The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   Mother nature destroyed my baby. (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/mother-nature-destroyed-my-baby-405388/)

srichard 4/5/05 10:21 PM

The joys of living in Texas in the spring. I had just got home from work; the sun was coming out after some hard rain storms. I went inside, turned on the radio and started reading my MM&FF. Five minutes later the sky went dark and the hail just started pounding down. Golf ball size. All I could do was sit and watch the hail bounce off my car, as the tears fell down my face. The damage report is quite extensive. I can't even count how many hail dings the car has. That's not the worst of it. I also have a 02 Acura TL Type S. It is destroyed as well. :(

So any suggestions on an aftermarket hood would be welcome.

Any advice on which route to take. Paint Less Dent removal or the old fashion way?

Treadhead 4/5/05 10:28 PM

Man that totally bites! I think I might have actually went out and laid on my hood to protect it. I was afraid to go anywhere today since they were calling for severe storms today eventhough they claimed it would be east of Dallas. I would try to find a hood with air extractor vents like the new Shelby or something(3D Carbon I think had one). It would probably be cheaper to but a new hood instead of trying to fix it. Sorry about your hail damage.

GottaHaveIt 4/5/05 10:40 PM

Wow do like have a rider for your insurance that covers this kinda thing ? Ouch !

donkey 4/5/05 10:43 PM

Sorry to hear that, know how you feel. Same thing happend to my last car - a 2002 Acura RSX-S. Every panel was hail damaged, even the bottom half of the quarter panels...looked like a 3 year old went to town with a ball peen hammer. Even several cracks in the glass. Thank you tornado. Every body shop in the area was booked solid for at least 6 months thanks to the storm, had to call in a few favors in my hometown to get the work done. After nearly two months I had all new sheetmetal and fresh paint. It actually turned out really well and looked brand new - not a single tape line. And even though it was done through my insurance company nothing ever showed up on carfax.

Just shop around and don't let the insurance company tell you where to go. For every person that tells you x body shop is awesome, you will also find 100 that say they are terrible. Tell the shop you want to see cars they finished today, and inspect the work for attention to detail, factory parts, etc. Good luck...

wild stray 4/5/05 10:58 PM

That's a bummer. :notnice: I've never had it happen to me, but I have seen it many times with other cars. Good luck and I hope it turns out perfect for you in the end.

KizerSoze 4/6/05 12:18 AM

Originally posted by srichard@April 5, 2005, 11:24 PM
The joys of living in Texas in the spring. I had just got home from work; the sun was coming out after some hard rain storms. I went inside, turned on the radio and started reading my MM&FF. Five minutes later the sky went dark and the hail just started pounding down. Golf ball size. All I could do was sit and watch the hail bounce off my car, as the tears fell down my face. The damage report is quite extensive. I can't even count how many hail dings the car has. That's not the worst of it. I also have a 02 Acura TL Type S. It is destroyed as well. :(

So any suggestions on an aftermarket hood would be welcome.

Any advice on which route to take. Paint Less Dent removal or the old fashion way?

So sorry to hear about the damage. I am also in Dallas and had my windows tinted today and on the way home the sky was looking awfully evil...I remember mashing the pedal down a little harder with hopes to get home sooner and garage my stang...the area I'm in didn't get any hail but did see some strong winds and some medium rain...what area you in ?

TheLegend 4/6/05 05:51 AM

Sorry to hear. That is bad news. But maaaan, why did you not get it out of the hail or atleast throw some blankets over it. I cant beleive it. :scratch:

Good luck on the repairs.

sync007 4/6/05 06:02 AM

Man that stinks :( . I think that my father had the same problem and he used ice on a very hot and sunny day to pop the dings out. You could still see a small waver on the hood but you would have to look hard to see it.

It was on a 76' catty and cars were different then. :dunno:

Good luck

BTW CDC is comming out with a Shaker system in a little while. :dunno:

Captmojo 4/6/05 06:05 AM

:crying: :crying: :crying:
I'm sorry to hear that.

I saw the storms roll in and was hoping they would be out of here before I had to get my Black Beauty out for the evening.

I hope your able to get it fixed ASAP.

Compare prices on the stock hood and aftermarket ones, seeing that Insurance can pick up all or part of the tab on a new one.

srichard 4/6/05 06:38 AM

[/quote]

So sorry to hear about the damage. I am also in Dallas and had my windows tinted today and on the way home the sky was looking awfully evil...I remember mashing the pedal down a little harder with hopes to get home sooner and garage my stang...the area I'm in didn't get any hail but did see some strong winds and some medium rain...what area you in ?
[/quote]

I'm in Garland at the far east end of the George Bush. Yeah I rushed outside to get in my mustang and find shelter but it came down so fast I was to late. I love my car but it was not worth my life getting to it. It would have knocked me out. The hail was coming down so hard that it would bounce off my hood and fly about 10 feet. My car looked like a trampoline for hail.

snkbtn99 4/6/05 06:45 AM

Sorry to hear about the damage ..... Here is what you need to do ..... This is the perfect time to order that aftermarket hood you may have seen on the many show cars. Your insurance is going to pay to fix the damage (been there, done that 2x). Once you have your estimate done, get the replacement value of the hood from your body shop. If it within your budget to get the upgraded hood, have your body shop order the aftermarket hood and pay them the difference from the estimate of the stocker hood.

Did you car receive any body panel damage? If so, and the damage is not TOO deep, take your car to a dentless repair facility like Dent Doctor. They work MIRACLES on hail damage (remember, been there done that 2x).

As bad as it may seem now, you have an opportunity to get some work done to your car that you may have waited to do .... Normally the insurance settlement can absorb most of the $$ ....

Good luck ....

sharkstang 4/6/05 06:47 AM

Hi,

Wow, been in Florida for almost 30 years and don't recall ever seening hail here. Do you get that often in TX may I ask?

snkbtn99 4/6/05 06:50 AM

Originally posted by sharkstang@April 6, 2005, 6:50 AM
Hi,

Wow, been in Florida for almost 30 years and don't recall ever seening hail here. Do you get that often in TX may I ask?

Florida never sees hail .... I live in Ft Myers for 5 years and didn't see 1 drop .... It was when I moved back to KY that I see hail every year .... These darn storms come up out of no where and usually they occur when there is no cover ...go figure ..

HorsC 4/6/05 07:02 AM

There is a chance of hail today in Louisiana i wish i could have stayed home but i had school and couldn't miss! :crying: i just hope i get hope before it starts! Sorry about your damage though!

sharkstang 4/6/05 07:09 AM

Originally posted by snkbtn99+April 6, 2005, 7:53 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snkbtn99 @ April 6, 2005, 7:53 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-sharkstang@April 6, 2005, 6:50 AM
Hi,

Florida never sees hail .... I live in Ft Myers for 5 years and didn't see 1 drop .... It was when I moved back to KY that I see hail every year .... These darn storms come up out of no where and usually they occur when there is no cover ...go figure ..
[/b][/quote]

How do you like FT Meyers? My boss went up there to look at some investment property and liked the area. We are in S. Flordia.

GhostTX 4/6/05 07:42 AM

Paintless dent repair works wonders. My wife's car got beat up when that tornado rolled thru downtown Fort Worth a few years back. I forget the shop we used (insurance covered the whole thing), but they did the paintless dent repair and you can't even tell the car was ever touched.

Originally posted by sharkstang @ April 6@ 2005, 6:50 AM
Do you get that often in TX may I ask?
Guaranteed in North Texas every year. Some years are alot worse than others. This is why when I lived in apartments I always got one with some form of covered parking and why today I refuse to turn my garage in to U-Haul storage.

lodom 4/6/05 08:50 AM

I'm really sorry to hear about your car. I've had it happen on a car in Memphis.

The aluminum hood on the GT is more difficult to work dents out of from what I understand. I don't know what the other body panels are made of. I'd try the dent removal process first. Ask some dealers who they use, or get some presonal recommendations.

GottaHaveIt 4/6/05 08:54 AM

find out the 2005 Mustang vin #'S do a google vin search for to see if any have been totaled where and maybe can search the wrecker out and buy used ? got the idea from another post :scratch:

azlitigator 4/6/05 09:46 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your cars! Your insurance company is going to be thrilled to see two very nice cars with extensive damage B)

Xader Vartec 4/6/05 10:10 AM

How often does it hail in Texas? Here's a little story about that particular storm:

I was driving home from Los Colinas (between Fort Worth and Dallas) to my home in Castle Hills (Near where Carollton, Lewisville and The Colony meet) and drove through that storm (I was in my Honda Civic). I first heard a smack on the side of my car and thought I got hit by a rock. Then I saw the hail come down. I quickly went into the left turn lane, waited for the light to turn green and then turned into a gas station with covered pumps.

The station was PACKED with cars. I could only fit in enough to cover the front half of the car. It hit me that all these people were in this area and blocking each other. I then realized "who's gonna want to leave DURING the storm?"

About five minutes later the hail passed and like a syncronized car event everyone on queue started pulling out. I don't recall a single person complaining, honking or yelling for others to get out of the way.

It was just another day in Texas.