2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Just My Luck!

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/05, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer called today and my ETA is June 4th, and it just so happens that I'll be in Vegas during that weekend. 5 months wait, and I won't even be able to see the stang come off the truck.

Inventory Manager said they would put it on the showroom floor while I was gone...I'm worried about people rubbing against it and stratching it, think I have anything to worry about???

Also, dealer suggested that I put the "Winter Protection Package" on the car which is a wax based product they apply and it protects the paint better than regular wax. Is this actually worth it, anyone else do this??
Old 5/24/05, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

I would definitely say "no thank you" to the showroom floor. I would also say "no thank you" to the Winter Protection Package. Put some Zaino on her and she'll be fine. Why pay good money for Ford to put some supposedly awesome wax on your car - they'll charge you a few hundred for what you could do for under $50. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 5/24/05, 10:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Definitely no to the winter package. As far as the showroom, I think its a wash. People will be looking at it either way, whether its on the showroom or in the lot. At least it won't be exposed to the elements in the showroom.
Old 5/24/05, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

I had the same timing.
Tell them no to the Showroom.
Have them lock it back in the controled service lot area. Preferably inside the building. that is what they did for me.

Also make sure the Sales manager has BOTH sets of keys.

Mine was safe, sound and beautiful when I picked it up 5 days later.

Funny thing is everyone knew it was there and word got out. In the 5 days, they had 24 offers to buy it. One guy, got really upset because they would not take $5K over sticker for it.

Enjoy Vegas
Old 5/24/05, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by RudyUD@May 24, 2005, 11:59 AM
Dealer called today and my ETA is June 4th, and it just so happens that I'll be in Vegas during that weekend. 5 months wait, and I won't even be able to see the stang come off the truck.

Inventory Manager said they would put it on the showroom floor while I was gone...I'm worried about people rubbing against it and stratching it, think I have anything to worry about???

Also, dealer suggested that I put the "Winter Protection Package" on the car which is a wax based product they apply and it protects the paint better than regular wax. Is this actually worth it, anyone else do this??
Forget that dealer applied stuff. You can do a better and much more thorough job of it yourself. No matter what anyone says about "oh, the rail dust will just wash off", don't buy that. You'd be surprised what's stuck to the paint. Take it home....

1. Dawn wash
2. Clay bar
3. Dawn wash
4. Apply polish of choice... Zaino, Meguiars etc
5. Wax
6. ENJOY

This is what I've always done to my cars. I have a '99 Camaro currently (05 on order) and nobody would ever guess it's almost 7 years old by looking at the paint.

Ask them to put your car away from prying eyes. I was losing faith in getting the car I ordered so I searched and found one local that was exactly what I had ordered. I had a signed sales contract, a $200 deposit and was approved for financing. They put the car in the service lane. The day I was supposed to go pick it up, they called several time that morning and said there were other parties "interested" in the car. It was sitting where anybody could see it and it was all cleaned up. I told them I was waiting for my ride down there to pick it up and would be in that afternoon to get it. When i got there I was told "it's sold". I said "yeah, I bought it". No, it was sold to someone else!!!

I think somone offered more for it than the deal I had and the greedy bastards sold it out from under me :bang:

My advice would be to have them HIDE IT somewhere. In the service building or back in a private area or whatever. Some guys gonna walk in and say "I'll give you $xxxx more for it" and it'll be gone. Sorry, but I was burned and if it happened to me, it could happen to anyone.

Be careful!!!
Old 5/24/05, 10:56 AM

Just casting my vote - NO to the showroom floor and NO to the winter protection package.

Why take the risk that car will be scratched by someone? I would also suggest that you politely ask them not to use the car as a demo while you are gone. I can't imagine that they would, but it may not hurt to let them know that you wouldn't appreciate it.

The winter protection package is just a way for them to make some more money. Put a few coats of a high quality wax on it while the paint is still new and you'll be all set.

Congrats on your new ride!
Old 5/24/05, 11:05 AM

Thanks everyone for their opinion, I feel the same way, and I'm a little shocked that the guy (Inventory Manager) who has helped me through this entire 5 month order process would suggest two of the worst ideas for a new Mustang.

I was also thinking about having them install my magnaflow catbacks while I was away, but why risk the "joyride" factor while I'm gone. I would hate to come back and see more miles than expected on the odometer.
Old 5/24/05, 11:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Rudyud

Dealer called today and my ETA is June 4th,
Go buy it and have a trusted third party take delivery for you if it if it is in good shape.

Come home with it in your driveway.
Old 5/24/05, 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

What dealer would put that in the showroom. It's a SOLD car. Showroom is for cars on sale to show them off so the dealer can sell them. They don't need the press to sell a GT. Hence no reason to put it on the floor. Wouldn't want every person that comes to that dealer touching everytihng in my car.
Old 5/24/05, 12:13 PM
FR500 Member

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT let them scam u into extra money. soo dont buy the protection package they tried it with me and i said NO NO NO. 3 times.
Old 5/24/05, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Stinger FIM-92@May 24, 2005, 10:23 AM
Forget that dealer applied stuff. You can do a better and much more thorough job of it yourself. No matter what anyone says about "oh, the rail dust will just wash off", don't buy that. You'd be surprised what's stuck to the paint. Take it home....

1. Dawn wash
2. Clay bar
3. Dawn wash
4. Apply polish of choice... Zaino, Meguiars etc
5. Wax
6. ENJOY

This is what I've always done to my cars. I have a '99 Camaro currently (05 on order) and nobody would ever guess it's almost 7 years old by looking at the paint.

Good advice, but after no. 2 wash with a regular, gentle car wash - not Dawn again. And you should only do *either* step 4 or 5, not both. :scratch: