2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

nitrous plus a supercharger???

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/06, 11:08 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nitrous plus a supercharger???

i am in the process of saving up for a procharger, and i have a nitrous kit i bought as well, but havent installed yet. is it a good idea to mix the two, or am i gonna blow something up?
Old 10/14/06, 05:02 AM
V6 Member

Either of the two, the supercharger or nitrous, have the ability to create a lean condition that could blow a motor up in fractions of a second if not tuned properly or monitored properly.

You have to insure you have plenty of fuel delivery capabilities, fuel pump, injector size, proper fuel pressure etc. At the very minimum, in my opinion, they both, or alone, require a tune completed on a dyno. I would not trust a tune sent in email, not that those tunes are not good as I am considering getting those types of tunes but my car will not have a supercharger or nitrous.

The other item I would consider a requirement so you don’t blow the motor is to properly monitor the motor. That would mean at least a good A/F (Air/Fuel) gauge, or exhaust temperature gauge and fuel pressure gauge.

If your under boost and you’re A/F goes lean you can blow a motor. If your under nitrous and you’re A/F goes lean you can blow a motor, if your under boost and nitrous and go lean you WILL blow a motor.

The other thing to consider other then lean conditions is how much horsepower to two will add to the motor. If you’re going about 425hp or so you will want to beef it up with forged internals.

The one thing not so great about your standard, non-progressive nitrous delivery is it can be very hard on any type of motor N/A or supercharger equipped. Most nitrous kits are not progressive, meaning they don’t deliver the nitrous in a progressive manner starting with a little then adding they just dump the nitrous into the motor and it IS a big shock on the motor and that is hard on a N/A motor now take into consideration your under boost and dump the nitrous in you could possibly blow a motor making 425hp or less.

If it were me pursuing this I would talk to a few professional engine builders AND tuners and see what their recommendations are as most of us here, myself included, are just self educated and NOT done any of this professional and therefore can NOT look at the big picture or all the variables to give you the proper advice on how to keep your motor safe with these two big horsepower adders…
Old 10/14/06, 12:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
welll....I've heard of those Twin Turbo Vipers running on NOS....so it must be possible.
Old 10/14/06, 12:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

not on our engines..

with both you will blow the motor. it is only a matter of time. even with a perfect tune, the amount of stress you will be putting on the powedered rods and pistons is extreme. they just cant handle it. if you build a motor, thats a different story
Old 10/14/06, 03:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wouldn't do it on a stock motor. As far as generally mixing nitrous and superchargers, it's a really good idea. The nitrous has a cooling affect that a blower will LOVE. You usually see small shots 50-75 on some blower cars.