The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   need advise on used mustang V6 (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/need-advise-used-mustang-v6-545296/)

wayne64li 3/11/18 06:31 PM

need advise on used mustang V6

I'm looking to purchase a used mustang with a v6 for my daughter. The engine has 155,000. Interior and exterior is mint. I'm worried about the mileage. How do these motors hold up? do you think this mileage is too much?

wayne64li 3/11/18 06:42 PM

Its a 2007 v6

Buckshot Barry 3/12/18 06:59 AM

Here are some known issues of 2007 V6's

Cracked lower thermostat housing, so there is coolant leaking

Water leak on the front passenger side kick panel area. Check for rear brake light issues and moisture in the carpet area

Thunking sound when going over speed bumps. That is the upper shock supports. If it's a late model 2007 it will have the front crossmember support bracket and that helps to prevent the front thunking sound.

Please don't let the above 3 items deter your purchase if all looks good. Other than the thermostat housing they are present on the 4.6 V8 too.

The 4.6 V8 had the issues of broken 2-Piece spark plugs when removing. Us V6'ers don't have that problem. Hope this helps.

hobojack 3/12/18 12:23 PM

If it is an automatic, I would ask to see service records for the transmission. Mine took a dump at 117,000. It now has 133,000 and runs strong.

NC14GT 3/15/18 09:19 AM

I've never seen a MINT anything with that kind of mileage. Are you sure?? 150k+ miles are too many miles IMO. If I had a daughter, no way. Too many things to fail and leave her stranded. While even a new car can leave someone stranded, the odds are greatly reduced with a well cared for one or two owner ride with a lot less miles.
It's all about the finances too. If you don't have the $$, then decisions & choices are very limited.

mrkabc 3/18/18 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS (Post 7026637)
I've never seen a MINT anything with that kind of mileage. Are you sure?? 150k+ miles are too many miles IMO. If I had a daughter, no way. Too many things to fail and leave her stranded. While even a new car can leave someone stranded, the odds are greatly reduced with a well cared for one or two owner ride with a lot less miles.
It's all about the finances too. If you don't have the $$, then decisions & choices are very limited.

+1 to this. I will not get my daughter an 11 year old car no matter how well cared for it was... too many unknowns. And this is coming from someone who loves his 2005 'Stang!

stupidgenius36 3/19/18 08:02 PM

I wouldn't do it. Unless she's mechanically inclined and likes working on cars, I wouldn't even entertain getting her that car. As much as I love my 2005, I don't trust letting the wife drive it alone. It's just not reliable enough.

Biggest reliability issue for me is the alternator. It dies every 2 years... and I do mean *every* 2.

stang09 3/22/18 11:16 AM

I think the mileage isn't that bad I bought my daughter an 05 mustang with 122.000 miles. and the shaker radio has tone replaced I had the oil change and transmission service it is and automatic convertible the battery had to be changed as well as the alternator and brakes.and it had a electrical short on the the passenger side fuse box got that fixed as well. the v6 4.0 is strong and running fine everything else works have a mechanic go over it the before you purchase it.

simon777 4/25/18 05:37 PM

Personally, I'd walk away from one with 155k as even in the best of hands, odds are you'll be throwing parts at it soon enough potentially more often than you'd like compared to a lower mileage vehicle. I'd try to get a maintenance log from the owner if they have one to see how often they're having to fix something on it to get an idea of what you'll be getting into.

CtCarl 4/26/18 06:54 AM

After reading most of the replies, I have to say, I'm grateful that so many people embrace the theory that accumulated mileage is the one and only way to judge a used car's condition.

It's especially gratifying to see that theory shared online. Because of it, I've been able to buy many high-mileage cars over the years at bargain prices.

The worst-running cars I've ever owned have all been low-mileage garage queens, and the best-running were the ones with mileage so high, most buyers would turn up their noses at them.

So to the "low mileage always good, high mileage always bad" folks...thanks! Don't you go changin`!

stang09 4/26/18 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36 (Post 7026853)
I wouldn't do it. Unless she's mechanically inclined and likes working on cars, I wouldn't even entertain getting her that car. As much as I love my 2005, I don't trust letting the wife drive it alone. It's just not reliable enough.

Biggest reliability issue for me is the alternator. It dies every 2 years... and I do mean *every* 2.

you have an electrical short in the car

Bert 4/26/18 06:25 PM

My daughter drives a 2006 Camry with 225,000 miles on it. Yes I do worry a little . . . but dang that thing is amazingly reliable. I have owned it since new, changed the oil on schedule with Mobil 1, done the other minimal maintenance when needed, and most of the miles are highway miles.

I know a Camry is not the same thing as a Mustang, but these cars have the potential to be very reliable with fairly high mileage; they are not throw-aways at 100K miles like "back in the day."

If I am not mistaken, the 4.0 V6 is basically a truck engine and should run for a very long time if maintained fairly well.

Yes there are no guarantees . . . but I am with Carl, high mileage is not a deal killer if the rest is good.