2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Mustang is a girl's car.

Search this Thread

Old 10/5/04, 05:33 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very low and pretty harsh ride. Handles well, and runs great -- but it's like a poor mans super car. A Mustang is more a traditional sporty car.
poor mans super car, I like that
Old 10/5/04, 05:59 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason why the Mustang has survived for 40 years and not only outsold ALL if its competition while burying most of them, is that the Mustang has broad appeal.

Much of what the ancient Jerry Flint says is correct, but he is totally out of touch on some other things.

Well, this isn't 1964, and we don't get that excited about cars anymore
I beg to differ. Mabe 80 year old fossiles like Jerry Flint do not get excited about cars, anymore, but there are millions of people who are more excited than ever, especially when it's regarding the 2005 Mustang.
Old 10/5/04, 06:02 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Grantsdale+October 5, 2004, 4:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grantsdale @ October 5, 2004, 4:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-2MustangJohn@October 5, 2004, 4:50 PM
I dare anyone, repeat, anyone to name one car that appeals to so many "stereotypes", e.g. men, women, older people, younger people, rich, not so rich, racers, ricers, any race, any body!!!!! B)
It pains me to say it ... but ... Civics ... [/b][/quote]

Civics? Close but I don't see rich old people in those things. I have driven
my daughter's Civic to work before and I felt like a girlie man. Then again,
how do you tell if the person driving the Civic is rich?
Old 10/5/04, 06:09 PM
Banned

I've seen it. The rich old people that want to spend money on things like cruises, vacations, etc. Or the rich old guys that have a nice vert but drive a civic for the winter.

As far as feeling like a girlie man ... I could never drive a civic, but, as he said, its groups, not single people. You can't please everybody, but you can please every group.
Old 10/5/04, 06:15 PM
Cobra Member

I have the sales figures from the '99 MY Mustang if anyone is interested...

For the V6 it is about 44-56 in favor of girls

and the GT is 40-60 in favor of guys...

Its pratically split in terms of demographics, everybody loves it...
(kinda like Raymond )
Old 10/5/04, 09:25 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by rhumb@October 5, 2004, 12:17 PM
Seems to presume "girls" automatically want only style to the disregard over performanc or vehicle dynamics, though they are obvioiusly playing to strereotypes with such an assertion. Rather, I think Ford ought to and can chew gum and wolk at the same time, i.e., appeal to different parts of the Mustang market equally well, something they haven't always done to the best with the current car which essentially has had to rely predominantly on straight line performance and overwrought styling to keep interest up, leaving those wanting style to aging styling, an ancient chassis, poor ergonomics, mediocre materials, tepid handling dynamics, and agrarian V6 and crude ride. The '05 probably goes farther in appealing to this "girl's" market than the improvements to the "boy's" GT, which already is fast and posts good numbers.
Just one problem with your post...

Ford used that stereotype and milked it for a decent profit. Take a look at the Ford Street Ka sold in Europe. Basically aimed at girls/women in their late teens and early 20's... and it's a sales success... has been for years now.
Old 10/5/04, 09:48 PM

Thanks for the article. Enjoyed the review. I think the author makes some good points and did not take it as a dig against Mustangs as being exclusively a girl's car.
Old 10/5/04, 09:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by fordguy@October 5, 2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the article. Enjoyed the review. I think the author makes some good points and did not take it as a dig against Mustangs as being exclusively a girl's car.
Agreed. Furthermore, people forget that the GT is a LOT more money if you don't have the extra $5,000... figure in higher insurance etc., and it's no wonder younger buyers opt for the V6 in general (unless mommy and daddy help pay for the GT).

I think I've seen an equal number of girls driving Pontiac Firebirds as men, but you don't hear any hint of "girl's car" there, do you (hear me Mr. Flint? )

Oh well, guess these folks need to meet some kind of quota for ridiculous comments in their articles and this dumb "girl's car" is just another one of them.
Old 10/5/04, 10:07 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

When I got my '99 GT, there defintely were a lot of women driving Stangs. However, it was rare to see a woman driving a GT. I never understood it to be honest, as someone said earlier, we are not longer in the 60s.

It was the new body that drew me, and the sound that made it a vehicle I had to have.

While I didnt make any mods to my '99, I have big plans for the new Pony. Starting with custom paint and interior, new tires and rims, and going from there. Mods also seem to be a prodominantly male play area, but, watch out boys, us gals are going to give you a run for your money... in style and on the streets.
Old 10/5/04, 10:10 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Galaxie@October 5, 2004, 3:50 PM
The reason the Mustang has survived is because of its appeal to both men and women.

I would say the heavy majority of F-Body buyers were men, while it is a guy's car no doubt, you can't buy them anymore.
If the car didn't appeal to women, what did they expect to "pick-up" with those F-bodies....... guys? Maybe it makes sense... <time to go to sleep> :bang:
Old 10/5/04, 10:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Bing here in LA all I see are BMW's and Mercedes. and almost all of them are driven by women...on cell phones...
My personal opinion, but I think the Stang got ugly in the early 70's and has gone downhill since.
this new 2005 will definately make the ladies driving them more attractive then that blond in the 94 V6 sick pony.

nothin hotter than a woman in a 67 V8 Stang!
Old 10/6/04, 01:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by AhhDrJones@October 5, 2004, 10:36 PM
nothin hotter than a woman in a 67 V8 Stang!
Swingers, anyone?

Heather Graham in a classic Stang? Aww, yeah!!! B)
Old 10/6/04, 01:33 AM
Cobra R Member

35GT Jasen
Middle aged we are however we are the bes !!! Make no mistake about it with NO payments of any kind and children out of school. We can walk in a dealership choose the one and write a check for our purchase. NUFF SAID
Old 10/6/04, 02:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like he should go for a spin in a fully blown 428 with nitrous. Then when the car stops just say: how did you dig my sisters car?
Old 10/6/04, 02:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Hey any car good enough for barbie is good enough for me hehe
Old 10/6/04, 05:29 AM
dke
Bullitt Member

RE: Red/Black.... glad you enjoyed my comment. (Poor mans super car). That's sort of what it drives like. Frankly the Mustangs (or 3 series that we both drive now) are far more practical day to day drivers.

One thing about the 3 series. Good car out of the box. Not much on customization. Everything is expensive and made by Hans in germany. I'm still impressed with how many hp per liter the Bavarians get versus Americans (stock). But they can't design a cup-holder to save their life. (A friend did the tour and asked them about that. The german engineer layed into him, saying, "Ven you drive, you should keep both hands on ze veel not stinking sodas!") A little too much the goose stepping attitude if you ask me. And frankly, the dealers have turned me off.

What's cool about Mustangs is how much you can add, modify, change, etc. From a little vert-6, to a mach, boss, bullitt, cobra, etc. From G-car, to racer, to dragger. You can bolt things on (for an affordable price), change things, and so on. So it isn't a chicks car -- it is a very customizable car that caters to many people. Chicks, dudes, young and old. Which is why it has sold so well over the years.
Old 10/6/04, 05:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Umm.... I LIKE girls to be driving Mustangs. a) They are usually hot. B) Definitely breaks the ice if you drive a similar car, just faster and more powerful.. c) Do you need a "C"??

Good incentive to keep your own clean inside and washed outside.

And if your girl already likes 'Stangs, what's not to like? Let the other guys buy minivans.
Old 4/26/05, 01:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Found this guys statement on another site:

net-cruizerMar 11 2005, 04:14
QUOTE(Liquid @ Mar 10 2005, 20:03)
(Seems to much like a chick car to me)

hmmm, never heard that befor. a "chick picking up car" maybe, but I've never known or heard of any chicks driving Mustangs.

retard!
Old 4/26/05, 01:22 PM
Bullitt Member

wow...this thread is 6months old.
Old 4/26/05, 01:23 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by southern_stang_girlee@April 26, 2005, 2:04 PM
Found this guys statement on another site:

net-cruizerMar 11 2005, 04:14
QUOTE(Liquid @ Mar 10 2005, 20:03)
(Seems to much like a chick car to me)

hmmm, never heard that befor. a "chick picking up car" maybe, but I've never known or heard of any chicks driving Mustangs.

retard!
Yeah, no kidding. I see just as many women driving Mustangs as men.

Quick Reply: The Mustang is a girl's car.