The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   Mustang Returns to Road-Racing, 5.0-Liter Roots... (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/mustang-returns-road-racing-5-0-liter-roots-386287/)

moneyman 4/5/04 02:21 PM

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=17999

Opening paragraphs:

* A tribute to 40 years of performance, Mustang GT-R concept celebrates famous "Yellow Mustangs," features 440-horsepower "Cammer" crate engine and athletic handling
* Retains 85 percent of 2005 Mustang’s body components and reinforced versions of the race-inspired suspension designs.
* Nearly ready for a variety of race series, or could be offered to weekend warriors as an affordable, factory-supplied race package.

NEW YORK, April 7, 2004 – The muscular Ford Mustang GT-R rekindles the legend’s road racing glory and the magic of 5.0-liter Mustangs in a stunning racing concept making its world debut today. The Mustang GT-R signals a potential future race car, while honoring four decades of performance glory just days before Mustang’s 40th anniversary.

"The Mustang GT-R blends today’s breathtaking design, Ford Racing’s unmatched history and the most advanced racing technology into the ultimate Mustang," says J Mays, Ford group vice president, design. "Mustang’s iconic image grew with every checkered flag so we think the Mustang GT-R is an appropriate tribute to the car’s 40th anniversary, and a hint at what’s to come."

moneyman 4/5/04 02:23 PM

Another photo:

moneyman 4/5/04 02:24 PM

One more:

moneyman 4/5/04 02:25 PM

Final one:

rhumb 4/5/04 03:55 PM

The muscular Ford Mustang GT-R rekindles the legend’s road racing glory and the magic of 5.0-liter Mustangs in a stunning racing concept making its world debut today.
Ah, that much is music to my ears. These forums all to often are so drag race oriented that the Mustang's original conception away from the muscle cars of its day and also its extensive road racing history, beginning with the Shelby GT350s, often seems to get short thrift.

But for those of us who see accelerating away from the line as but the first few moments of a long, spirited drive -- not an end unto itself -- will take delight that Ford is choosing to emphasize this aspect of the Mustang's personality with the first specialty version, even before the production model even hits the street.

The buggy axle is still a bit of a disappointment, but I expect it to be world's better than the horror bracing up the hiney of the current Stang and will withhold final judgement untill seat time -- on a bumpy, twisty road for a proper workout, not some creampuff billiards-smooth macadam that wouldn't challange any suspension, even the current car's.

Whether Ford actually does go with a full 5.0 cammer, or a similar level of tune but in size 4.6, this does bode well for Ford's seriousness in making this a serious performance car beyond a one-trick-pony drag car.

ZwerRacing 4/5/04 04:08 PM

I feel i might sound stupid but what exactly is a cammer is it a type of engine or a ford trademark type engine like the power stroke desil?

rhumb 4/5/04 04:18 PM

Originally posted by ZwerRacing@Apr. 5th, 2004, 4:11 PM
I feel i might sound stupid but what exactly is a cammer is it a type of engine or a ford trademark type engine like the power stroke desil?
Basically, it's just a knickname that got attached to some 5.0 versions of the Mod motor, which are all overhead cam anyway. Probably some reference to the old 427 "Cammer," which was a rare overhead cam version of the old FE series 427. I'm not sure if its even an official name or one that just sort of got affixed to the 5 liter Mod motors.

jarradasay 4/5/04 04:38 PM

Someone asked about the bump in the hood at some point in time. It doesnt look like the cammer sticks up high enough to necessitate one, but look at the intake manifold. If there is a production version of this Race concept released it will more then likely not have dual intakes. I imagine ford would use a similar intake to the 05 design. Maybe not, but if they did that would necessitate a Higher Intake manifold to clear pulleys, piping etc. Enter the bump. Not fact, but something I saw.

Boomer 4/5/04 04:55 PM

hehe
"That thang got a cammer?"

ManEHawke 4/5/04 07:32 PM

Im a semi-newbie when it comes to car technology, but im learning.
Can someone tell me what a cammer is and what it does. It looks attached to the intake but im not clear on it.

crazyhorse 4/5/04 07:37 PM

Sorry if too basic. Don't know how "newbie" you are.

The cam turns with the crankshaft. It has egg shaped "cams" on it. Those cams are over the valves. As the cams rotate, they raise and lower the valves, which opens and closes them.

From what I understand, "the Cammer" is a nickname given a long time ago to a 427 overhead cam engine. This engine has overhead cams and adopted the nickname.

ManEHawke 4/5/04 07:42 PM

oh just a nickname? ok then forget about my question, I was thinking it was something more technical
Guess i just noticed someone else asked it. shouldve read all of the thread. :jester:

Horsepower844182 4/5/04 07:53 PM

I've changed my mind...That really is one "trick" pony.

95SVTCobraVA 4/5/04 07:56 PM

Built at Saleen Special Vehicles in Troy, Mich., the car was developed by the same members of the Ford GT "Dream Team" who are building sub-assemblies and painting body panels for Ford’s first supercar.
I thought it was interesting that Saleen was involved in this project.

B) B) B)

hippy 4/6/04 04:09 PM

The nickname implies overhead cams I believe, as opposed to a pushrod style engine. The advantage of overhead cams are that you typically have a more rev happy engine. Disadvantages are the huge size of the cylinder heads, higher mechanical complexity and cost to build/upgrade certain components (i.e. 2 or 4 camshafts instead of just 1)

Joes66Pony 4/6/04 06:00 PM

Can somebody please explain to me why a road racing Mustang costing over 40,000 does not have Independent Rear Suspension?!?

Fer chrissakes Ford...if you're going road racing...STOP LISTENING TO THE DRAG RACERS!!

:angry: