipers or faulty pads have caused damage to the car or have been the cause of an accident. I told him about your story with the painted calipers and he just laughed. It's like blaming vinyl stipes for chipped paint.
I was just about to order a set of ceramic brake pads when your topic came up. It's good to know they're not all that strict. I'm guessing your SM didn't know what he was talking about.
Old 3/2/06, 05:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know that many of you out there have had bad experiences with Ford dealer Service departments, but we are not all bad. I have been with Ford for 22 years and yes, I have heard horror stories much like you have related above.
You definitely have a legitimate gripe (there is a TSB related to boot deterioration of the park brake cable, although in Texas I am not sure if that contributed to the failure.) I am glad that you stood your ground-definitely send back that survey and tell Ford what you feel. Where I work the result of surveys can make up one-third of our compensation. Be sure to give detailed comments as well.

Quick Reply: Parking brake cable snaps and the warranty fun that ensues