The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   New noise. Sounds like road noise. '06 Auto (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/new-noise-sounds-like-road-noise-06-auto-509742/)

woody24 6/6/12 08:06 AM

New noise. Sounds like road noise. '06 Auto

I've been getting a new noise this past week. It sounds a lot like road noise. From tires with a little bit more tread than the standard tire. But nothing's changed.

The sound is speed related. Meaning, the faster the revs doesn't matter. The faster the speed of the car, the higher pitched the sound gets. I don't feel any vibration from either the steering wheel, or brakes.

The sound becomes noticeable when I get around 35-40mph. And when I hit 80, its so loud I back it down because I'm afraid whatever it is, is going to brake.

As a possible related issue, when I park in my driveway with a slight slope, its almost now impossible to pull the gear out of park. Its been getting progressively harder, and the other day, I didn't even think I was going to get it out. But I have no problem parking on a flat surface. So I'm guessing thats its just resting back on the stop.

But back to the new "road noise" problem. I've checked the tires, from what I can see myself anyways. They look fine. And are less than a year old anyways. I've checked the tire pressure. The sound is consistant whether the windows are rolled up or down. The noise also doesn't change with the different types of roads. So I know its something with the car. Just not sure what.

I'd like to get a better idea of what this noise can be, so that I can go to the shop with somewhat of a clue. But figured someone has to have had the same kind of issue. This car is an '06 and has about 64k miles on it. I did get into a little fender bender over a year ago, where my front drivers-side was hit. Bumper and front panel, brakes and wheel were the only pieces replaced. But that was a year ago, and this noise is new.

Any ideas?

05YellowGT 6/6/12 09:17 AM

Maybe front wheel bearings ?

woody24 6/6/12 09:27 AM

Possible. Which reminds me that while cruising at 60mph, if the road bends sharp enough to the left, the sound disappears. But to the right, it doesn't disappear.

Which makes me think that the sound might only be coming from the front passenger wheel.

larry nelson 6/6/12 09:57 AM

Spot on! Would most likely be it!

woody24 6/11/12 08:16 AM

Sound seems to be getting a tad bit louder. I haven't been able to drop it off at the dealer yet. One, I don't really have any way to get a ride to and from work, and especially if they need to keep it over night, or for a few days. And two, the dealer said they charge $114 just to do an estimate. Seems a little excessive to me. They did say that that price does go towards the cost of repair. But what if its something really dumb, and its a $5 part? And all they had to do was screw it on?

Should I take this to the dealer? or is there a better place to take it? I got my tires from a Goodyear store a year ago. Would they be any better at diagnosing the problem, and fixing it?

woody24 6/13/12 01:13 PM

wheel bearings was the noise. Thanks 05YellowGT

05YellowGT 6/13/12 01:18 PM

You're welcome , I had to replace mine a couple of years ago and it sounded the same :)