2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

MUST be said

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/04, 01:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Ripstang@September 2, 2004, 12:42 AM
Doe's anyone remember the dodge shelby charger back in the 80's
Yep. I read an interview with Shelby where he said he'd take it to Mulholland Drive and embarrass the you know what out of supposedly faster cars. Remember, that old guy was a pretty good race car driver in his day.
Old 9/2/04, 01:34 PM
FR500 Member

i think shelby is a genious and i got respect for the man.........if its anyone who makes the name 'mustang' its him. the best mustang to ever hit the road is the SHELBY GT 500KR
Old 9/2/04, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by RaGsHoCkEy88@September 2, 2004, 1:37 PM
i think shelby is a genious and i got respect for the man.........if its anyone who makes the name 'mustang' its him. the best mustang to ever hit the road is the SHELBY GT 500KR
sorry but im wavin the BS Flag on this one

Ford Made the Name Mustang, Iacocca, Made the Name Mustang, Shelby just came along, and souped a few up that were mass produced

and, the best Mustang ever is not the GT500KR, it is the 1969 Boss 429

so

SVT Cobra > Shelby Cobra

now, i say good day sir!
Old 9/2/04, 06:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ford Made the Name Mustang, Iacocca, Made the Name Mustang, Shelby just came along, and souped a few up that were mass produced

so

SVT Cobra > Shelby Cobra

now, i say good day sir!
and now, good sir I throw the same flag unto you...
the 1966 shelby cobra 429 is the fastest mustang ever built and just for proof of it

http://www.musclecargarage.com/50fastestmusclecars.html

so chew on that for a bit, not to mention the fact the name SVT wasn't even around until 92

edit to correct myself : founded in late 1991 and first SVT mustang in 92
Old 9/2/04, 06:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 05Mustangfan+September 2, 2004, 3:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (05Mustangfan @ September 2, 2004, 3:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RaGsHoCkEy88@September 2, 2004, 1:37 PM

so

SVT Cobra > Shelby Cobra

now, i say good day sir! [/b][/quote]
This thread is shamefully insipid, not because it doesen't have valid points but because the poster doesen't seem to know which one is his own.

It's perfectly natural to upset by a slightly modded exped milking the shelby, the mustang and the consumers, but to blame Carrol Shelby who, and this may just be me, I do not know in person, and calling him a geezer is childish beyond belief. :nono:

Not to mention the fact that kevin stated shelby is probably not the brain behind this to which, ahem, the poster agreed. :scratch:
Old 9/2/04, 06:49 PM
GT Member

Why would anyone hate on Carroll Shelby?

The man pioneered taking a basic car and tricking it out with a hotter powertrain, sport suspension, better brakes, etc. Ford hired Shelby in the 60's to modify the Mustang so they could beat Corvettes on the race track.

He has a history of taking mediocre performing cars, e.g. the Dodge Omnis and Chargers of the 80's, and turning them into very good performing cars. For those who don't remember, the '86 Dodge Omni GLHS ran the quarter mile in under 15 seconds. That was Corvette territory back then and out of a front-driver.

And Shelby did not approach Ford; Ford approached Shelby, both then and now. Let's be clear: Without Carroll Shelby, the Shelby Cobra and, later, the Shelby Mustang Cobra, there would never have been an SVT Mustang Cobra. :nono:

I'll guarantee you that if you ask him, John Coletti will tell you that Carroll Shelby is the inspiration behind every SVT Cobra. Trashing the man who has done more for Mustang performance than anyone is absurd.

Clint
Old 9/2/04, 06:59 PM
Cobra Member

Don't hate on a Shelby Exped. I don't even think we have a set of specs or pics of it yet...

Besides, what other company has a performance full size SUV? Infiniti? Come on, if it goes fast and looks cool, that's all that matters for a Shelby vehicle...so what if it gulps gas and can carry 7 kids to the local soccer field? Ya'll never be late to a saturday morning sale ever again!

If it has a chance of making a profit, FoMoCo will do it...and remember that's what makes money intensive projects like the Mustang possible.
Old 9/2/04, 11:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I think the topic starter needs to apologise...

Caroll Shelby is a LEGEND. The Shelby GT 350's and GT 500s, the Shelby Cobra, the most incredible sports car ever...all created by the man. And you want him out of town?

What the heck are you smoking? Go buy a GM or something...It would certainly explain a lot if you did...

You DON'T want a Shelby Mustang? WHAT? What is it? Mary? coke? Were you drunk? The 1967 Shelby GT 500 with a 427, Fords most legendary engine, this car is the most amazing car ever..And you don't want a Shelby Mustang....

um. ok. Ya, lay off the drinks or the needles or whatever it is you are on.

Old 9/2/04, 11:38 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Okay, that's enough.....

I generally don't like this topic. It's been discussed. We can't control what Ford's going to do. Maybe Shelby will replace SVT, maybe Shelby will only have SE's, maybe Shelby won't build a stang with Ford and will instead work independently.....who knows. If they offer a certain car, either buy it or not. Its the clearest way to express your opinion.

Arguing over whether he is a legend or an old hag is pointless. No one will change their views. Only flaming will result from a thread like this.

This topic is being put on the shelf. I don't want to see it again. :nono: