The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   Need some guidance here from some vets (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/need-some-guidance-here-some-vets-437284/)

05MustangFanII 7/10/06 11:54 PM

Need some guidance here from some vets

My aunt is going to be ordering her 2007 soon, which will prompt 'Hally' to be given to a relative.

Anyway, we've decided on everything, except the one, biggest thing.

Automatic, or stickshift?

Here's where it gets complicated. Back when it first came out, and the Grand AM was still around, she test drove a black 2005 Mustang GT 5spd. Loved it, but she had a small mishap. While shifting into 5th on the Freeway, a Honda Ridgeline came flying up in the suicide lane, and cut over, missing the bumper of the black Mustang by CENTIMETERS. she somehow killed the car, probably let off the choke before completing the shift. Anywho, she slams it in neutral, has it started in miliseconds, runs through all the gears, flys by the Honda, giving the driver a one-fingered salute, and heads on her way. She hates herself deep inside for that, because she used to be **** good at it, and never killed it before. (mind you this was the first stick she'd ever driven in 12 years, since her 1993 Cobra).

On the other hand, on another test drive in an 06 Mustang GT Auto, I was there this time, we rode along since her back was being a ***** that day. I'll admit, that Automatic has some balls. But, still, the one point we agree on is you'll be able to control that 4.6 3v better with the 5spd.

To further complicate the decision, she has gout, athritis in both hands and her back, and, well, that makes stick driving a tad diffacult.

We talked earlier, and she said she likes both, and would love a stick, but the Auto would definately be more comfy. We ended it at that.

I've been the main stick supporter, but I want her to be comfortable, but, we both want uber performance.

What would ya'll do in this situation? And can I have some performance #'s of a stick vs an Auto. In a vert.

FiaCobra 7/11/06 12:00 AM

Answer is simple: Get the AUTOMATIC

Lokius 7/11/06 12:17 AM

for her needs, automatic :)

FireFighterHill 7/11/06 01:32 AM

Automatic, I love my stick but with those medical problems it wouldnt be fun all the time.

ISELLFORD 7/11/06 05:21 AM

As much fun as the stick is, I would recommend the automatic in her case.

95SVTCobraVA 7/11/06 05:30 AM

I drive a stick but it sounds like she NEEDS a auto.

WarBird69 7/11/06 06:15 AM

I'm gonna vote for the auto as well.

Radman 7/11/06 06:48 AM

Auto. I got the auto for the wife and honestly don't regret it. Once I get a tune I have a feeling I'll regret it even less.

Cheese302 7/11/06 08:34 AM

personally the day i cant drive stick for any reason, i will no longer drive. But it seems like you guys are going with the slushbox.

it will still be a sweet car. and there is no reason to have the manual if your going to be uncomfortable driving.

antdog 7/11/06 08:37 AM

automatic

EleanorsMine 7/11/06 08:42 AM

Auto.
its not near as bad as I thought it was going to be.

MY05GT 7/11/06 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by EleanorsMine
Auto.
its not near as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Not exactly a screaming endorsement.:-D

I would not be without my manual transmission. However with the problems she has the auto sounds like a great compromise. I have heard Doug, Lidio, and some others have done some great things to improve " The Slushbox" as it was called. Good luck!

FireFighterHill 7/11/06 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cheese302
personally the day i cant drive stick for any reason, i will no longer drive. But it seems like you guys are going with the slushbox.

it will still be a sweet car. and there is no reason to have the manual if your going to be uncomfortable driving.

If I have to pick between a Auto or not driving at all, I think ill take the auto. With a good tune it can kick some @$$.

karrnutt 7/11/06 10:26 AM

I,too, wanted stick but an arthritic left knee made shifting very painful. I got auto and couldn't be happier . It rips off good clean shifts and is very comfortable whatever your driving style.

EleanorsMine 7/11/06 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by MY05GT
Not exactly a screaming endorsement.:-D

I would not be without my manual transmission. However with the problems she has the auto sounds like a great compromise. I have heard Doug, Lidio, and some others have done some great things to improve " The Slushbox" as it was called. Good luck!

Well... I wasn't anticipating driving an auto mustang, but Eleanor was a Christmas present. I thought it would be hell on earth, but the auto has a lot of fun in it also.

stangster 7/11/06 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cheese302

If the auto keeps her driving a stang, get the auto! I have a 5 spd, but drove the auto as well. It's no slouch, and for her, sounds like the way to go.

MY05GT 7/11/06 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by EleanorsMine
Well... I wasn't anticipating driving an auto mustang, but Eleanor was a Christmas present. I thought it would be hell on earth, but the auto has a lot of fun in it also.

Thats better....sounds more like you like it.

If i had a bum knee or something, like others, I would rather have the auto than be without, but until then ......

TexaStang 7/11/06 12:30 PM

I would always reccomend the 5 speed, but, since she has arthiritis get the automatic.

Driving the Mustang should be a pleasure, if it hurts to drive it, then that will just ruin in. Just get her a CAI and a tune from Doug to perk the auto up =)

EleanorsMine 7/11/06 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by MY05GT
Thats better....sounds more like you like it.

If i had a bum knee or something, like others, I would rather have the auto than be without, but until then ......

Love her so much I am getting her a girlfriend in September. :hail: But this one has to be manual so I can have the best of both worlds.

Tres Wright 7/11/06 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by 05MustangFanII

While shifting into 5th on the Freeway, a Honda Ridgeline came flying up in the suicide lane, and cut over, missing the bumper of the black Mustang by CENTIMETERS. she somehow killed the car, probably let off the choke before completing the shift. Anywho, she slams it in neutral, has it started in miliseconds

If you drive a stick and somehow it dies on the freeway while the clutch is depressed, NEVER EVER shift it to neutral and try to restart it! The proper technique to restart a manual tranny car is simple, leave it in gear and let the clutch back out!!

I agree with the others, she needs an automatic based on her medical issues. Actually if she has gout and arthritis, she should probably be looking at a car that's easier to get into and out of.