The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   New to us 2006 Mustang GT Convertible (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/new-us-2006-mustang-gt-convertible-531672/)

S2kpuddydad 7/12/14 09:23 PM

New to us 2006 Mustang GT Convertible

Hi all, new to the forum:)
I bought a 06 GT convertible with 5speed manual. The car has 71k miles and is 100% bone stock. The car is in nice condition and runs and drives well.
After inspecting the car it looks to never of had any type of service performed other than oil changes. I wanted to make sure it would be a reliable driver so this is a list of everything I have done to the car so far,

Mobil-1 5w20 oil change 6 quarts with Mobil-1 filter

Transmission flush and fill with automatic/manual trans fluid
Mobil-1 synthetic Mercon V

Differential clean out and re-seal oil change 75/140 synthetic
Amsoil saver gear, Ford friction modifier addictive

Brake/clutch master cylinder clean, flush and fill
Valvoline synthetic DOT 3-4

Power steering reservoir and screen clean out, flush and fill
Valvoline Mercon V none synthetic

Radiator cooling system complete flush and fill 2 gal.
Ford Gold antifreeze

Spectre brand rechargeable engine air filter

Fuel filter replacement with made in USA Ford Motorcraft filter

Spark plugs (8) replaced Ford Motorcraft platinum plugs

Tie rod ends waterproof greased, torn rubber boots replaced with Energy Suspension urethane boots
Greased all chases grease fittings

Inspected, greased and lubricated all brake components,
original brakes at 40%

Lubricated, greased convertible top assembly

Clean and service MAF sensor

New windshield wipers

S2kpuddydad 7/13/14 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The next thing, tires....The tires on the car are shot and need replacing. I am looking at BFG Comp-2 G-force the BFG T/A KDWS
General G-Max AS-03 and the GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 max summer performance.
The car has the Billet 18 inch chrome 5 spoke wheels and tire size is 235-50-18"
Need a great wet traction tire.

NC14GT 7/13/14 08:39 AM

Outside of the 'upside down' photo you are PERFECT!! Nice job with everything :nice:
Since you are in FL I would recommend the Goodyear you listed. Outstanding, especially in the wet. Handles heat very well too. I had the GS-D3 on my T/A and was stunned at the superb traction. The rear end can swing out way worse on the T/A than the GT so it should be even better and an excellent choice for the Mustang. I have the A/S Goodyear Eagles on my GT here in the mountains due to the winter months. Love 'em! Best of luck with everything!

MadGT 7/13/14 09:37 AM

No issues replacing the spark plugs?

S2kpuddydad 7/13/14 09:37 AM

Great, thank you. I almost bought a 1987 Monte Carlo SS new, in 1987 it was white with Blue Velore interior and T-tops I had a order in for a 1987 notch back LX 5.0 Mustang 5speed.
Not sure why the pic is upside down but I'm a knob at computer stuff:D

I also bought a new factory Ford hood scoop just need to paint it.

S2kpuddydad 7/13/14 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by MadGT (Post 6827344)
No issues replacing the spark plugs?

I found out about the horror stories after I bought the car but, I had no issue with pulling them. They made a lot of noise coming out but they all came out in one piece. I used Anti-seize on the new ones before installing them. The plugs that came out of the car were all fusion welded just like the new once I put back in. I don't think these plugs will break like the early stuff did as they were just tack Welded from what I understand.

lowblustang00 7/13/14 05:42 PM

You certainly seem to have taken care of all possible maintenance points. Congrats on the find.

I have never seen one with the rare antigravity package ;-)

houtex 7/13/14 05:48 PM

Don't you guys know an Australian Mustang when you see one?

:D

Pretty pretty car! :nice:

lowblustang00 7/13/14 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by houtex (Post 6827547)
Don't you guys know an Australian Mustang when you see one? :D Pretty pretty car! :nice:

Good one :-)

S2kpuddydad 7/13/14 07:10 PM

It was the best way I found to get McD's French frys out from under the seats:D

The only issue I had with the car was it had no low end throttle response when first taking off. The car would hesitate or stumble a bit and then go, made it hard to get clutch engagement right. I was feeling like I needed to relearn driving a V8 stick:screwy: ended up being the MAF sensor was dirty. After cleaning it, it made a night and day difference in how the car responded. Take off from a light was effortless and smooth and the car had a lot more power as a V8 should:chirp:

NC14GT 7/14/14 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by S2kpuddydad (Post 6827345)
Great, thank you. I almost bought a 1987 Monte Carlo SS new, in 1987 it was white with Blue Velore interior and T-tops I had a order in for a 1987 notch back LX 5.0 Mustang 5speed.
Not sure why the pic is upside down but I'm a knob at computer stuff:D

I also bought a new factory Ford hood scoop just need to paint it.

Since you are a fan of the '87 SS you might like this link. I (my car) was just featured in the Old Cars weekly edition. http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/car-of-the-week/car-week-1

S2kpuddydad 7/14/14 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS (Post 6827684)
Since you are a fan of the '87 SS you might like this link. I (my car) was just featured in the Old Cars weekly edition. http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/car-of-the-week/car-week-1

Wow, congrats....very nice. I remember when that car came out, Pontiac and Oldsmobile had Version of the aero coup as well.

Paris MkVI 7/15/14 07:27 AM

An excellent Mustang selection.

Of course, I might be a little biased.

Glenn 7/15/14 07:31 PM

Congrats on the new ride Welcome to TMS and did you clean the throttle body too?

S2kpuddydad 7/16/14 02:05 PM

I did not touch the throttlebody I did run some Fuel injection cleaner through the gas tank.

GrnT 7/16/14 05:23 PM

Congrats and hello. Nice Vert.

Glenn 7/16/14 07:32 PM

You might want to take a look at it when you have some time. It will make a difference if it is all dirty.

lovemeng 7/16/14 09:57 PM

Nice car, you did a good job!

NC14GT 7/21/14 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by S2kpuddydad (Post 6828772)
I did not touch the throttlebody I did run some Fuel injection cleaner through the gas tank.

I do that every year too (Chevron Techron) and pick it up when it is on sale for about $5 or $6 a bottle. I also use HEET (the red bottle) every other month in all my cars to keep the condensation out of the gas tank. It works great! Only $2 per bottle at Walmart when you get the 4 pack.

AzPete 7/21/14 08:35 AM

Wondering what you gave for the car....a friend of mine has an '06 GT vert, triple black auto with about half the miles. He keeps asking me to see what they are selling for because he is thinking of getting out of the Mustang due to health reasons. PM me if you want privacy on it. Thanks.