2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping the car our of Ford's sight

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/04, 09:36 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read and heard too many stories about new car warranties being revoked for minor mods like reflashes and intakes. I can imagine that simply removing the HC trap could invalidate the warranty.

Is there any thing wrong with using independent garages for scheduled maintenance so Ford service techs will not become aware of any mods done during the warranty period?
Old 12/22/04, 09:41 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I thought that the servicing had to be done by Ford for the warranty to remain active - precisely for the reasons you have mentioned!
Old 12/22/04, 09:52 AM
V6 Member

They can't void a warranty for MODS! They can only DENY a repair if the mod caused the parts failure.

I believe you could use independent shops, make sure you save all the receipts. If something goes wrong, you will need to prove you had all the routine maintenance performed.
Old 12/22/04, 09:58 AM
Cobra Member

no, Ford cannot void a warranty for simply servicing your vehicle anywhere else...
If you have a warranty claim, and at that time if it can be determined by Ford that the failure is due to a modification, then Ford can say they will not warranty that particular issue, but they can't tell you that your warranty is void because there is a modification..
That's all determined when you are addressing a specific issue.

i.e. If you replaced the brake rotors with cross drilled rotors, and your power steering pump goes bad, they're not going to tell you that because you modified your car that the entire warranty is void. On the other hand, if you change rotors and you have a bearing failure, they may be able to determin that the bearing failed because the rotors you put on the car generated excess heat, and therefore aren't going to warranty the bearings..... what may be voided is directly related to the issue at hand....
If you reflash your computer and there is no failure caused by it, then there's no problem.
Old 12/22/04, 09:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes, independent shops are fine for maintenance. Simply keep the receipts in the warranty service record book that you receive with your car. You can even do the maintenance yourself as long as you keep the receipts for oil and filters in the book.
Old 12/22/04, 10:00 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by tekman13@December 22, 2004, 11:02 AM
Yes, independent shops are fine for maintenance. Simply keep the receipts in the warranty service record book that you receive with your car. You can even do the maintenance yourself as long as you keep the receipts for oil and filters in the book.
This is my understanding too.
Old 12/22/04, 10:02 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by jarednt1@December 22, 2004, 10:55 AM
They can't void a warranty for MODS! They can only DENY a repair if the mod caused the parts failure.

I believe you could use independent shops, make sure you save all the receipts. If something goes wrong, you will need to prove you had all the routine maintenance performed.
.... you don't even need to prove that routine maintenance has been done.... bottom line is, you can drive the car without changing the oil until the engine seizes, and they can't tell you your warranty is void because of the lack of maintenance. They're going to tell you that.... but it all comes down to how much of a fight you put up.
By all means, routinely maintain you vehicle as recommended by the manufacturer. But, if you change your own oil and don't save receipts or don't log it and have it notorized, they can't tell you that you're screwed because they didn't change the oil for you.
Old 12/22/04, 10:56 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FORD has to prove anything you have done has caused the failure. I can slap a supercharger on this puppy and if the tranny blows they can't say "You have to pay for it because you put a supercharger on the car". They have to prove my mod is what caused the failure....

However, the question is just regarding standard scheduled maintenance. You can get this done anywhere as other said and just keep the receipts. I have never had any of my cars serviced at the dealership.
Old 12/22/04, 11:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Here is what my guy told me at my Ford Dealer......

The only time, the car, or any mods you put into it, can void the warranty, is if the dealer cannot fix a problem that the mod may have caused. If they can fix it, by the dealer, its covered underwarranty.

If the vehicle needs to be sent to the factory because the dealer can't fix it, or the engine needs to be replaced, then your warranty is voided.
Old 12/22/04, 11:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by tekman13@December 22, 2004, 9:02 AM
Bobby, it wouldn't do much good saving receipts for your own oil changes IMO. After all, all you have is a receipt for oil and a filter......and who's to say that it wasn't oil and a filter for a different car? B)
Old 12/22/04, 11:30 AM
Cobra Member

As far as the mods go the only thing dealers look down on are chips, superchargers or other major engine changes. If you plan to do anything like this check with your dealer first, some are nicer then others in regards to mods.
Old 12/22/04, 11:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

i was told by dealer certain mods void warranty. he didnt go into specifics
Old 12/22/04, 11:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Giddyup+December 22, 2004, 12:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Giddyup @ December 22, 2004, 12:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tekman13@December 22, 2004, 9:02 AM
Bobby, it wouldn't do much good saving receipts for your own oil changes IMO. After all, all you have is a receipt for oil and a filter......and who's to say that it wasn't oil and a filter for a different car? B) [/b][/quote]
I agree 100%, but this is what the beaurocrats who decide these things saw as acceptable proof of maintenance. I suppose they figure something is better than nothing. I am simply stating what my my dealer indicated as best practices for maintaining the validity of my warranty.

Generally, in the case of engine seizure or failure, you are only asked to prove when the last time you had your vehicle serviced was, as was the case with my father's '94 S-10 pickup (which went through 3 transmissions by 70,000 miles and an engine that seized at 97,000 just before the extended warranty ran up). Then a simple receipt from Jiffy lube or an auto parts store will suffice for this requirement.

Just keep records and your donkey will be covered.
Old 12/22/04, 11:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure if this is true or not. A guy at a parts store told me that you have to use the manufacturer recomended parts to keep from having a warranty repair denied.

For instance, if you change the oil filter, it has to be one that is approved by Ford, or they might say that was the reason for the damage.
Old 12/22/04, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I think it just has to meet or exceed OEM specifications. (Basically, yeah, what you said.)

Makes sense.
Old 12/22/04, 12:18 PM
mav
GT Member

Old 12/22/04, 12:19 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Before I even drove off, they set up my first maintenance appt.

Book says change oil 5,000 miles. I gotta go in at 3.
Old 12/22/04, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by jarednt1@December 22, 2004, 6:55 PM

exactly- they cant void your warranty just cuz you put intake on it... as long as it didnt cause the problem with whatever you're having problems with.....
Old 12/22/04, 02:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Stinky Old Fart@December 22, 2004, 10:39 AM
Is there any thing wrong with using independent garages for scheduled maintenance so Ford service techs will not become aware of any mods done during the warranty period?
Absolutely not. If they required you to go to Ford for maintenance in order to keep your warranty in-tact, they would have to do all maintenance for free. Otherwise, you are free to take it anywhere you want for oil changes etc.

Now that would be a pretty sweet deal, but they aint gonna do it.
Old 12/22/04, 04:32 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,538 Likes on 1,873 Posts
FYI, I believe Ford has the capability of Pulling Information out of Some of their Computers If they Have been Flashed or Not! Some Dealers nut up over any mods some don't! It pays to Have a Good Relationship with your Selling Dealer! I recommend You Buy your Vehicle Where you TRUST them to Service it! Dealers Appreciate Loyalty! Don't You! If you Develop a Good Relationship with your Dealer They are More likely to Help you out when You are in Trouble Such as When your Transmission Expires 100 miles after your Warranty! How would you Like it if You were a Dealer and Someone who lived in your Town Bought a Car Out of town. Never Had any work done at your Dealership and Asked you for a Favor Because The Dealer who sold them the car could not seem to Help them! It's a rough Position Because You only Have So Much Resources That Ford Motor Company Allows per Dealership! After That it comes out of the Dealers Pocket! And the Dealer is Most Likely Going to help their LOYAL Customers! Instead taking the us against them attitude and assuming what a Dealers Warranty Criteria is why not pay a visit to a few dealerships and Tell them what you want to do to your Car and ask if it will a warranty issue! All shops are either Good Bad or Indifferent!
it depends on the People! Oh, once you find The Service Department you Trust! Go to two or three Dealership Sales Departments and get in Writing The Best Deal on Your New Car! THEN take it to the Dealership with the Service Department you trust! The Sales Department will Most always Give you a better Deal That way and it's a win win scenario for All concerned!

Quick Reply: Keeping the car our of Ford's sight