The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   The Mustang is a girl's car. (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/mustang-girls-car-391455/)

joeuser42 10/5/04 12:03 PM

Yeah, I thought that would get your attention. That is what Forbes said about it.

Forbes article

adrenalin 10/5/04 12:06 PM

From the article "But the real threat to Mustang's future success is the conflict between the buyers and the builders. The Mustang is a "girl's car." Most Mustangs had six cylinders, and many buyers have been women. Why? Because it was a good-looking car for not much money, and young women had good taste and not much money. But the boys who built it wanted it hot, with bigger V-8s and more speed. They called the car the Boss, the Cobra, the Mach 1. More weight and cost chased away the customers who bought the car. Could it happen again? Absolutely. The designers can't wait to turn up the power."

Other than that it was a good write up, but did you see how old the guy was that wrote it :jester:

adrenalin 10/5/04 12:08 PM

He also states "Well, this isn't 1964, and we don't get that excited about cars anymore. But this new one is a Mustang for sure, and it might just be the car that makes driving fun again. One more thing: This pony isn't German or Japanese. It's pure Detroit."
:beer:

ace0215 10/5/04 12:08 PM

sure it's a girl's car...they just forgot to mention that it was a guys car too :)

kevinb120 10/5/04 12:08 PM

Even though the author wears diapers and probably thinks that SAABs are the true performance experience, the article isnt that bad.

MaverickMLFD371 10/5/04 12:10 PM

this guy must not have any balls, let alone be married to anyone to say that poo about this car

rhumb 10/5/04 12:14 PM

Seems to presume "girls" automatically want only style to the disregard over performanc or vehicle dynamics, though they are obvioiusly playing to strereotypes with such an assertion. Rather, I think Ford ought to and can chew gum and wolk at the same time, i.e., appeal to different parts of the Mustang market equally well, something they haven't always done to the best with the current car which essentially has had to rely predominantly on straight line performance and overwrought styling to keep interest up, leaving those wanting style to aging styling, an ancient chassis, poor ergonomics, mediocre materials, tepid handling dynamics, and agrarian V6 and crude ride. The '05 probably goes farther in appealing to this "girl's" market than the improvements to the "boy's" GT, which already is fast and posts good numbers.

MaverickMLFD371 10/5/04 12:15 PM

i just went on the site and wrote a comment to the editor and told them they can publish my comment if they want, its a free country, let anyone be heard

kevinb120 10/5/04 12:24 PM

Originally posted by rhumb@October 5, 2004, 1:17 PM
Seems to presume "girls" automatically want only style to the disregard over performanc or vehicle dynamics, though they are obvioiusly playing to strereotypes with such an assertion.
Maybe in the case of Mini/350Z/Murano/Beetle/PT/Crossfire, but not mustangs. B)

kn7671 10/5/04 12:25 PM

They state that because the majority of Mustangs sold are V6's, and the majority of Mustang V6 owners are women.

As for the GT, the ownership is slightly shifted towards men, but GT Mustangs only account for about 30-40% of the Mustangs built.

Now for the Cobra models, the majority of these are sold to men, but the Cobra's only represent a small percentage of all Mustangs built.

So in essence, Forbes, or anyone else, is correct to state that the Mustang is a womens car because they will typically see women driving one.

BLAKE 10/5/04 12:59 PM

The original 65-66 has often been referred to as a "secretary's car". Even Carroll Shelby has said that. The difference is the men that take a cute, mild mannered car and turn it into a monster. :-D

WarningSLO 10/5/04 01:03 PM

I go to school in Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, and unfortunately we fit into this stereotype perfectly. Excluding trucks, Civics and V6 Mustangs are the two most common cars on campus. And guess who drives all those Mustangs, yup, a bunch of twenty something girls. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, I'm just saying that we fit the stereotype, and that i miss the sound of the V8, 'cause I rarely hear it. Actually thats not true, i hear lots of V8 trucks with obnoxious exhaust pitches and lifts that would make you think you were at a monster truck rally... :bang:

Proc 10/5/04 01:27 PM

A girl's car?

I've said it before and will say it again...V6 or 8, auto or stick, hard top or 'vert, its a Mustang and no gender, ethnic background, religion, income level, choice of beer, firetrucks, scuba gear or bulletin boards can make it any less cool.

I don't car if a guy is in a convertible V6 or a woman is in a souped up GT. Both are still Mustangs.

VillianousBlak 10/5/04 01:33 PM

If you don't like the stereotype you could always buy a Camaro. :jester:

I'm sure teh veesicks appeals to women and is purchased by them but i see way to many "non car people" in general in them to believe that. Old guys, old ladys, ricers, blondes, etc. I'm doubt any more than 60% of sixers are driven by women... Just from what I see. :dunno:

edit: The SEs drove buyers away???? :scratch: What a tard. Of course the mass of buyers isn't going to trade in their existing car for a SE once it comes out, nor are most sports cars repeat buyers. Guess he's never heard of a halo car, and is apparently worlds too stupid to realize that enthusiast buy enthusiast models. :rolleyes: darn.

I'm about 25% done with myt requirments for my english major maybe I should start writing for Forbes. :angry:

Edit: And I'm sure that "contradiction" between buyers and builders is going to spell certain death for the mustang now that it's the last surviving muscle car ( :( ... We shall return) and that it's had that same contradiction for all forty years of its life span. What an hiney!!!!1!1one

Lynx4Ben 10/5/04 01:36 PM

I have to agree. Being a male college student I pay close attention to the opposite sex. Around campus there are by far more girls driving mustangs than guys. Lets face it, the Mustang has style and girls love that. Why do you think they spend countless hours cloth shopping.

Us guys we want a pair of bluejeans and a V8. Who cares about style if it can run the 60 under 5.

Grantsdale 10/5/04 01:39 PM

Don't forget though, girls also go crazy for guys that drive stangs.

Paris MkVI 10/5/04 01:44 PM

Originally posted by kevinb120@October 5, 2004, 12:11 PM
Even though the author wears diapers and probably thinks that SAABs are the true performance experience, the article isnt that bad.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Galaxie 10/5/04 01:47 PM

The reason the Mustang has survived is because of its appeal to both men and women.

I would say the heavy majority of F-Body buyers were men, while it is a guy's car no doubt, you can't buy them anymore.

Paris MkVI 10/5/04 01:49 PM

Nice pic, VillanousBlak, funny as :devil:

I'm glad she is so worried about the jackhammers that she apparently forgot about the CANCER STICK NAIL COFFIN in her hand! :rofl2:

bigd73 10/5/04 01:57 PM

The statements made about the V6 mustang are probably true. heck my daughter has one and I bought it for her. But as someone at Ford said, “The V6 is the only reason the Mustang is still around” It gets the build numbers up and cost down so “college girls” can afford it. Its up to us, the people (men & women) that love this car for what it is, to keep is a true muscle car.
( Fire works, American flag waving in backround ) :flag2: :iwojima: