2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My 2005/6 mustang test drive exp

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/05, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of us that plan to buy a new mustang in San Diego, CA listen up ... for others enjoy

So I flew down to so cal to hang with the fam and friends and check out the 34-10 rout at the stadium. My brother is curious about mustangs and other cars so I went on a little recon mission with him.

GOAL - Test drive a 2006 V6 5 speed mustang

We hit Bob Baker Ford in Mission Valley and immediately got the shafter; their ad claimed a ton of mustangs in stock but all they had was a few out on the lot and one was a 5 speed. Lime Green, not my color but I wanted to try a 5 speed to see what it is like. Much to my poor hindsight ( it was a GT stripped down completely ). The salesman told me it was a GT and I backed off not caring but he added that they wont test drive Mustang GTs unless you run a credit report.

WTF????

I told him that the mustang is a common car, a good car, but really ... not something that you would stack up against a carrera GT, Ford GT, and many other 100K cars etc. They said they want to keep the miles low. Well ... I dismissed them and left.

The next day I went to Kearny Mesa Ford and was treated like royalty. I got to drive both ... a 5 speed V6 and V8. To my satisfaction, the V8 drove so much better ( must be those 90 extra horses ). Well I also attributed that I have not driven a manual in a few months since I sold my vette. The GT shifted much better

... and no credit history check ...

I think Drew Ford is another good place to hook up with Mustangs but maybe next time I will hit their lot.

both cars were premium packages with 18" wheels, indian fire red ( the same color I am painting my 1969 ), leather; just really nice cars. If only my garage was big enough but I am waiting until 2009 to get one; I am camping on a new Boss mustang.

Go Chargers

OUT
Old 12/5/05, 04:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The credit check seems kinda odd doesn't it . ? At least you found a good dealer to deal with.
Old 12/5/05, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Thats the whole thing with Car Dealerships; most of them are horrible; they are only educated in how to fill out the credit app ... good luck to you in getting a technical question answered. I mean when I went to Bob Baker Ford, they told me the GT came with a six speed auto. No wonder I left.

shop well

eeeeeeeeee
Old 12/5/05, 06:06 PM
GT Member

To really test them (Baker Ford) see if they let you test a Ford 500 first. Since those are nailed to the lots they may have to pry 'em loose and put air in the tires from sitting so long. If they want a credit check for that then they're not dealing.

Nevertheless Kearny Mesa Ford certainly treated you better and they deserve
credit for letting you actually test drive the Stangs.
Old 12/5/05, 08:32 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FORD's sales are in the pooter right now so any dealership that gives people a hard time is just plain stupid IMO
Old 12/5/05, 11:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I will never let a dealership run my credit. Someone can have the worst credit in the world and have the cash to buy the car or have no cash and have the best credit score. I didn't get to test drive a mustang until I recieved mine. There wasn't any on the lots around here, they sale as fast as they are ordered and come in. I'm glad you got to check out the differences between the cars and the dealerships.

Just my opinion.

Jon
Old 12/6/05, 10:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks

I have been giving thought to buying a V6 5-speed and tuning it into a performer; it seems like you get a good base to start with or maybe its just a crazy idea to have; i mean when I drove the V8; well more power, better handling, smoother shifting made me forget the V6 for a while.

I am still very undecided and very much commited to my restoration project sooooo

maybe in 2009? Boss? Pleaseeeeeee
Old 12/6/05, 04:03 PM

I've been to dealers that were really cool, and even eager, to go on test drives. And I've also been to ones that don't care, and seemingly don't want to sell cars. I went to check out the GTO and the salesman was non-responsive, so I walked...thank god. Never driven a GTO, I'm sure they're great cars. I now have a GT, which I got to test drive. Coincidence, I think not!

I usually just assume that salesmen don't know jack about the cars they are selling, that's why I do my own research. I was told once that this 2004 gt (special edition of some sort) had a 4-valve engine. I got all excited, I asked him to pop the hood so I could see. Low and behold...2-valve heads! Seriously, thats an obvious one.

Ryan
Old 12/6/05, 08:15 PM

I have to say that Teri at Mossy Ford in San Diego is the best to work with. I just purchased my '06 black GT with the 18" bullits from her 2 weeks and have been loving it ever since. She is the most knowledgeable and courteous salesperson I have dealt with. El Cajon Ford is still marking GTs up $5K, why I can't imagine.